Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross posting in other forums ?

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

The following comment was made by a Mod
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    And its not a peculiar comment.Cross posting on other forums complaining about boards is against the rules.

I politely asked for a link to this rule but got threatened with a months ban & no link.

Could someone please guide me to the rule that covers this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You wll know its not a sitewide rule but one the forum members agreed on after it happened last time.

If Im not mistaken you were one of those that agreed.

You werent threatened with a ban because of that but because you were continually questioning mod decision.

Dont misquote me Discodog.
    Now drop it DD.Because I will issue a ban if you keep questioning mod decisions.
    Consider this a final warning...If you question a mod decision one more time in this forum I will ban you for a month and we`ll deal with it in the proper channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You wll know its not a sitewide rule but one the forum members agreed on after it happened last time.
    If Im not mistaken you were one of those that agreed.
    You werent threatened with a ban because of that but because you were continually questioning mod decision.
    Dont misquote me Discodog.

I was asking for information & not questioning a decision. Not only can't I recall any such forum rule but it would be impossible to implement. If I were aware of it I would not be asking here. And I have no idea what such a rule means so can you clarify it ?

Can I suggest that if a new rule is to be implemented that is unique to one forum & not to Boards as a whole that it is added to the charter. You cannot complain about people breaking rules if the rules aren't written anywhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

@Discodog - I think you may have understood the remark to mean that cross-posting on any other internet forum is against boards' rules. This is clearly not a rule, as it would be impossible to enforce.

Cross-posting on other boards.ie forums complaining about boards, or a forum, or a moderator IS a rule, but it is not spelled out anywhere on the site. It is a rule as a side-effect of other rules, namely the Dispute Resolution Process, the Help Desk, the Feedback forum and the ability to discuss matters in private with a forum moderator who you may disagree with.

The result of the above would mean that you can't start a thread in (for example) After Hours, The Thunderdome, Philosophy, etc. about any grievance you have regarding boards.ie, its moderators, their decisions and so on, as there are set procedures that are in place you must follow. All boards.ie forums will delete/close threads that are started because you disagree with how another boards.ie forum is moderated - and most would direct you to Feedback to make your voice heard.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why there is no need for every single rule to be written. Once posters become familiar with the site, they can very quickly deduce what is, and what is not the correct way to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed reply. Yes the wording of Hellrazer's post is a touch ambiguous in that he said:

"Cross posting on other forums complaining about boards is against the rules."

The following post suggested that he meant on other sites:
    GinaH wrote: »
    Well a woman called Aisling O Donoghue has just cross posted this topic on facebook

Again thank you for clearing this up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Glad I could help.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement