Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got the wrong credit for my phone

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

I'm just after coming back from the shop where I got 20 euro credit for 085 instead of 087. What can I do to get my money back?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Whose fault was it? If its yours, you're out of luck. Even if it was the shops fault, youre probably still out of luck as you are should check the credit at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

My fault I only recently changed to vodafone. Could I ring either of the phone companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Your fault so you are not really entitled to anything but it depends on the shop. I used to work in Xtra-Vision and this happened a few times. So I would ring the network to make sure the credit had not been used and then exchange it for the right network credit. Whether the shop person is willing to do that for you is another matter.

Or if any of your friends are Meteor just offer to sell it to them and use the money to buy the right credit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, I'm afraid your not entitled to anything in this instance as its your fault.
    Your best bet is find somebody such as a friend to sell the credit to.

On a related note, this drives me crazy,
    I wish people would stop referring mobile companys by number prefix as its very foolish

This is not just the OP this is also shops.

You go into a shop and ask,
    You: can I get 10e top-up for Meteor
    Shop: 10e top-up for 085 is it?

No, no its not 085, its Meteor because 085 could be any company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hefferboi wrote: »
    Could I ring either of the phone companies?

Since you bought the credit with Meteor, they are the only ones you can contact. They won't do anything though, as they have a policy of not refunding credit, unless the mistake is theirs. They are under no obligation to refund your money anyway.

Try and sell it to someone that is with Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm guessing that you mistakenly asked for Meteor, when you meant to get Vodafone. If that is indeed the case, then the fault is yours and there is no legal comeback.

You can go back to the shop and explain that you made a genuine error and see if they would take the credit back. They are unlikely to do this though as they have no way of knowing if the code has already been used.

Your best bet is to sell the credit to someone else on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

All you can really do is sell/give it to a friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Have a quiet chat with the shop manager and offer to leave it with him. He may oblige you. Do not demand anything, he can tell you no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tvnutz wrote: »
    Your fault so you are not really entitled to anything but it depends on the shop. I used to work in Xtra-Vision and this happened a few times. So I would ring the network to make sure the credit had not been used and then exchange it for the right network credit. Whether the shop person is willing to do that for you is another matter.

Or if any of your friends are Meteor just offer to sell it to them and use the money to buy the right credit.

Also used to deal with these situations for XV.

Gotta be careful though - even if the operator says it has not been used, the person could easily have written the number down for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, there seems to a time lag between the networks saying it wasnt used and it being used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

We buy €20 Meteor around the 12th monthly - so if you are stuck with this credit and it is genuine , we can come to an agreement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sell it to a friend, you're bound to know someone with Meteor prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

noodler wrote: »
    Also used to deal with these situations for XV.

Gotta be careful though - even if the operator says it has not been used, the person could easily have written the number down for future use.
    Taking pictures of the number on your picture phone was the scam we got constantly. That's why no means no on phone exchanges, been fooled enough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I went back shortly after. Was ****ting it going in but I went to school with the girl and she said no problem and exchanged it! No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Cabaal wrote: »

You go into a shop and ask,
    You: can I get 10e top-up for Meteor
    Shop: 10e top-up for 085 is it?

No, no its not 085, its Meteor because 085 could be any company

I work in a shop and I get the opposite ALL the time! Drives me crazy!!
    For example if they ask for €10 087, I'll say "€10 vodafone is it?" just to be sure, a lot of people have then said "oh no sorry its O2" and I therefore avoid any mistakes, but older people look at me like I've two heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

I work in a shop and I get the opposite ALL the time! Drives me crazy!!
    For example if they ask for €10 087, I'll say "€10 vodafone is it?" just to be sure, a lot of people have then said "oh no sorry its O2" and I therefore avoid any mistakes, but older people look at me like I've two heads!
    Do the EXACT same thing myself in work. Some people think I'm stupid for asking, but it's better to ask than cause all the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Get the phone unlocked and use it up yourself. :)

Most service providers these days provide free sims

Its often very handy to have another number.

Advertisement