Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, Another Identify that plant quiry

Options
  • 16-07-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

My MIL had some seeds in her bedside locker for a few years and had no idea what they were so I said I'd plant them and see what came out. Below are the pics of the plants that grew, I would appreciate it if anyone could name them so I know where best to plant them and how to look after them.

Plant.JPG

Plant2.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks a lot like convolvulus leaf to me...there is of course a cultivated one as well as the weed - Morning Glory.

It is also rather slightly like a bean leaf, - was it a small seed or a bean type?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

looksee wrote: »
    It looks a lot like convolvulus leaf to me...there is of course a cultivated one as well as the weed - Morning Glory.

It is also rather slightly like a bean leaf, - was it a small seed or a bean type?

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the convolvulus leaf, I googled a pic of the seeds and I found this:

Polygonum_convolvulus_seeds.jpg

The seeds I had weren't as smooth but I'm guessing they probably dried out some from being a bedside locker for years :)

So are these basically weeds, is there any point in planting them in my garden or am I going to spend years trying to get rid of them again??

Since the seeds were saved I'd say its Morning Glory, which will not become invasive as it will die off over the winter, it can be very pretty, give it a chance and see what you get!

I've just googled some pics of morning glory, a v.pretty plant indeed. I think I will plant them into the ground, seems a shame to get them this far only to bin them.
    Just one more question and I leave you in peace :), do they come back year after year or do they die off after one year. I've a small dull fence that could do with some covering, would this plant be any good for that?

No, the cultivated one is an annual, it will not come back next year unless it self-seeds, which it might.

• Advertisement

Thanks v.much for all your help, I'll plant them into the garden tomorrow and see how things go :)

Advertisement