Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hummingbird Moths all over our allotment

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Thers lots of these facinating and rare creatures flying around our allotment yesterday and today.

Amazing to look at.:eek::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

a sign of good weather, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What part of the country are you in? I have only ever seen one of them, they are totally fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I just googled these as tbh I'd never heard of them. They are amazing looking, what are you growing that you think they are most attracted to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looksee wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in? I have only ever seen one of them, they are totally fascinating.

north dublin.:)

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I just googled these as tbh I'd never heard of them. They are amazing looking, what are you growing that you think they are most attracted to?

These,they seem to come back to these each evening and around the same time,around 5 pm.

Mad or what??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thats a lovely allium, but I don't see a moth on it?

looksee wrote: »
    Thats a lovely allium, but I don't see a moth on it?

I know,i posted the pic to show the type of flowers they are attracted too.

Thats what i was asked,afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Seems they like purple ( and pink )!

hummingbird-moths-7.jpg

white-lined_sphinx_moth_link2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

^^^^^^^
    Neither of these are Hummingbird Hawk-moths.
    The upper one doesn't occur in Ireland and the lower one is a rare immigrant.

Hummingbird-Hawk-moths are also immigrants, usually from southern Europe. The occasional one had been reported hibernating from south coast region. They are seen in Ireland every year and there was a reasonable influx 2 weeks ago with reports countrywide, but mainly from southern and eastern coastal regions.
    Red Valerian seems to be the no. 1 attractant but can be seen at a wide range of flowers including Buddleja.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

what do they look like then? out of curiosity?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

what do they look like then? out of curiosity?!
    See here

For a Hawk-moth they're quite small, but they are unmistakable when flitting around a garden during the day. And they are very often mistaken as being a Humming Bird

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

heres a pic i got a few years ago in my back garden,i have some more but there on the pc somwhere and i cant find them at the minute,click on pic to enlarge a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I had 3 of them in North Cork 10 days ago, my partner thought I was insane when I was telling her there was a tiny humming bird flying around our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

they should be back every day at the same time,their must be some good grazing for them there

Advertisement