Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media player looks for password

Options
  • 16-07-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I have a media player that can connect with a LAN so I can share and stream movies from my PC's hard drive. I've set up the network, and I can see the PC on the Media Players menu. However, when I go to select the contents of my PC, I'm asked for a username and password, neither I set up for. I have sharing turned on for my C drive. In the password protected sharing in the advanced sharing setting, I have it disabled. When I log on to the PC, there is no password either. Yet, this player asks me for one. Anyone have any ideas?

Forgot to mention. This worked fine under XP, but not with Windows 7 that I'm trying to get it to work with now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I had the same problem with my wireless media player (Asus O!Play HDP-R3) on Windows 7. It took me days of trying and frustration before I got it sorted but everything is working fine now.

You have to set Sharing, Permissions and Security options for the folder to be shared. It's not advisable (but possible) for security reasons to share the root of a drive see here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-XM/windows7/How-do-I-share-the-root-of-a-drive

Here's how I got mine working:

To enable Folder Access

Right click on the folder to be shared and select "Properties"
    Select the "Sharing" tab
    Click the "Advanced Sharing" button
    Check the "Share this folder" box
    Click the "Permissions" button
    Select "Everyone" and check the boxes for "Full Control", "Change", and "Read" as required.
    If "Everyone" is not listed click the "Add" button. Type "Everyone" in the box and click "Check Names" button then select the check boxes under "Allow" then "OK"

Select the "Security" tab
    Select "Everyone" and select the required boxes, click "Edit" to change.
    If "Everyone" is not listed, click the "Advanced" button
    Click the "Change Permissions" button the click the "Add" button type "Everyone" in the box, click "Check Names" then click in the check boxes under "Allow" then "OK"

Make sure that streaming is allowed under Network and Sharing. Control Panel-> Network and Sharing->Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options ->Choose Media Streaming Options->All Networks and make sure that they're set to "Allowed"

I also came across a registry hack for Windows 7 to make sharing work, but only attempt this if your familiar with registry editing. It's advisable to create a Restore Point and make a registry backup first.
    =========================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "LimitBlankPasswordUse"=dword:00000001
    "NoLmHash"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters]

"restrictnullsessaccess"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

"everyoneincludesanonymous"=dword:00000001
    =========================

Not sure if the registry hack is neccessary but I had already changed mine before changing the options listed above and never bothered trying to undo it.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks oisin. I have a lot of pemissions allowed as it is, but I'll check and see if I'm missing anything. If still no go, I'll try the registry edit. I'm sure it's not a lot stopping it from working, so hopefully your solution wokrs out fine.

Unfortunately that didn't work, including the reg hack. All I can see in the media player is my PC name and when I select it, I'm still asked for a user:pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Hve you got password protected sharing turned off.
    Network and Sharing Center->Choose homegroup and sharing options->Change advanced sharing settings->Scroll down to Password Protected Sharing and click the radio button to turn off password protected sharing.

Also make sure the time and date is set to match on your media player and your PC, if they're not it can cause problems.

Yep, I have the Password Protected Sharing turned off alright. I don't think there is a time on the player. I'll check and see. Damn annoying this

• Advertisement
Advertisement