Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a smallholding in Co. Cork

Options
  • 16-07-2011 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there.

We are a young family who have been planning to buy a smallholding here in England for the past few years.

Sadly our property market is still holding at ridiculous prices, pricing us out.

I have been spending the past few months looking at buying a small property (2-3 bed cottage and 2-3 acres) in rural Ireland to buy and develop into a (mostly) self sufficient family home.

We are finding a handful of cottages with a couple of acres around Cork, and we are visiting in a week to have a look at some possible areas.

Can anyone give us any pointers? Or answer a couple of questions:

1. We are looking for quiet rural areas. We have been researching Eyeries, Balledehob, Schull, Skibereen, Caheragh or even over towards Macroom or Churchtown. Do any of these areas raise big "red flags"?

2. Broadband. I hope to still be able to work on some freelance projects and need a very basic broadband to communicate. Mobile 3G or 1Mb DSL is more than adequate. Is this unrealistic around rural areas listed above?

For this trip we are going to be staying in Kenmare (I know, it's not ideal for West Cork house hunting) and want to focus on W Cork. Any ideas or suggestions are warmly welcomed!!

Thanks.

Jim

Comments

Advertisement