Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor parts bargains

• 16-07-2011 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

As stated in this thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056329240

It might be a good idea for a bargain alerts thread for in here? Not for cars, but for parts, oils, tools etc?

this wouldn't need to be stickied or anything, just stick in whatever bargain that might be seen.

Mods if you feel it isn't useful, delete away :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds good to me.

I think there was one but once it goes off the first page or so of recent posts it gets lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

RoverJames wrote: »
    I think there was one but once it goes off the first page or so of recent posts it gets lost.

That is a fair point, there may be a few too many stickies already, but if the mods thought one more would be worth it, i'm sure this thread would be useful to a lot of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Suzie Sue

BDJW wrote: »
    That is a fair point, there may be a few too many stickies already, but if the mods thought one more would be worth it, i'm sure this thread would be useful to a lot of people

If the mods think it's ok they could sticky it and purge any posts that don't contain links to bargains like this one !

We should all encourage competiveness and those businesses trying to offer genuine good value to us motorists !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sale on in Lidl starting on Thursday on car stuff like axle stands and compressors. Please dont start a whole axle stand arguement now.:)

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Sale on in Lidl starting on Thursday on car stuff like axle stands and compressors. Please dont start a whole axle stand arguement now.:)

May have to take a trip to Lidl and pick up some axle stands for the very occassional bit of use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

May have to take a trip to Lidl and pick up some axle stands for the very occassional bit of use :)

Wouldn't ya need a car to make use of them? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

An axle would do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sale on in Lidl starting on Thursday on car stuff like axle stands and compressors.

Ah, perfect!

Har di har har :p

I'm working on it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Torque wrench for €22. That's not bad surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I dont think a sticky would work nor an ongoing thread (gets full of commentary, questions etc). Instead we could post each bargain as a new thread with a prefix (eg [Motor Parts Bargin] ) ?

Good price on the axle stands. And for €7 that pump could be a handy thing to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good price on the axle stands. And for €7 that pump could be a handy thing to have

Hydraulic jack is well priced too. Looks like I can fix my own exhaust now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Confab wrote: »
    Hydraulic jack is well priced too. Looks like I can fix my own exhaust now.
    Lidl hydraulic jack is useless and over priced ;) I bought 2 of them one bottle jack and a trolley jack. Both of them are on the scrap heap. You could buy a decent 6 ton bottle jack for €27 from any motor factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could you sue LIDL if one of them axle stands failed......and you were left badly hurted

fryup wrote: »
    could you sue LIDL if one of them axle stands failed......and you were left badly hurted

Possibly if it was supporting no more than the SWL specified, was used correctly and the failure was root caused to the product having a defect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

right, i'm off to have an accident;)

Torque wrench for €22. That's not bad surely?

Its not and it includes a few sockets. I actually need those sockets so it will come in very handy..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Its not and it includes a few sockets. I actually need those sockets so it will come in very handy..:)

Definitely heading to Lidl Thurs morning! Picking up torque wrench, work lamp, fire extinguisher and some bulbs for the wife's car which keeps blowing them! Torque wrench is same range (so maybe same actual wrench?) as one selling in B&Q for £30 stg without sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Lidl hydraulic jack is useless and over priced ;) I bought 2 of them one bottle jack and a trolley jack. Both of them are on the scrap heap. You could buy a decent 6 ton bottle jack for €27 from any motor factors.
    I have one of the trolley jacks for a few years now, no problems. It has been regularly abused, ie lifting my tractor and also my dads forklift (6 tonnes) the only problem I have is that the height of the lift is not as good as some more expensive models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That Halfords deal on Castrol is exceptional. Used the Group Scheme voucher too no problem and got 12 litres of 0w30 EDGE for under €88. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

Just bought 5litres 10w40 castrol edge for 10 quid in asda.. Might be in the ones up north too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

ya, I am seriously tempted by this socket set. Link

Yup, supposed to be fantastic kit. Ill be getting it at the weekend. Another €12.50 off too with the Group Scheme remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

42Nm seems a high torque to start at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

pred racer wrote: »
    I have one of the trolley jacks for a few years now, no problems. It has been regularly abused, ie lifting my tractor and also my dads forklift (6 tonnes) the only problem I have is that the height of the lift is not as good as some more expensive models.
    Lifting a forklift with a 2 tonne lidl trolly jack :eek: now that is asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Lifting a forklift with a 2 tonne lidl trolly jack :eek: now that is asking for trouble.

Agree completely, but when the forklift is stuck, and it's all u got.........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just noticed in my local B&Q that they do a 3 for 2 on all car cleaning products and accessories.

Prices on AG products looked similar to motor factors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Is it 2 axle stands for €12?

That could come in handy for near future when jacking the car up to get at break pads with ease.

I did a stupid thing of changing them with just jack holding car up before. I did slide the tyre underneath but doesn't give great height obv. so these would be fairly handy for light work.

Just reminding people that it's Thursday so go get your Lidl bargains ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Indeed it is :D

I just popped around to my Lidl and picked up the axle stands. It's 2 stands in the box for €12 so quite good value. I remember spotting them before in Lidl or ALdi and it was only 1 stand in the box. 1 is enough to work with for what I want but nice to have the 2, makes life easier :D

Was tempted to get the hydraulic jack but the father has one and I couldn't justify buying it for the small use it would be put to when I can borrow his as I have before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

BTW, I've found their bulbs to be good in the past, the 50% extra ones. Got the torque wrench, and some pastries - the Lidl bakeries are damn tasty :D

• Advertisement

I went to Lidl on the Grange Road and picked up the axle stands and pump. Loads of both left there if anybody is looking for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I went to Lidl on the Grange Road and picked up the axle stands and pump. Loads of both left there if anybody is looking for them
    Got them in Wicklow this morning. I have yet to open the box to check the quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Anybody keep an extinguisher in their car?

For €9.99 it sounds like a no brainer? But then maybe its just another bit of weight to haul about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know if there are any lidl power washers still about.. south dublin/wicklow

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any lidl power washers still about.. south dublin/wicklow

There were loads in the one on the Grange road this evening

• Advertisement

Got a microfibre wash mitt and wheel brush in Tescos in Dundalk today, €0.38. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Got a microfibre wash mitt and wheel brush in Tescos in Dundalk today, €0.38. :D

They had that before in my local tesco,must check it out! :D

Asda are doing there own brand oil for very cheap prices. 5W-30 ETC for 10 pounds a gallon...

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=motor+oil&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=252653

Handy for anyone living in the north or near it...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Free microfibre with bottle of Rainex in my local B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

whyulittle wrote: »
    Free microfibre with bottle of Rainex in my local B&Q.

Great stuff, I use that all the time, side and rear windows, great stuff altogether. But its like Marmite, some love it, some hate it :p

Today, I got 5 X 1L Castrol Edge 5w 40 Fully Synthetic for €21.70. I think it was a misprice on Tesco's part to be honest.

HOWEVER, they are doing 2L 10w 40 Magnatec Semi Synthetic for €5.25 IIRC, now thats cheap. Pretty sure this will apply to all stores nationwide. I paid almost a tenner for half this in my local factors.

dmcar02 wrote: »

HOWEVER, they are doing 2L 10w 40 Magnatec Semi Synthetic for €5.25 IIRC, now thats cheap. Pretty sure this will apply to all stores nationwide. I paid almost a tenner for half this in my local factors.

no sign of that here in wilton in cork, 16.75 for two litre of their own brand 10 40 semi syn. a litre of their own brand ready mixed coolant is 4.50.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

On the 18th of august Aldi has set of 6 long reach, 12 inch screwdrivers for 9.99 (Link) and a set of 5 ratchet spanners for €14.99 (link) 8, 10, 13, 14 and 17mm

2. Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

Today I got 10 "Chuck it in a bucket" Simoniz car wash tabs in Tesco for €1, they were marked that price. These are absolutely smashing for giving the car a quick once over.

Also as Voodoomelon said, got the car wash mitt for 31c, and a bottle of triplewax for €3.34, car nice and clean for less than a fiver. I know I know its not as good as the expensive stuff etc but for a once over, its not bad. They were also doing half price on pretty much all Simoniz products.

Also €1 for a small can of WD-40, the type you would just keep in the boot, that way you always know where to find it....

Few other bits and pieces as well, this is in Tesco Dundalk. Said Tesco is split into 2 completely different shops, groceries and hardware.

There is also a new tesco "bargain outlet" which has stock changing every day, like their own 2.5l screenwash for a euro, 2L magnatec 5w 30 (Ford stuff) for 9 euro IIRC, 5 microfibre cloths for a euro, nothing too exciting but certainly worth mentioning.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tescos have a few bits on sale, I seen this in bargain alerts...

Simoniz Rinse-Off Car Wax €2
      Tesco brand tyre cleaning spray 30c

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tesco Coonagh Limerick are selling 600ml Prestone De-icer for 99c.Good time to stock up :)

5. Advertisement
    Advertisement