Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ESB Meter Installed - Bills doubled since

Options
  • 16-07-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Has anyone had a new Eelctricity meter installed in the last year or two? We got one installed in August last year and ever since the bills have practically doubled.

I've rang ESB but they keep telling me it's the consumption, but nothing has changed other than the meter.

I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem or if anyone could give me any advice on what to do as I am getting nowhere when contacting the ESB about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MaryFMOR wrote: »
    Has anyone had a new Eelctricity meter installed in the last year or two? We got one installed in August last year and ever since the bills have practically doubled.

I've rang ESB but they keep telling me it's the consumption, but nothing has changed other than the meter.

I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem or if anyone could give me any advice on what to do as I am getting nowhere when contacting the ESB about it.

I would imagine that the ESB are correct.

You could install one of these and see if the readings correspond with the ESB units. I think they are quite accurate.

It is a nice gadget to have and they generally result in making people more efficient anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

seems odd if the bills have actually doubled and they're not estimated or anything

can you do an accurate kwh log with those owl things 2011?

possible you might have been undercharged if it was an old 20amp meter they replaced -i don't know much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The owl meters seem accurate enough, although they dont give a true kwh reading, which cant be done by just monitoring the current which is what they do with a small CT around the live feed. They assume a fixed 230v for example. So realistically they would be giving a KVAh reading while assuming a fixed 230v. But it would be reasonably accurate.

I think the one he has linked to does keep a log you can view on a pc, so that would certainly be a good idea.

Undercharging/underreading on the previous meter would be a possibility alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op you should be comparing the kwh units rather then the total billprice as with price changes it wont be accurate using the bill totals.

As already said, the chances are the old meter was under reading as to the new meter over reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

M cebee wrote: »

possible you might have been undercharged if it was an old 20amp meter they replaced -i don't know much

This. It was very easy to saturate the old meters, the 15(45A) ones, that were installed in the days when the 'lectric was handy so people could see their oil lamps properly when they went to light them.

Many was the farmer that got a shock when they were replaced en masse some years ago, and the true cost of running a milking parlour piggy backed on to the house supply became apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

M cebee wrote: »

can anyone confirm this undercharging issue, a friend of mine bills are 3 to 4 times more than mine she's in a new house mine is possible 70 yr old .
    we can't figure how she's using more than me, if this is true i wont be changing the old box in the hall

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The owl meters seem accurate enough, although they dont give a true kwh reading, which cant be done by just monitoring the current which is what they do with a small CT around the live feed. They assume a fixed 230v for example. So realistically they would be giving a KVAh reading while assuming a fixed 230v. But it would be reasonably accurate.
    Agreed, but it will be accurate enough so that you will know if your ESB meter is within reason.
    I think the one he has linked to does keep a log you can view on a pc, so that would certainly be a good idea.
    Correct. The problem is it does not work with Macs :(
    Undercharging/underreading on the previous meter would be a possibility alright.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

I upgraded meter recently.
    Bills went crazy (more than doubled - almost tribbled )but it turned out to be confudion regarding the decmal point during meter reading.
    It was hard to pinpoint as part of the first bill was made up from the old meter reading and the remainder from the new meter.
    It took a lot of phone calls to get it sorted eventually needed to get a vistit from ESB themselves to read meter.
    Seems to gave gone back to being just more expensive now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if your really worried, then get one of these meters fitted in your consumer unit.
    http://www.dhmeters.com/Din-Rail-Electricity-Meter.php
    this one: PRO-1TE Electricity Meter

there very accurate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maybe your meter was replaced as it was underestimating? TBH meters are rarely wrong, especially new ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement