Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put my posts on private?

Options
  • 16-07-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Can I put my posts/thread on private.
    Like, when people click my name and "Find all posts" . - Can I prevent doing that?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's no such thing, unless you post in already private forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Do you mean the anonymous posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Spear wrote: »
    There's no such thing, unless you post in already private forums.
    Is there a reason (in particular) why this option doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

These are public forums, if you post on a forum then generally speaking it is for public consumption.

As a poster, you are responsible for your posts. And, seeing as they can be searched and related back to you, it is important that posters think before they hit the submit button. If we allowed posts to be made "privately" ie: cannot be linke dot an account, then it would be harder to spot spammers and trolls and it would be much harder to see any patterns that may emerge in behaviour (for example, posting within X minutes of another poster always to argue against them etc).

There are some forums on boards.ie , usually those that deal with sensitive and personal topics (such as personal issues) that allow anonymous posting. However, because of this, those forums are more strictly moderated and less leeway is given for off topic posting or trollery.

Also, there are some forums that are "private". posts in these forums do not show up in a search for all posts by a poster (unless the person searching has access to the forum as well - I think, I've never tested that one, it just hasnt come up so far). Private forums usually require access to be granted by a moderator of the forum though and are not, generally, viewable by general users.

Is there a reason (in particular) why we dont have the ability to post without linking to the posters account? I cant think of a particular reason why its not there but then agian, I can think of several reasons against having that as an option. Its not something that has ever really been needed.

If you are concerned about a post you want to make being linked to you (maybe it contains real life information you would prefer not to have connected with your online persona for example) then check and see if the relevant forum allows anonymous posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement