Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you observe "use by" dates all the time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Rule in my house is if it smells and looks ok, and has nothing green growing on it then eat away! Have yet to be poisoned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I always observe the best before and use by dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find fresh milk lasts a good few days after the use by thing, my fridge is cooooold.
    Are you confusing the "best before" and "use by" dates?

If kept correctly, "best before" is just that, but it depends on the product, and where you got it from. If you got the milk from a cold fridge, your cold fridge should allow it to be used a day or two out of date, but if you got it from a not so cold fridge, I'd go by smell.

=-=

Have frozen milk. It's handy when you have no milk in the fridge, and you need breakfast in the morning.

=-=

Unless frozen, I throw bread out on the "best before" date, as it goes mouldy a day or two later.

=-=

Out of date Yops are tasty, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

watna wrote: »
    I used eggs that were ten days out of date the other day - I just smelled them first and they were fine. I had a good long sniff though, I think ten days is pushing it so I wanted to be extra sure!
    I have eaten eggs 2 months past the BB date, and they were not in the fridge. Eggs never used to have dates when I was young so I just treat them the exact same, crack into a bowl and smell.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Are you confusing the "best before" and "use by" dates?
    Looking at premier milk in my fridge it has a use by, I thought most milk had use by and not BB.

I actually prefer toast made from frozen bread, I think it might stay more moist from the frost. If you have stale bread you can stick it in a blender and freeze it for breadcrumbs.

Advertisement