Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal record?

Options
  • 16-07-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I am going to america on holidays soon. Was just wondering does anybody know how in depth the US immigration can get on irish files. When I was 18 I was involved in an incident where the garda ended up taking my name and address but I wasn't arrested or convicted. I never heard anything from the gardai after that. This was 8 years ago. However I heard that the gardai put everything on their pulse system. Just wondering does anybody know what level of access us immigration has to the pulse system? Could my name be flagged at the airport or would this all be done at the esta stage. My esta has been approved. Do they check these things out prior to approving an esta or is the esta just an automated response?
    Anyone with any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 johntom

Ok thanks, it was a drink related incident and the garda gave me a right grilling and could prob see that he scared the life out of me so thats prob why he didn't arrest me. Was just worried that if they put it up on the pulse system that the immigration could view it and it may appear to them that i was arrested and that i would have lied on the form. I'm not sure what kind of level of access they have to pulse. Is it just convictions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

johntom wrote: »
    Is it just convictions?

Here is the list of the criminal offences which will go against you, it's not just being arrested or even being convicted.

The following is a list of crimes that even if convicted, don't count against you when applying for the ESTA.

(1) Black market violations;
    (2) Breach of the peace;
    (3) Carrying a concealed weapon;
    (4) Desertion from the Armed Forces;
    (5) Disorderly conduct;
    (6) Drunk or reckless driving;
    (7) Drunkenness;
    (8) Escape from prison;
    (9) Failure to report for military induction;
    (10) False statements (not amounting to perjury or involving fraud);
    (11) Firearms violations;
    (12) Gambling violations;
    (13) Immigration violations;
    (14) Liquor violations;
    (15) Loan sharking;
    (16) Lottery violations;
    (17) Possessing burglar tools (without intent to commit burglary);
    (18) Smuggling and customs violations (where intent to commit fraud is
    absent);
    (19) Tax evasion (without intent to defraud); and
    (20) Vagrancy.

p.s. the list isn't complete and is an just an extract of the pdf file.

But the questions asks have you ever been arrested or convicted so how can it go against you if you haven't?

But the questions asks have you ever been arrested or convicted so how can it go against you if you haven't?

This is for the ESTA right ?

Re-read the question :

B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

You answer "no" to anything that doesn't involve moral turpitude (not always an easy thing to define I grant you).

What i mean is if it is defined as moral turpitude but you weren't arrested or convicted of it? How do americans define arrest?

• Advertisement

What i mean is if it is defined as moral turpitude but you weren't arrested or convicted of it? How do americans define arrest?

I'm pretty sure like we do. To have been arrested you would have been told that you were being arrested. :)

If you weren't arrested or convicted of anything then there is nothing to worry about. The US has zero access to Irish criminal records unless by request.
    Believe me, the US aren't interested in the fact that a garda took down your name and we get 100's of people each year asking the same question as you who don't seem to have any problems in getting in.

ya i know. you have to be taken to a garda station to be arrested? its just this pulse thing thats puttin me off cos supposedly they record everything on it. I read somewhere that immigration do have access so it just got me thinkin. Maybe i should request my garda file but i think they ask why ur requesting it so don't want to bring undue attention to myself either

ya i know. you have to be taken to a garda station to be arrested?

Well you'd be taken after having been arrested. It would be really hard to have been arrested and not know about it. After the arrest you either get out on bail or appear in the District Court after being transferred from the Garda Station.
    It's just this pulse thing thats puttin me off cos supposedly they record everything on it. I read somewhere that immigration do have access so it just got me thinkin.

The USA officials don't have access to Pulse.
    Maybe i should request my garda file but i think they ask why ur requesting it so don't want to bring undue attention to myself either

I'm sorry but that's just being silly.

Here's some help in requesting records.

I was fairly drunk when the guard was taking my name but don't remember he saying I was arrested. I don't think they can arrest you in the street and then let you go. I presume it wasn't even put on the pulse system anyway otherwise i would have got a summons. I did read of a case where some well known guy, i think he was a solicitor was refused entry after the immigration officials checked pulse. There's no proof they don't have access to pulse is there?

I was fairly drunk when the guard was taking my name but don't remember he saying I was arrested. I don't think they can arrest you in the street and then let you go. I presume it wasn't even put on the pulse system anyway otherwise i would have got a summons. I did read of a case where some well known guy, i think he was a solicitor was refused entry after the immigration officials checked pulse. There's no proof they don't have access to pulse is there?

If they didn't take you to the station then you weren't arrested. Even if you were arrested for being drunk or breaching the peace it wouldn't make any difference anyhow as they are 'accepted' regarding the ESTA visa.

> There's no proof they don't have access to pulse is there

What do you want as proof? After 9/11 the USA requested access to European criminal records to check everyone flying into their country but it was refused. It's against European law to share these type of records though some countries like the UK have other arrangements in place.

• Advertisement

I'm prob just being paranoid, its just I didn't see this European law written down anywhere even though i searched for it. I did however come across a case where it said us immigration officials looked up pulse. If what you are saying is true then you could just answer no even if you have a string of convictions and still get in. That doesn't make any sense

If what you are saying is true then you could just answer no even if you have a string of convictions and still get in. That doesn't make any sense

It's how it's always worked, as a trust-based system with the knowledge that should you break that trust then you don't get another 'go' at getting into the country. Don't believe that the USA is this all-powerful beast which has the power to do whatever it likes.

They can request records but they need to have a case to prove first and the matter is handled by Interpol.
    believe me, they have much, much more important things to be doing than asking the Garda if they spoke to a chap who was drunk because he want's to visit the USA. And even if they did have access to Pulse it wouldn't make any difference. Had you been caught and convicted for drunk-driving and Homeland security knew this it still wouldn't matter as it's not a crime that prevents you from getting the ESTA :)

This site has a lot of the information that you may be interested in...

European Court Rejects Data Transfer to US.

The European Court of Justice has just ruled that the 2004 airline passenger data transfer agreement (pdf) between the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the European Union is to be voided after September 30, 2006. The Court held that the agreement was illegal because it exceeded the scope of the EU 1995 Directive on data protection, which excludes operations concerning public security, defense, state criminal law and state security. Since the framework for data transfer was dictated by public authorities, and amounted to processing operations concerning public security, the Court held that the Commission lacked legal competence under the Directive to address public and state security issues. Privacy International describes the holding as a "pyrrhic victory" because the Court ruled on the basis of legal authority, and did not address the privacy implications of the transfer of the personal data to the U.S. The European Data Protection Supervisor is concerned that the ruling has created a loophole because it is uncertain that the Directive protects data collected for commercial reasons but used for police matters. (May 30)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

to have a criminal record you must be issued with a charge sheet, which explain your charge, you dont have one, your good to go dont worry

You certainly seem to know ur stuff ponster. In the link you sent on there was a new agreement in 2007 which was unclear on what type of data was being shared. It said in exceptional circumstance they could view sensitive data as long as they left the eu konow 48 hours after it was accessed. does this not mean they can view records?

What category would drinking a can of beer in the street fall under?

What category would drinking a can of beer in the street fall under?

You were arrested for that? It's "drunkenness" I guess.

I wasn't arrested. It wasn't even my can of beer, i was holding it cos one of the lads went into a pub on the way for a leak and the guard seen me with it but he just took my name and address. It was just the fact that they throw everyones name and address on their system that prompted my initial query and i developed an interest in the subject thereafter. Hence all my questions. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your help.

No worries. You'd have to be formally charged with a crime to begin to worry about non-eligibility for US visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Spurs athletic 217

Hi
    I got my name taken by the guards a few weeks ago for having about twenty euro worth of weed on me. Even though the guard said it was nothing he took all my details and said I might have a summons to a district court in three months. However he also said that it wouldn't be much and that I wouldn't even get a fine but a probation or something. Do you think I'll have trouble getting into the us ?

Hi
    I got my name taken by the guards a few weeks ago for having about twenty euro worth of weed on me. Even though the guard said it was nothing he took all my details and said I might have a summons to a district court in three months. However he also said that it wouldn't be much and that I wouldn't even get a fine but a probation or something. Do you think I'll have trouble getting into the us ?

No. Only if you were charged and arrested with dealing would it be an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement