Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Commissioner and Voicemail access

Options
  • 16-07-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭

Officials from the Data Protection Commissioner's Office are to meet mobile phone providers next week to discuss ending remote access to voicemail messages.

It follows the News of the World's phone-hacking scandal in Britain, where journalists stand accused of listening to people's private voicemails using the remote access service.

Data Protection Commissioner Billy Hawkes has asked phone companies to consider removing this facility, which is never used by the vast majority of mobile users.

"We're questioning the need for this facility, because most of us carry our mobile phones with us all the time," he said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/data-commissioner-to-discuss-remote-access-to-voicemails-after-hacking-scandal-513041.html#ixzz1SHWGCXsJ
    Does anyone think this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction?

Granted "remote" access to voicemails is rarely used by the majority of people but I have used it from time to time, as I would think have some.

Why is the commissioner attempting to punish many law abiding citizens because a newspaper broke the law in this regard?
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Personally i wouldn't mind it being gone, as its not something I ever use any more. It cases default access codes being left in place made it easy target for jokers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Davy wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't mind it being gone, as its not something I ever use any more. It cases default access codes being left in place made it easy target for jokers

Surely that would put the onus on the provider to ensure default codes had to be changed when first you access your voicemail (as I believe meteor OR three do at present)

kippy wrote: »
    Surely that would put the onus on the provider to ensure default codes had to be changed when first you access your voicemail (as I believe meteor OR three do at present)

I would prefer if it wasn't activated automatically, you can opt-in to it, if you need it. Then select your own password. Therefore only the people who want it, will have it activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would prefer if it wasn't activated automatically, you can opt-in to it, if you need it. Then select your own password. Therefore only the people who want it, will have it activated.

Indeed, that's also a good solution - a sensible way of securing voicemail without removing the remote side of it.
    The data commissioner obviously hasn't a clue about voicemails either by the looks of it and assumes they are stored on the mobile phone itself (based on his comment).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

He said in one radio interview "why bother having it anyway when we all carry our phones with us all the time".

Kippy is right - knee jerk reaction by someone who hasn't thought of any of the consequences of his new bright idea.

Why would we want remote access?

1. Forgot phone - need to check messages

2. Battery dead - need to check messages

3. Phone lost/stolen - need to change message to say "my phone is lost/stolen please contact me on ....."

But the data commissioner obviously thinks it's more important to protect idiots from themselves instead.

As you can gather, this stuff makes me angry. :mad:

Possibly - but then you would have a lot of people that forgot to activate it (which isin't the same as idiots not protecting voicemail with a password) and they would lose out of the benefits of this feature - again - to protect the idiots. So why not tell the data protection commissioner to mind his own business and warn the idiots to protect their account (if you feel the urge to!)

Anyone who is annoyed by this should voice directly to info@dataprotection.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

make it opt in and make the default code anything other than 0000.

Panic is over
    The Data Protection Commissioner, Billy Hawkes today welcomed the steps taken by eMobile, Meteor, O2, Three and Vodafone to improve the security of customer voicemail. While the voicemail security features of some of the companies was better than others, they have all responded in an exemplary fashion to a request by the Commissioner last week to urgently examine this area to better protect their customers in the wake of the recent revelations in the UK regarding illegal access to voicemail. The initial suggestion of the Commissioner was to make remote access to voicemail an opt-in service but he is now satisfied that the steps taken or to be taken will achieve the same common goal of better protecting customer data.

The Commissioner stated, "I am pleased that the mobile networks have shown real leadership in this area and have now all put in place or have committed to put in place in the coming days additional measures to assist their customers to protect the data on their phones. It is now important that the public follow the advice of their mobile provider and where they have not already done so take steps to either secure their voicemail and phones generally or improve upon the measures they may have already taken. At the end of this process it will no longer be possible to access a person’s voicemail using a default password.”
    Meteor and eMobile
    No default security PIN is applied and every customer is required to choose their own secure PIN when enabling voicemail. In an effort to encourage customers to take proactive steps to secure their voicemail service they have enhanced the information contained on both websites (www.eMobile.ie or www.meteor.ie) with additional details and guidance on how to secure voicemail services. Additionally, an educational SMS will be sent to all voicemail users in the coming days. Customers can strengthen their password today by dialing 171 (both Meteor and eMobile) and follow the instructions.

O2
    O2 has commenced a programme of communications with customers to advise on how they can keep access to their voicemail secure at all times. The communications will include text messages to customers and a pre-recorded advisory when customers dial in to their voicemail service to retrieve messages. O2 has also updated its website with a range of security tips, available at www.o2.ie in the "Can we help you today?" section on the homepage. Customers can change their password today by dialling 173 from their handset and follow the instructions.

Three
    Three is communicating to its customers the importance of securing their voice mail with a unique PIN known only to the customer. The communications will include text messages to customers with advice on setting up a voicemail PIN. There will also be an Online Help & Support update to the section on Voicemail to advise customers on the level of security they should use when setting up their PIN. Customers can change their password today by dialling 171 (in Ireland) or +353 83 333 3171 from abroad from their handset and follow the instructions.

Vodafone
    From tomorrow Vodafone Ireland customers will hear information when they dial 171 on how they can change their voicemail password at any time. Voicemail and password information is also available today on Vodafone.ie. Vodafone will continue to inform its customers in the coming weeks on new enhanced security options available to its customers. Customers can change their password today by dialling 173 from their handset and follow the instructions.

Advertisement