Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a bit of a strange one......

Options
  • 16-07-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've just found out I'm pregnant -yay! Me & OH are just thrilled (if apprehensive). But I'm not really sure what to do now. Do I need to go to the doctor right away? And if I do what will he do,will he have to do blood tests to check for things, will he schedule my first scan? When is the first scan normally? We are broke so will be going public -does that mean you don't get as many scans? :(

See here's the thing - my brother works in the lab of the hospital testing blood. It's always been very handy coz every time any family member gets bloods done for whatever reason, we can always find out the results first from him instead of having to wait weeks for them to get back to the doc! (He's probably not supposed to do that but anyway.....!)
    But I don't want anyone to know I'm pregnant until I'm past the 12 week mark and preferably not until after the first scan is done (is that at 12 weeks or do I have that wrong?)

So what do I do?? I don't want to wait too long to visit the doc coz I want to get things moving and also for peace of mind that everything is ok. But I don't want my bro to find out either. Will the doc definitely have to do blood tests, can I request that he not until after 12 weeks? Or would that be dangerous?

Any advice,suggestions and/or reports of what will happen next and from here on in welcome coz I have no clue of the procedure or timeline etc.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Congratulations :)
    Go to the doctor straight away to confirm the pregnancy and fill in all the forms needed, will probably take your blood pressure and weight then too and tell you to start folic acid if you haven't already. I don't think bloods are done before 12 weeks so don't worry about that.
    Dates for scans seem to vary from hospital to hospital and your own pregnancy. Don't worry about how many scans you will get I did this at the start of my pregnancy and after researching a lot I found out its totally unnecessary. A scan between 20-22 weeks is enough.
    But do go to the doctor asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

+1 to everything Hobbitfeet said

Go to your doc straight away. It'll get the ball rolling & make sure you're on the antenatal system, but chances are little will be done in the way of bloods etc for awhile (assuming you're very early on in your preg). As hobbitfeet said, so much depends on your specific hospital & medical team, but in no case should your brother find out - medical confidentiality does exist for a reason.

If nothing else, talk to your GP to find out exactly what you can expect in your specific care, b/c from all I've learned nothing seems definitive as far as timing of scans, etc go.

Congrats btw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭novemberskye

congrats firstly xx i am kind of in the same boat as you i have been looking for jobs and attending interviews. But having missed my period and feeling tired the last week or so i took a pregnancy test earlier and it was positive. I really don't know how to feel or how i will tell my boyfriend of 4 years. i have just finished up in college and have been looking for work but now i don't know if i could accept a job and then tell them afterwards i am pregnant. Don't even know how to tell my boyfriend as he thinks i was on the pill and has made it clear he doesnt want kids yet. :-/ so i am in bit of dilemma and fairly scared to tell the truth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Get the pregnancy confirmed by your doc.
    Ring the hospital and book it asap.
    I booked the hospital before I went to the gp last time:)
    If you are not going public then you need to pick your consultant etc too.

Advertisement