Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docker's strike of the 1980's

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The railway actually passes through Belview Port , - The tracks are just inside the trees ,that you see in photo .

I was thinking of rebuilding the red iron bridge. The port has the rail, so if it went all the way to the industrial estate you could move containers down there very easily. Save all the hassle of putting them on trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Most businesses on the IDA estate are not move large bulky volumes of goods and there may also an issue of speed to market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

dayshah wrote: »
    I was thinking of rebuilding the red iron bridge. The port has the rail, so if it went all the way to the industrial estate you could move containers down there very easily. Save all the hassle of putting them on trucks.
    Back in the eighties it did,all the infaustructer was in place for Waterford to reach it´s potential except for one small hiccup the port was strike bound.

Sikie wrote: »
    Most businesses on the IDA estate are not move large bulky volumes of goods and there may also an issue of speed to market.

I want to attract those businesses. I'm not sure what you mean by speed to market. You can have the train running to coincide with the ships, and the rails can go directly below the crane, to be put in the ship. They do it in some places in Germany, and they are planning to have it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

By speed to market I mean most high value low bulk products can justify being air freighted anywhere golbally within 2 days. A short reactive supply chain which is not full of inventory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the cranes in belview were in fact damaged in high winds my dad worked on the bell lines ships but this was to be the nail in the coffin for bell lines as they had huge debts also, can remember my dad being second mate aboard bell europe, this was there biggest ship and the crew takin control of the ship parked just at the bridge and after painting four months no pay in big white writing on the star board side for all of waterford to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

The Cause.
    There was team´s of docker´s known as gang´s to unload each ship about 10 members in each gang.
    When a gang member died it was common practice not to replace him and divide up his wage´s between the remaining members of his gang,this was allowed to go on for years until the recession of the 80´s when the Harbour board decided to put a stop to it as part of their cost cutting plan.
    The docker´s refused and would not even enter into talk´s,went on strike, which lasted 13 years, during this time not one ship was allowed to use Waterford port.

Correct - The dockers continued to collect dead mans wages .

I can explain how this worked , but need more time to write it out here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Correct - The dockers continued to collect dead mans wages .

I can explain how this worked , but need more time to write it out here .

Please do laughter189, I am very interested in this.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Please do laughter189, I am very interested in this.

I'm just curious what your interest in this is? Is it just curiosity, or are you writing a history thesis?

dayshah wrote: »
    I'm just curious what your interest in this is? Is it just curiosity, or are you writing a history thesis?

Hahaha, no I'm not writing a history thesis. I'm just curious. Someone mentioned it in another thread and it aroused my curiosity. And when something arouses my curiosity, I try and find out about it as much as possible.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I asked my father about this during the week, I think he is still explaining it 4 days later! It explains how Waterford is seen as a unionised strike pron city. I always thought was only due to Waterford Glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I asked my father about this during the week, I think he is still explaining it 4 days later! It explains how Waterford is seen as a unionised strike pron city. I always thought was only due to Waterford Glass.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

IIRC, didn't violence break out every now and again? I remember hearing someone got hot water thrown over them.

Advertisement