Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrading 10Mb BB to 20Mb

• 16-07-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I know of 3 people who are all on the 10Mb BB package who have all been upgraded to 20Mb this week, I wonder if the 12Mb package will also be upgraded soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

Im with UPC for about 2 years now, I had the 10Mb BB got a text one day saying they were upgrading me to 15Mb and bout 4 months later i got anothe message saying they upgraded me again to 20M b all i had to do was unplug the modem from the wall and now i have 20Mb for the last year or so... happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

thebull09 wrote: »
    Im with UPC for about 2 years now, I had the 10Mb BB got a text one day saying they were upgrading me to 15Mb and bout 4 months later i got anothe message saying they upgraded me again to 20M b all i had to do was unplug the modem from the wall and now i have 20Mb for the last year or so... happy days

Just rebooted my niece's modem here in Lucan. Went from 10 to 19 megs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I've been getting speeds of nearly 25Mb since last weekend.

I started out with upc on the 5Mb package last summer. This is my third free upgrade in less than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

You have to say UPC are really getting their act together!!!
    Great to see this type of proactively.
    Got a TXT yesterday upgrading me from 10 to 20Mb/sec. It costs them no more money and yet leaves satisfied and loyal customers!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I too was on 5Mb awhile back and got a text to say that I am on 20Mb now. From speed tests I am getting 25/2.5. Not bad at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The upc speed test tells me I'm on 19.7mb but after trying other speed test sites my results vary from test to test. each individual test is consistent, i.e same results on each test when tried 3 or 4 times but each site gives me a different result.

http://speedtest.upc.ie/ 19.7megs

http://www.speedtest.net/ 4.8 megs

http://www.broadbandireland.ie/speed-test.php 4.7megs

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php 3.7 megs

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ 1.48

http://www.computerrepaircentral.com/broadbandspeedtest.html 6.98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem is, you have no idea of the available bandwidth at each speedtest site, or how many people are using it at the same time.

other factors will also play a part too, so you aren't likely to get an accurate result from any of them.

speedtest.net has multiple destinations to test from, so try different ones and you'll most likely get different results, depending on the available bandwidth at each one.

once your connection speed gets to a certain point, the only way to get a truly accurate picture is to download multiple large files over FTP from several nodes at ftp.heanet.ie using a download manager and measuring the aggregate speed from that.

if you have 20mbps then a single file should be fine, but a download manager is still a good idea to make sure you are getting the most out of the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Are people sure that they are getting this upgrade for free? I know somebody who just got upgraded from 10Mbps to 20Mbps and included in the letter was a note that the subscription fee would be €25 p.m. from September - and increase of €2p.m. on what they were paying up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

thebull09 wrote: »

But you have paid for it in €'s.... 6 extra now a month in my case. Plus if you do a speed test you will see little too no difference in your speed from when it was 10 mb.

I could stream movies, you tube, xbox live with 4 green bars 2 years ago the same i do now but im paying more for it now next months & i never asked to pay extra or get extra download which i dont get anyway!

lucky they are still cheaper than rest of the pathetic irish providers.

TM wrote: »
    Are people sure that they are getting this upgrade for free? I know somebody who just got upgraded from 10Mbps to 20Mbps and included in the letter was a note that the subscription fee would be €25 p.m. from September - and increase of €2p.m. on what they were paying up to now.

I think its called pulling the wool over your eyes! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

But you have paid for it in €'s.... 6 extra now a month in my case. Plus if you do a speed test you will see little too no difference in your speed from when it was 10 mb.

I could stream movies, you tube, xbox live with 4 green bars 2 years ago the same i do now but im paying more for it now next months & i never asked to pay extra or get extra download which i dont get anyway!

As I have mentioned before on here speedtests sites are hugely unreliable if you want to see how fast your broadband really is download something from HEAnet like Ubuntu and that will show you how fast your speed really is they are the only place in Ireland that can really upload data as fast as you can download it.

if you don't like it then downgrade to a lower package.

either that or leave them altogether and go with someone else, changes to the service give you a free get out clause if you don't agree to the new terms.

whatever you do, for the love of god just stop going on about it and hijacking every single UPC thread in the forum with the same thing because it's getting really tedious.

I think its called pulling the wool over your eyes! ;)
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned here or elsewhere but just a heads up to anybody upgrading (or downgrading?) with UPC - CHECK YOUR BILL! I recently upgraded from 30Mbps to 50Mbps as part of a TV/phone/broadband package. The original cost was c. €72 p.m. (excluding call charges) and was supposed to increase to c. €75 p.m. with the broadband upgrade. Instead my first bill after the upgrade was €130! I queried this with them and they initially told me that it was correct and tried to explain it to me. Their explanation did not make sense to me so I persisted. After they eventually reviewed the bill they confirmed that it was wrong - I had not been refunded a credit in respect of 30Mbps broadband paid in advance but not used, I had then also been charged full whack for the new 50Mbps service (i.e. I was being charged on the double for broadband) and I had also been charged for installation even though I had done a self install of the new Thomson router. So I was due a credit of c. €58 (€38 "unused" 30Mbps broadband + €20 installation fee) for which brought the overall costs back to more or less what I expected. Mistakes can happen but I'm surprised at this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

So if the lowest package is now 20Mb, what does that do to the other packages?

Are they going 30Mb, 50Mb, 100Mb and are there any price changes for the 50 Mb and 100Mb?

I upgraded from 30Mbps to 50Mbps for an extra €3 p.m. - and the start of a new 12 month contract if you are referring to the incremental cost of upgrading? Or maybe you're talking about general price increases even when no upgrade (on the part of the customer or UPC unilaterally) is performed?

Basically I got upgraded from the 12Mb to the 20Mb and I'm wondering will UPC announce new pricing on other packages....

I'm considering upping to the 50Mb or 100Mb mainly for the upload speed but €20 a month is too much to go from 5Mb up to 7Mb up.

Sorry - not sure. If the website doesn't clarify then maybe just give them a shout to ask them?

The 100Mbps package certainly seems to be their premium product with the subscription fee reflecting that! ;) I know that my upgrade from 30Mbps to 50Mbps cost an additional €3 p.m. but to go to 100Mbps would have cost something like an additional €23 or more p.m.

From what I've read on other threads, the 100Mb package is dropping to €50pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Got a text today telling me I have been upgraded from 12MB to 20MB

Nice

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

We had a letter a few weeks back saying that our 12mb was going up to 20mb on the 22nd of this month.

Had a text from UPC on Tuesday (23rd) to say that all I had to do was reset the modem and I would be upgraded. Did that, still getting speeds of 12mb.

Not really too put out as it was a free upgrade. But still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Anyone know if the fiber starter broadband speed is increasing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well I was on 30MB down and 3MB upload with upc and now I see that my download has been upped a fare bit and just over 6MB upload free. I can't get a good rating online with my download speed though but will try later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just got upgraded to 25Mb today. Only getting about 14Mb at most though. I think I'll be downgrading.

Just got upgraded to 25Mb today. Only getting about 14Mb at most though. I think I'll be downgrading.

Lol....exactly what i said would happen on here but i got got abuse for saying it.

Its just a ploy to up the bill by €2/3 across the board. A lot of new €mula€ for UPC.

As ive said before my internet speed 3.5 years ago of 10mb line is the same today as my supposed increase's over the last 3 years to 25mg.

One thing you can garenttee though is i'm paying more for something i never asked for & im still getting the same service i got nearly 4 years ago.

Lol....exactly what i said would happen on here but i got got abuse for saying it.

Its just a ploy to up the bill by €2/3 across the board. A lot of new €mula€ for UPC.

As ive said before my internet speed 3.5 years ago of 10mb line is the same today as my supposed increase's over the last 3 years to 25mg.

One thing you can garenttee though is i'm paying more for something i never asked for & im still getting the same service i got nearly 4 years ago.

Im staying with upc cause there is no one else cheaper or better but i wish they would just tell you they are upping your bill & not give us all this increase in mg i never asked for rubbish.

or you could talk to them and tell them you aren't getting the advertised speeds and let them fix it, assuming you want your internet faster, rather than cheaper?
    Im staying with upc cause there is no one else cheaper or better but i wish they would just tell you they are upping your bill & not give us all this increase in mg i never asked for rubbish.
    you keep giving out about it on here, but have you actually talked to UPC about it at all?

all you have to do if you don't want faster internet for a couple of euro's extra is call and ask to be downgraded to 12mbps for €25pm, but you'd much rather whine and moan in every single upc thread going about how hard done by you are having to fork out a couple of euro extra month.

if you spent nearly as much time and effort into going about sorting out your problems with the people who actually CAN fix them for you as you do giving out about them to the people who CAN'T, you wouldn't have any at all.

oh, and btw, 3 years ago i was paying more for 20mbps broadband with upc than i am now for 100mbps and yes, it IS actually 5 times faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

i recently notice that my internet connection had got a bit slower and just happened to looking at my bill as well. It seems that i have been automatically upgraded to 20mb like everyone . Fine i don't really mind but since the upgrade the internet speed has been all over the place. i did a speed test and it seems that my ping is now over 300ms. how did it get so high it used to be between 50-70ms. i have posted the speed test below. i live in north dublin. any help would be great

1454841863.png

1454850396.png

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Hi guys, How much is the 20Mbit connection? Is it E25 as it is for the 12Mbit connection or is it more? Just asking as I am on the 25Mbit connection myself but if the 12 (now 20Mbit) connection costs E10 less/month I would just downgrade. The 5Mbit more dl speed is def. not worth extra 10Euro/month to me. I also know that upload might be staying at 1.2Mbit (not sure if that also changed for everyone) compared to the 2.5Mbit but I rarely upload big files so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I think I would need at least 30-40Mbit upgrade to make it worth paying 10Euros more than a 20Mbit connection. Def. not worth for 5Mbit more.

Advertisement