Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Chrome OS

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm considering installing Chrome OS on my netbook for various reasons. Firstly, just for everyday surfing the web and emailing, I think that Chrome OS is a great option and more secure. Secondly It will give my netbook a bit more life in such situations and thirdly I think Chrome OS is cool and I would like to try it.

Has anybody tried to install Chrome OS along side any other OS ?

After a bit of research I'm not sure what will be the best to take. On the official Chrome OS website there is the possibility to download the ISO or USB version but there isn't any clear way to double boot, as I think Chrome OS handles partitions differently than Ubuntu.

I also found this Chrome OS build by Hexxeh which has been recommended on other forums and it has a comprehensive follow up on how to install ChromeOS along side Ubuntu but Hexxeh's builds are based on the USB versions of Chrome not the ISO.

I'm not sure if installing a USB build will cause me any troubles on the long run. I'm use to make regular installations with Ubuntu but I know that ChormeOS is different than any other distro I've tried so far.

Thought ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I'm guessing that if no body has replied to this thread is because no one has a clue about this and I'm going through uncharted waters... :confused:

I'll continue investigating and I will post my findings here later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

It's hardly an os. It's more like a browser lol

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I have to say that after trying both Chrome OS (Suse) and hexxeh build, I'm very disappointed with my findings.

Suse's spin off of Chome OS it felt like a half ass distro with just a browser and a few more applications, with the browser just been a window just like in any other distro.

Hexxeh build was actually really nice, you get a more of a feel of what Chrome OS is suppose to be more like. just a maximized Chrome window with everything else cramped in it. This could have been a winner but due to the limited hardware support of Chrome OS at this stage it resulted with a very slow experience.

It felt more like that if you want a fast, secure distro for browsing don't use Chrome OS use something more like Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux, Slax or any other small linux distro out there. I'm sure they will do a better job than Chrome OS at this stage

Advertisement