Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strandhill runway

Options
  • 16-07-2011 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am a newby, was wondering if any walkers, pilots, fishermen or horseriders have any idea what is happening at the end of the runway of strandhill airport. It would appear that another gate is going up to stop access to road. Anybody got any idea what is happening and by whom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chasie

This is a public right of way which has been blocked off by a local The acess stile at the first gate has been made impassible This right of way is used every day to acess the public lands and beach at back of the airport but now it is blocked off OUTRAGOUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

chasie wrote: »
    This is a public right of way which has been blocked off by a local The acess stile at the first gate has been made impassible This right of way is used every day to acess the public lands and beach at back of the airport but now it is blocked off OUTRAGOUS

I went for a run around there and saw that that the gate had been altered. At that stage it was just the electronics (Comms) in the gate that were down but it must have been a work in progress.

Its hardly new owners. I wonder what happenned, the people there used always wave, always friendly. If its a right of way it will have to be contested by the council. Effectively a circuit of the Killaspugbrone peninsula is cut off by this development.

I think years ago the land behind the house (forrested hill now) was sold to the owners instead of bought for the airport.

In view of the abandoned attempts to extend the runway into the sea a few years ago, that decision now looks very shortsighted indeed.

Hope it gets sorted. Wont be changing my running routes any time soon though. That said, If I hear someone shouting "let loose the hounds" i might get worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

T runner wrote: »
    I went for a run around there and saw that that the gate had been altered. At that stage it was just the electronics (Comms) in the gate that were down but it must have been a work in progress.

Its hardly new owners. I wonder what happenned, the people there used always wave, always friendly. If its a right of way it will have to be contested by the council. Effectively a circuit of the Killaspugbrone peninsula is cut off by this development.

I think years ago the land behind the house (forrested hill now) was sold to the owners instead of bought for the airport.

In view of the abandoned attempts to extend the runway into the sea a few years ago, that decision now looks very shortsighted indeed.

Hope it gets sorted. Wont be changing my running routes any time soon though. That said, If I hear someone shouting "let loose the hounds" i might get worried!

They can't block a a public right of way, thats the problem when you get a bunch of know-it-all's who think they can take the law into their own hands. Sure the airport is going to be closed next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

They can't block a a public right of way, thats the problem when you get a bunch of know-it-all's who think they can take the law into their own hands. Sure the airport is going to be closed next year anyway.

Good luck to the landowners they should have checked about rights of way disputes with the crowd in lissadel first before they started any carry on :D
    beautiful down there and way too many walkers to let any shenanigans go on unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Matters not, there's still the aero club there, so It'll be used as a private airfield I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Lissadell is a diffrent kettle of fish altogether, the anti-Lissadell group which is led by a prominent county councillor cut of their noses to spite their faces, There is a certain amount of landlordism attached to the Lisadell saga, what a shame, because that house provided a lot of local employment to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Toys Out Of The Pram

larass wrote: »
    Hi, I am a newby, was wondering if any walkers, pilots, fishermen or horseriders have any idea what is happening at the end of the runway of strandhill airport. It would appear that another gate is going up to stop access to road. Anybody got any idea what is happening and by whom.

It appears the road owner is putting up a gate. We'll have to use the public walk way at the other end of the runway anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Lissadell is a diffrent kettle of fish altogether, the anti-Lissadell group which is led by a prominent county councillor cut of their noses to spite their faces, There is a certain amount of landlordism attached to the Lisadell saga, what a shame, because that house provided a lot of local employment to the area.

that group wanted their rights of way through the estate which they now have and which were established in the courts so job done for them.
    there are others that would value the jobs on the estate and the house as an attraction of course.
    what do you mean by landlordism? the real lissadel saga would have been back in 60s i think, when things fell apart when the heir was made a ward of the courts, the gore booths would have been considered excellent progressive landlords and employers before that. the cassidy family wouldn't have been landlords of anyone in the area?
    there is a rich history to that house and also to hazelwood, it's a shame one can't visit either one now.
    my understanding is that the council went to the owners of lissadel and asked for a compromise and were told they'd be seen in court and we know how that went.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Well, the dog and I went for the "circle" on 2nd Aug from beach car park, up through the town and down past the garage. By the time we got to the stile(blocked up) the lady was not for turning!!!!!1 Hopped the wall and onto new gate. Hmmm couldn't hop that, so down to foreshore and then under electric (??) fence. ok so far until we got to the forest-all paths blocked with trees, branches and bushes!!!!! Still couldn't go back, so out into the scrub, brambles and nettles until we could get to the paths. Finally, continued on through the VERY PEACEFUL forest-no-one could get there-and emptied out the boots on the beach of all the thorns and grass. I felt a victory coming on 'til I looked at me legs-flittered with the brambles-but I beat them this time.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

little ma wrote: »
    Well, the dog and I went for the "circle" on 2nd Aug from beach car park, up through the town and down past the garage. By the time we got to the stile(blocked up) the lady was not for turning!!!!!1 Hopped the wall and onto new gate. Hmmm couldn't hop that, so down to foreshore and then under electric (??) fence. ok so far until we got to the forest-all paths blocked with trees, branches and bushes!!!!! Still couldn't go back, so out into the scrub, brambles and nettles until we could get to the paths. Finally, continued on through the VERY PEACEFUL forest-no-one could get there-and emptied out the boots on the beach of all the thorns and grass. I felt a victory coming on 'til I looked at me legs-flittered with the brambles-but I beat them this time.:D

Interesting goings on. I heard that the last 10 metres to any non private beach cannot belong to a landowner so the last 10 metres of the fench you had to duck under may be illegal.

That forest would be Coillte land I guess, so any blocking of it not done by Coillte would be illegal also.

There was a path used through the forest by the white house owners for their horses. If thats now blocked......

I didnt cross the new big fence the last time. Didnt want to get my runners wet in the foreshore. Will try and go around next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Phil_Osopher

Yes it is quite outrageous.

It is also illegal

Under the 2000 -2001 Planning Acts it is illegal to carry out any development which would: (amongst other things)

(x) consist of the fencing or enclosure of any land habitually open to or used by the public during the 10 years preceding such fencing or enclosure for recreational purposes or as a means of access to any seashore, mountain, lakeshore, riverbank or other place of natural beauty or recreational utility,
    (xi) obstruct any public right of way,

What you have to do now if you want to help to keep this pathway open to the public is very simple.

Write to the enforcement officer of Sligo County Council and complain. The Council even have a form for making the complaint and you find it here Link to Form

So don't get angry, get even.

Make a complaint to Sligo Co Co. The Planning Dept is legally obliged to investigate your complaint and write back to you telling you of their findings.

The more people who complain the better.

Act now to protect your rights of way

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

lots of people "outraged" by this who are having their first ever post on Boards - coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Phil_Osopher

Just a reminder in case you are unaware or you need a "jog"

If you want this right of way maintained, act now and submit a report to Sligo Co Co

There is far too much blocking of rights of way all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

I reckon that ol runway would make a great spot for a weekly Car Boot Sale, or maybe a bit of Road Bowling, and maybe throw in a chip van for good measure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 larass

Hi there, thought I would let you all know that there is a MAD Stallion in the field between the two electronic gates who doesnt seem to like humans. Be Careful.

Also, does anyone know who cut down the 10 or so trees in the forest between the airport and killaspugbrone beach. Its a bummer trying to enjoy a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

What's the best way to walk to Killaspugbrone church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

The best way?

A few similar options: Heres one...

Turning left off Airport Road, onto the approach road to the caravan park. Just a few yards along, (walking) there is a grass track across the field.

Follow the track, bearing right. You will be walking towards the black and white lighthouse. When u reach the water sewerage treatment place, head straight for the sea dunes, and walk along the new sea defence wall.

You should now see the wire fencing of the airport. There is a kissing gate there, proceed through that and cross the bottom of the airport runway...Church should be in sight.

thebuzz wrote: »
    What's the best way to walk to Killaspugbrone church?

Advertisement