Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying a Bike....

• 16-07-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Its been a life long dream of mine to own a motorbike, the opportunity has arisen for me maybe to buy one.....So where do I start....

Lessons ????
    What type of bike to go for ..........What i want is a sports tourer...opinions please
    Insurance ?????

I would really appreciate some sound advice

Thank you :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Ahhh the memories of the first bike. What a buzz :)
    First off, get your provo license sorted out. Including that poxy new computer test.
    Now, get lessons - a few guys do lessons. Hop on to biker.ie and search there for a list of people doing lessons. Got mine from a lad called rubadub on that site. Not sure if he's the rubadub from on boards though!
    Next up, get the right gear. Do not skimp on your lid/boots etc.
    Now, and only now should you be thinking about a bike!
    Sports Tourers at the <33Kw are a rare thing.
    Debates rage over the meaning of the law (power to weight etc) meaning in some peoples eyes a Deauville is ok on a learner permit (unrestricted).
    If none of the learner machines (naturally making less than the 33Kw) float your boat then you need to restrict, pass your test, wait 2 years, unrestrict.
    When considering bikes for restriction, I understand twins are better suited, more power lower down the rev range so the restriction doesn't banjax the biking experience.

Now you need to get out there and take it handy for 2 months.
    Then when you feel more confident, take it handy for another 2 months.
    Then go get another lesson or two so you don;t build in some bad habits (lifesavers etc).

Apply for your test after a year, takes an age to get a time (well did when I was doing mine).

That's it!

Have fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

wow. you should just completely ignore the post above. Most of the info is out of date or wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jameshayes wrote: »
    wow. you should just completely ignore the post above. Most of the info is out of date or wrong

In fairness, its only the IBT and restriction that he is far off on.

jameshayes wrote: »

Been out of the biking a few years....I guess some stuff has changed then :D
    So what's new then? Might be worth taking the time to correct where I've misguided the chap, not just dismiss my ramblings....

Edit: Holy sh*t. That IBT looks like a pain in the ass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

robodonkey wrote: »
    Been out of the biking a few years....I guess some stuff has changed then :D
    So what's new then? Might be worth taking the time to correct where I've misguided the chap, not just dismiss my ramblings....

Edit: Holy sh*t. That IBT looks like a pain in the ass....

Yeah, In fairness though its not far off the lessons you recommended anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

@ OP, since the introduction of IBT, I always recommend to noobs these days to find a decent school, complete IBT but also get your instructor to incorporate a 'grade 2 rider assessment' (FOC or very close to it).

This way, you're cosher with 'the man', the insurance companies will love you and you're test riding bikes being a bit more discerning. You are in the best position to obtain a bike as close as possible to your first preference as possible (albeit restricted, probably).

Any specific bikes in mind? Describe your age, sex, physicality and budget.

eire_dd wrote: »
    Its been a life long dream of mine to own a motorbike, the opportunity has arisen for me maybe to buy one.....So where do I start....

Lessons ????
    What type of bike to go for ..........What i want is a sports tourer...opinions please
    Insurance ?????

I would really appreciate some sound advice

Thank you :D

Was just browsing a classic car site there, stumbled accross this. If I had the cash I'd be buying it myself!
    Might be right up your street (although some may question the "sports" aspect of the bike :D)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C239328

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

as said above, get your theory test applied for and done out of the way, then do your IBT.. the school bikes should be something like a cb250 and thats a comfortable shape/layout for a bike to get your bearings and you will be able to get a better feeling for the style of bike that suits you something a bit racier, or something a bit more relaxed.

there isn't any need to rush and buy your first bike because there are loads out there waiting to sell.. if you can try get a friend to go look at the bike with you and let them hold the cash so you dont impulse buy also someone who knows the basics of biking would be a bonus there are a few things that are worth checking.

depending on your age and size i would suggest getting a nice restricted 600cc bike there are good models accross all genre's of bike. restriction kits are made for almost every bike so if the bike advertised is good value but no kit just bear in mind it costs usually €250 to restrict a bike (kits can be fitted second hand buy some garages but you're are the mercy of what the garage has in stock, and thats an issue for further down the road), the reason i say get a 600cc is once you pass your test and wait out your 2 years the bike will have a whole new lease of life and should keep your interest longer.

everyone is different in how well they take to bikes just like cars so dont be put off if it's a bit daunting at first.. tackle one thing at a time and at your own pace, some people might disagree but i reckon if you did well on your car test and it all came naturally to you it should be the same for the bike also, if you are/were a nervous driver you might take a bit more time getting comfortable but it will come to you.

and lastly budget for nice gear, Helmet is your life saver.. the rest keeps your skin on so if you can afford to then cover it all and cover it well... some of the cheaper gear offer good protection but it's up to you what style and quality to buy.

best of luck with it all!

Advertisement