Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Probability of This Not Happening

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Ok so chances are that this is not going to happen but I'm going to start of with the very best of intentions and hopefully you can all spur me on to keep up.

Basic aim is to read hopefully a book a week. I've gone through quite a few books in the last few years but obviously not as many as I would have liked to get through.

I'm finished the LC now so all I have is time on my hands, hurrraaayyy..

I'm going to finish the Life of Pi this week then go onto what I'm really hoping to get my teeth into, The Hobbit and The LOTR Series. Then perhaps the entire Harry Potter series as I feel I have deprived myself of a possible childhood by not reading these like everyone else has done!

Here's to hoping I follow through!

Any suggestions for books are appreciated. I'd love if you would all aid me in this :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Finished Life of Pi a couple of days ago and I thought it was great. It was a fun read it just took awhile because every time I tried to get into it I would get distracted easily.

Started the Hobbit and I' about a third of the way through now and I'm really enjoying it, it's such a great read so far and I'm even finding it hard to pull myself away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Well done! I actually read 3 of the HP books when I finally finished studying (not that long ago!).

You might also enjoy the Shardlake books by C.J. Sansom.

Where to start - you have a whole lifetime of happy reading ahead of you!

Some of the old classics are worth reading too:

Ernest Hemmingway - For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Jack Kerouac - On The Road
    J.D. Salinger - Catcher in the Rye & For Esme With Love & Squalor
    Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
    George Orwell - Burmese Days

I know not everyone likes this one, but I enjoyed it:
    The Passage - Justin Cronin

The Stand - Stephen King - I used to love all the early Stephen King books.

Anything by Dave Eggers - but try A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

I try to avoid the misery lit books as they just upset me. However another reader posted me this one and it was very moving:

Glass Castle by Jeannette Waters

I presume people have told you about the George R.R. Martin books.

There is another good thread on here about the BBC top 100 books. A few years ago I found a lot of good books this way.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving (try the other John Irving book too)
    Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks (his other books are good too).

Wally Lamb has some good books -
    She's Come undone
    The Hour I first Believed
    I Know this much is True

There are some great non-fiction books out there. I thought Chris Evans first autobiography was good - It's Not what You Think.

It's really just a matter of trying out what you like. I haunted the library when I was younger, and that's probably how I remember reading a lot of Stephen King/Dean Koontz books. I also enjoyed L.P. Hartley - The Go Between. I read nearly everything by D.H. Lawrence, and Thomas Hardy.

Try Agatha Christie too.

I only recently read some of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Childs. I actually enjoyed them, a bit of escapism.

I'm into the Simon Schama history books at the moment, particularly anything about American history.

In a serious mode, anything at all by Anythony Beeveor is good.

Reading Slaughterhouse 5 has piqued my interestest in Dresden (WW2), so I've ordered the 2 books Dresden & The Berlin Wall by Frederick Taylor.

Don't just take my recommendations, you'll need to develop your own taste. Sometimes people recommend things to you that you don't like. That's why browsing the library/book shop is so good. Anything I'm intersted in, I often find the books are in the libray anyway. I've found loads of books that way. The online reservation service is great (I'm not a librarian, I just love libraries!)

Anyway, enjoy your summer's reading!

Advertisement