Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to hear Irish nationalist music

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yes, he's entitled to the politics all right, I wouldn't judge a man on that, it's the fact he appears to support the non-political aspects of republicanism that puts me off lining his pockets.

And yes I did note the word appears, but as they say there's no smoke without a fire, and there sure as hell has been a lot of smoke.
    What sort of rubbish felon setting is that? There is feck all to suggest that he is any way funding any kind of illegal activities, a handful of bullets in a shed out back means nothing, anyone could have put them there, and they could have been there for years.

Are you accusing him anything? Because thats dangerous ground, your "no smoke without fire" certainly suggests so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    What sort of rubbish felon setting is that? There is feck all to suggest that he is any way funding any kind of illegal activities, a handful of bullets in a shed out back means nothing, anyone could have put them there, and they could have been there for years.

Are you accusing him anything? Because thats dangerous ground, your "no smoke without fire" certainly suggests so.

Regardless of his politics, there seems to have been a lot of nonsense in and around that pub, so why send a tourist out there? Especially when there are venues that are a) in the city center and b) do not have such a dodgy reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Why are you getting so defensive? Ooh it's you isn't it?

How were the bullets found again? There was reason to suspect that there was RIRA activity going on, and hence there was a raid on the premises. In much the same manner I have reason to suspect the man is not who he strives to present himself as, it's not enough that I am going to accuse him of anything, despite your assertions I am doing so, but it is enough to warrant my choice in not drinking there.

Regardless of his politics, there seems to have been a lot of nonsense in and around that pub, so why send a tourist out there? Especially when there are venues that are a) in the city center and b) do not have such a dodgy reputation?
    The OP wants to hear rebel music, the Players Lounge is having a rebel music festival with some top rebel bands when he/she is in Ireland.

Super_Cup_facebook.jpg

That sounds really good actually, I would love to see Athenrye.

Thats those lads OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The OP wants to hear rebel music, the Players Lounge is having a rebel music festival with some top rebel bands when he/she is in Ireland.

Yeah I understand that. But I doubt we would be having this conversation if the festival was at Wheelan's.

• Advertisement

Yeah I understand that. But I doubt we would be having this conversation if the festival was at Wheelan's.
    Probably not, but some of the reaction to the Players Lounge is a bit OTT in fairness.

At the end of the day its the OPs choice, but I can't imagine there being a better selection of top rebel bands playing when he is in Dublin than those in the Players Lounge, its a very good lineup. The other places may be handier though.

I forgot about those Celtic games, the place will be buzzing too, I'm gutted I can't get down to Dublin myself now! :(

Just heard that the special guest band from the poster above is "Derek Warfield and the Young Wolfe Tones"

Now that is a very very good line up, I doubt anywhere else could top it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I think that poster was pretty clever tbh, he got tons of free advertising, all over the radio too.

The mans entitled to his politics, he is a republican after all.

So was the banner about his politic views or just about cheap advertising?

I believe yours and my definition of what's clever differ greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Note to OP - Players Lounge will be a fantastic place to be this weekend, fantastic!

I guarantee the crowd there will be friendly and you'll have a ball. I've been going to gigs such as these for years and the craic at them is magic!

The place will be rocking but, although the whole thing is free, I think you still need a ticket cos the crowds there will be massive.

Like any large crowds there's always propensity for a clown to cause trouble but (and you'd never guess it from reading myopic posts on this Board) Celtic fans are renowned worldwide for being friendly, not fighting with other fans and self policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Christ that poster says it all, "DUBLINS NO 1 CETLIC SUPPORTERS PUB"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Go to the players lounge for a couple of hours and see what you think(It's only 15 mins outside town on a bus), you won't be interrogated by the special branch or bombed etc. as some of the hysterical posters would suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Go to the players lounge for a couple of hours and see what you think(It's only 15 mins outside town on a bus), you won't be interrogated by the special branch or bombed etc. as some of the hysterical posters would suggest.

I think you'll find they were taking the p*ss.

Well, the place was raided at 2am, the manager tied up, money stolen, and the place burned down.

That sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I love the way this thread ended. Keep up the good tourist advice lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He had the Irish Brigade down there all weekend and now he has the fire brigade there ;):p

Advertisement