Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to hear Irish nationalist music

Options
  • 16-07-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi... I posted about this in the nightlife forum, I guess it wasnt the most appropriate forum to post in.

I'm visiting Dublin starting on 7/25 for a week. My grandfather (and his wife) were from Ireland, immigrated to the US when they were young. He was really into Irish nationalist music, and talked about resistance to British rule constantly. When he was in Ireland, it wasn't an independent nation yet!

At any rate, I really don't mean to stoke any political controversies, but he used to listen to Irish nationalist/rebel music all the time, and I'd like to go somewhere to hear that kind of music live. Revisit childhood memories, and so on. Lots of songs I heard in his house, I haven't been able to find elsewhere on the internet.

I'm glad the "troubles" appear to be more or less over, and I really dont mean to start a "political" thread, but I'd love to visit some place where I can hear Irish nationalist music. Any place in Dublin that could be recommended?

Just to address the political question, not that I consider myself very well informed on the topic, but it seems the Belfast Agreement came up with a good solution and path to peace for all sides and I'm all for that. But I would really like to relive some childhood memories and listen to some of the music my grandfather was into, from the source. I have a full itinerary planned for the week and I know Ireland has thankfully moved on from that period of time, but I would like to hear some of this music performed live, and who knows, maybe even hear a few tunes that I used to hear him listen to, performed live at the source.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hi... I posted about this in the nightlife forum, I guess it wasnt the most appropriate forum to post in.

I'm visiting Dublin starting on 7/25 for a week. My grandfather (and his wife) were from Ireland, immigrated to the US when they were young. He was really into Irish nationalist music, and talked about resistance to British rule constantly. When he was in Ireland, it wasn't an independent nation yet!

At any rate, I really don't mean to stoke any political controversies, but he used to listen to Irish nationalist/rebel music all the time, and I'd like to go somewhere to hear that kind of music live. Revisit childhood memories, and so on. Lots of songs I heard in his house, I haven't been able to find elsewhere on the internet.

I'm glad the "troubles" appear to be more or less over, and I really dont mean to start a "political" thread, but I'd love to visit some place where I can hear Irish nationalist music. Any place in Dublin that could be recommended?

Just to address the political question, not that I consider myself very well informed on the topic, but it seems the Belfast Agreement came up with a good solution and path to peace for all sides and I'm all for that. But I would really like to relive some childhood memories and listen to some of the music my grandfather was into, from the source. I have a full itinerary planned for the week and I know Ireland has thankfully moved on from that period of time, but I would like to hear some of this music performed live, and who knows, maybe even hear a few tunes that I used to hear him listen to, performed live at the source.

Thanks for any advice.

This place , special branch will even take photo's of you entering and leaving the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble Street usually has a very lively rebel song session on a Sunday at least.

It's in a gorgeous part of old Dublin, right next to Christchurch Cathedral and a few doors up from where Handel's Messiah had its world premiere on 13 April in 1742. You could stay across the road in Jurys Inn Christchurch and you could hear the cathedral bells at night and wander around the medieval walls of Dublin during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dionysus wrote: »
    Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble Street usually has a very lively rebel song session on a Sunday at least.

It's in a gorgeous part of old Dublin, right next to Christchurch Cathedral and a few doors up from where Handel's Messiah had its world premiere on 13 April in 1742. You could stay across the road in Jurys Inn Christchurch and you could hear the cathedral bells at night and wander around the medieval walls of Dublin during the day.

+1 on this place.

My advice would be to ignore The Players Lounge, there's nothing up that way to interest a visitor to our city.

Here's my advice, in the morning do the Glasnevin graves tour. The grave yard has recently completed its renovations and looks great.

Follow that with a visit to Darkeys, get a seat up front near the band. If your hungry they'll deliver your food from their bistro to your table.. The the band what your interested in, if you can sing you'll be invited up or sit there and listen to the regular's/locals.

Darkeys is also part of the Harding Hotel, I've seen them advertising rooms from €40 recently so might be worth checking that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snorkleberry

Thanks I will check out Darkey Kelley's. The hotel didnt have a schedule posted on the website but I'll email them and ask what music they have planned for the week I'm there.

As far as the player's lounge is concerned... looks interesting but I dont think I want any special branches taking my picture!!

Just been listening to some rebel music on youtube... one must admit, as far as political movements go, Irish republicanism seems pretty much at the top in the musical propaganda category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not many venues playing this stuff nowadays.

You could get some CDs of The Wolfe Tones. Visit the Sinn Fein shop on Parnell Square - I'd say they have a good selection of (old and new) rebel songs.

Walton's music shop nearby on Nth Frederick St would be worth a visit too. They have a branch on the southside also - Sth Gt George's St.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Just been listening to some rebel music on youtube... one must admit, as far as political movements go, Irish republicanism seems pretty much at the top in the musical propaganda category.

Nothing of the sort. As the song says ...

hehe. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just an update, the players' lounge mentioned earlier has a rebel music festival this week from Fri through next Monday with several well known irish rebel music/celtic bands.... a good week to be in dublin to hear this stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just as a heads up, the players longue is a dump full of scum, I only shudder at the type of crowd it would attract at a rebel music festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Just as a heads up, the players longue is a dump full of scum, I only shudder at the type of crowd it would attract at a rebel music festival.

Special branch will be busy taking pic's outside,they better bring a couple of spare memory cards for the camera!! Celtic/Liverpool jerseys and trackie bottoms all over the place!!

Special branch will be busy taking pic's outside,they better bring a couple of spare memory cards for the camera!! Celtic/Liverpool jerseys and trackie bottoms all over the place!!

Are you saying this just in fun, or do you really think they would be there taking pictures?

The bands they have lined up are good, I'm just interested in hearing good music of the genre that my grandfather used to listen to all the time, this looks like a good opportunity.

I wasnt intending to make this thread too political, but Irish nationalist music is an important part of the history of Ireland and it did serve to bring unity and hope to people when both were sorely needed... let's try to give it some respect...
    Sorry to say this as just an American of Irish heritage, I know I don't understand the issues as well as Irish people would, but I do think this music should be respected as a part of Irish history that helped the Irish people get through hard times of oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wasnt intending to make this thread too political, but Irish nationalist music is an important part of the history of Ireland and it did serve to bring unity and hope to people when both were sorely needed... let's try to give it some respect...
    Sorry to say this as just an American of Irish heritage, I know I don't understand the issues as well as Irish people would, but I do think this music should be respected as a part of Irish history that helped the Irish people get through hard times of oppression.

Most of us respect Irish music, and our history but thats not what the guys are getting at.

Personally I'd choose another venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

The lads are half taking the mick, but I would go somewhere other than The Players Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Celtic football club are playing in a friendly tournament this coming weekend. Charlie and the bhoys and Gary Og are probably in town. There could be over ten thousand Celtic fans coming over from Scotland, England and down from the North so I imagine venues will be overflowing and the price of drinks could be put up. Should be a crazy weekend(in a good way). Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Here's a few articles on the pub you'll be going to

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/real-ira-behind-players-shooting-2280478.html

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/stokes-father-faces-threat-charge-15155998.html

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You picked up the vibes but not where they were directed, and why you thought it was directed at our own heritage is beyond me. That's one well known pub for all the wrong reasons, have a read of a few other threads on it, see where it takes you;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056006828
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056279729

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

My impression is that anywhere that plays that sorta music is a tad ropey. Pity, I wouldn't mind going along to hear some of that music live.

My dad was interested in going along to bands like these but being from the north he was always worried the Special Branch would be following him home. :D

Ah that's not entirely true, it is a bit in Dublin where trad is a magnet for scumbags, but not everywhere, and certainly not countrywide.

OP if you feel like a trip out I've just realised I should be recommending the Harbour Bar in bray to you, it's 40min outside of the city by dart, 30 by car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

"Irish nationalist music" = rebel songs presumably which are a somewhat distinct subset of trad, I've never been in a fistfight in the Cobblestone. :)

Oops, true, well, that depends, there's more nationalist music than just the aul rebel belters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Oops, true, well, that depends, there's more nationalist music than just the aul rebel belters.

yes but I give up when the harp plyers beat up the fiddlers for being blow ins and let us not start about the drums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I know a few lads who always go to the players lounge for Celtic games and know people who live across the road from it, its a lot better than it used to be apparently, all speak highly of the guy who runs it, very anti drugs.

You can find worse places, they get some very good rebel bands in too. Its a working class pub, of course some would equate working class with scumbags, but not myself. You know the type of people who think that just because someone is wearing a Celtic tracksuit they are scumbags.

Been meaning to go down there myself, but I cant afford to get a taxi home.

I will have to check out Darkeys too, how much are the pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    You know the type of people who think that just because someone is wearing a Celtic tracksuit they are scumbags.

I think people are more worried with the alleged threats the owner has made against other business owners than what type of clothes his clientele wear.

I think people are more worried with the alleged threats the owner has made against other business owners than what type of clothes his clientele wear.
    Note that word there, alleged.

Its not as if there are no positive pieces out there on him...

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/lsquoirsquom-not-going-to-be-intimidated-by-drug-dealersrsquo-ndash-irish-soccer-acersquos-dad-2363804.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Note that word there, alleged.

Of course I noted the word. I wrote it.

However my point is that more people are worried about that sort of thing and the various things that have happened in and around the pub rather than the pub's customers being working-class.

It's very easy to say everyone is being a snob but when the pub owner hangs childish attention-seeking banners up when the Queen comes to visit then it's hard to take him seriously at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Of course I noted the word. I wrote it.

However my point is that more people are worried about that sort of thing and the various things that have happened in and around the pub rather than the pub's customers being working-class.

It's very easy to say everyone is being a snob but when the pub owner hangs childish attention-seeking banners up when the Queen comes to visit then it's hard to take him seriously at all.
    I think that poster was pretty clever tbh, he got tons of free advertising, all over the radio too.

The mans entitled to his politics, he is a republican after all.

• Advertisement

Yes, he's entitled to the politics all right, I wouldn't judge a man on that, it's the fact he appears to support the non-political aspects of republicanism that puts me off lining his pockets.

And yes I did note the word appears, but as they say there's no smoke without a fire, and there sure as hell has been a lot of smoke.

Advertisement