Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distorted AVCHD video

Options
  • 16-07-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've got a Canon HF r16 camera. But any footage (AVCHD clips) I take off it are very poor quality. It seems fine on playback on the camera itself but when I import it using the Canon utility it is crap quality and has a noticeable 'interlace' type effect around movement (see attached).

Any advice on what's wrong here?

I've started trying to edit it but that effect endures (whether the clip is being played in the Canon software, in VLC or Premiere Elements).

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Any suggestions? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i'm a beginner myself but have dealt with AVCHD files including Sony .mts dont know if they are the same as Canon ones.

The software that i found had least problems with .mts files was Power Director.
    I actually didnt use it that much but used Adobe Premier Pro instead and for that i had to convert the .mts files to .mov first which retained the full resolution etc. I remember reading about interlace options and these can be turned off/on during import to Power Director.

ended up anyway that they eventually got down scaled to fit on DVD so in some way you might be better off recording in SD rather than HD, I think maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Then can you make it deinterlace?
    reminds me of some similar as you, and as if that have solved with ifunia avchd converter's deinterlace function.
    You may turn to ifunia avchd column to see if have some useful tips for you, or maybe you could contact it support for some help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What's your final destination for the footage? DVD or online?

If it's DVD, then those interlacing lines are fine, they won't show up on a proper TV as it's calibrated differently to a computer moniter.

If it's online distribution, then de-interlace the footage and it should be fine when you export. I'm not familiar with Premier Elements so I can't give you a step by step guide I'm afraid. In vegas, I change the interlace type to progressive and blend the fields, and it's perfect for online showing.

Advertisement