Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sean hennessy warehouse sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

NB; google these guys.....bad news!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Up2NoGood wrote: »

Based on a few stories I've heard I'd nearly need to agree.

Also, they are often advertising seemingly fantastic prices in a local paper here but when you go into the shop for the item its coveniently always sold out of.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What's wrong with them? I've used them in Shannon and found them grand. Never had a problem though, so can't really comment on after sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Based on a few stories I've heard I'd nearly need to agree.

Also, they are often advertising seemingly fantastic prices in a local paper here but when you go into the shop for the item its coveniently always sold out of.

Never heard a bad word about them (Shannon or Rathkeale). (Can you post a link - didn't find anything bad about them - only a positive mention about them here on boards before!?)

Dunno about being sold out - but the quantities are printed there on the ad, so if you want something, be there before door-opening at 10am I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Ive bought 5 appliances/electrical goods from them in Shannon, never had a problem and always find the staff friendly and helpful and thats why I keep going back to them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Never heard a bad word about them (Shannon or Rathkeale). (Can you post a link - didn't find anything bad about them - only a positive mention about them here on boards before!?)

Didn't say I read anything bad about them online Doodlebug. I believe it was Up2NoGood that mentioned about googling them. It was through talking to friends and work colleagues down through the years that I heard a few bad stories about them, not that I'd be talking about the establishment too much either. I'd generally keep open minded about these things and wouldn't put too much pass on one story but when you hear a few stories from different sources that generally correlate with one another....well...

From a legal point of view I won't substantiate on the stories as I'm sure they could be construed as slander and I'd imagine doing so would be in breach of boards rules. No personal gripe with Sean Hennessy myself apart from the fact that I was a wee bit annoyed the few times I went in to pick up the bargain they advertised in th paper and it was sold out....thats not the end of the world either though

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Dunno about being sold out - but the quantities are printed there on the ad, so if you want something, be there before door-opening at 10am I guess!

Fair point, but I suppose too the litmus test of a good value provider is one who consistently beats their competitors prices on a continued ongoing basis rather than throwing a few bargains at the door from time to time and hyping it up to the nth degree to get the punters in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

PS3 fo €149? Good value even it's the fat model.

Wonder what that ACER is like? Or is it a Netbook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Hi johndaman66. Sorry, I did actually mean to quote Up2NoGood as I just did a quick search and didn't come across anything and would be interested to see a link to get more info.

I agree with you about what makes a good value provider alright although I suppose by its nature, a bargain alert is just that and often doesn't take into account the retailers general trustworthiness.

Anyway, it's useful to know that it's not all good news out there about them. I personally haven't had a bad experience in the few dealings I've had over the years, but the more reports that are put online, the better equipped the punter is to make a judgement on the type of outfit they are dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have being buying tv's and the like of Sean hennessy in rathkeale since 1993 "when I got married" and I always got good value off them and I have to say I have never heard a bad story about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Up2NoGood wrote: »

Please provide evidence of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Bought quite a bit of stuff of them, from the shop in Shannon over the years, and they've been great. Their aftersales service alone would make me check them out first before considering a large UK multiple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The ware house sale is a customer puller. If I see something I like eg. washing machine for €169, I go down there with that much cash as it is cash only sale. When I get there the washing machine will be always sold out. Then most people will spend money on something else rather than go home with nothing. Nice trick but it doesn't fool everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't know what the issue is?
    Also- if you check the flyer out- the prices aren't the crowd drawers that you'd imagine- they're not bad value, but they're far from startlingly good value either. It looks like a genuine stock clearance- most of the advertised products are old models that have been replaced with newer specs- the laptop for example, I wouldn't touch even at half its advertised price, its woefully underpowered.......

If you need a specific thing- and they happen to have it on sale- you'll save a few quid- but its not worth the petrol turning up expecting to bag a bargain in my opinion.........

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The ware house sale is a customer puller. If I see something I like eg. washing machine for €169, I go down there with that much cash as it is cash only sale. When I get there the washing machine will be always sold out. Then most people will spend money on something else rather than go home with nothing. Nice trick but it doesn't fool everyone.

same trick with flor griffin in Cork. These fake sales are common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jhud

I as a Shannon customer have had very good experience from them. Have bought a 3 tvs and a washing machine off them.

One of the tvs had a problem so rang them they told me bring back in and they would send it off for repair it would be about 3 days.

I did so and after 3 days got my tv back and running again.

Also find them good on price and they are willing to match or even beat another price. like they did for me as long and the items are not on sale in there store. Also if you are buying off them again and again they give some discounts too.

Very good and nice to deal with and i always shop around and they seem to beat everyone. They didnt have the tv i wanted but i gave them the details and they got one in for me cheaper then anyone else with free delivery to crusheen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I have purchased a couple of TV's, and a DVD recorder from Sean Hennessey's Shannon store. I never had any issues with the products that I purchased. I always found the staff very good to deal with. No complaints here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

FYI. I purchased all my appliances for our new house of there Mallow store and found them very good. Actually the American style fridge gave bother after 3 years and I rang them on the off chance they might be able to recommend some one to fix it. They fixed it FOC.

Definitley recomend them. The second poster probably works for the opposition..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

nightster1 wrote: »
    same trick with flor griffin in Cork. These fake sales are common
    I went to flor griffin in Ballincollig on a monday morning after a weekend sale to buy a chest freezer for €99. There wasn't a sinner to be seen around the place. I went in the yoke behind the counter showed me the freezer he said there it is. Seeing that he wasn't going to tell me anything about it I asked him what capacity it was he said he didn't know :confused: I decided to take it but said that I would have to go to my car for the cheque book. I came back with the cheque book.
    Clerk: We don't take cheques.
    Me: But!!!
    Me: But I'll leave the freezer until it clears.
    Me: I'll comes back this evening with the cash. What time do ye close.
    Clerk: 5pm but it could be sold by then.
    Me: No reply, just walked out the door never to set foot in the place again.
    Nothing I hate more than Robotic clerks :rolleyes:

If you pay cash and don't get a receipt you don't have a guarantee with it, which doesn't make it a bargain after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

maiden wrote: »
    Ive bought 5 appliances/electrical goods from them in Shannon, never had a problem and always find the staff friendly and helpful and thats why I keep going back to them!!

I utterly agree..First class service :)

If you pay cash and don't get a receipt you don't have a guarantee with it, which doesn't make it a bargain after all.

What's stopping you from getting a receipt?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    What's stopping you from getting a receipt?
    I said if before the sentence ;) A few of these sales i went to want cash and don't give receipts.

I said if before the sentence ;) A few of these sales i went to want cash and don't give receipts.

So if you did get a receipt, then it would be a bargain? To be honest that doesn't make a lot of sense.

So if you did get a receipt, then it would be a bargain? To be honest that doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Just read what I wrote if you don't get a receipt you have no guarantee and no comeback if you do get a receipt you do have a guarantee even after getting the item for a bargain price. Did I actually have to explain that for him :confused:

Just read what I wrote if you don't get a receipt you have no guarantee and no comeback if you do get a receipt you do have a guarantee even after getting the item for a bargain price. Did I actually have to explain that for him :confused:

This is a thread for bargains (now expired) in a particular store. You were saying that if you didn't have a receipt, and if there was a fault with the product, you'd have no comeback, and hence not a bargain.

It's up to the retailer to provide a receipt, and a customer to ask for one if they don't receive it.

If you don't get a receipt, it doesn't make it "not a bargain". It just means the customer should have asked for it if the retailer didn't provide it. You're making the store sound like Del Boy selling Chinese vcr's from the back of a van.

This is a thread for bargains (now expired) in a particular store. You were saying that if you didn't have a receipt, and if there was a fault with the product, you'd have no comeback, and hence not a bargain.

It's up to the retailer to provide a receipt, and a customer to ask for one if they don't receive it.

If you don't get a receipt, it doesn't make it "not a bargain". It just means the customer should have asked for it if the retailer didn't provide it. You're making the store sound like Del Boy selling Chinese vcr's from the back of a van.
    You really want to get the last word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You really want to get the last word.

I do,

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement