Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring up an immersion switch

• 16-07-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, My old immersion switch had a high resistance and was heating up so I am replacing. I have a swutch similar to below

newswitch.jpg

I'm going to wire it up as follows

Brown to Nout
    Black into L1
    Blue L2
    Lout connected to COM with a short piece of wire.

I also have a 220V light that is outside the hotpress that was also wired up to the old switch so that when the immersion is on the 220V light would come on. I'm unsure how to wire it up to this new switch .....Help :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I think I know but just want a second opinion....Do I kust connect the light across Nout and Lout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Take a pic of the top of the immersion element and post it,and what's written on the front of the switch.Is at sink at the top and Bath at the bottom?

Its brown to Lin and Blue to Nin from your timer or fuseboard.Then join Lout to Com. after that it depends on the particular immersion group you have.

Usually it will be Brown from the flex to whichever of the L1 or L2 is the Bath,Black from the flex to whichever of L1 or L2 is the sink and Blue from the flex to Nout

Thats if you have a small tank with a combined bath and sink element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

It's not good practice to tap off the immersion circuit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just as superg says, the flex out to the immersions can vary in what colour was used for bath, sink, and neutral.

Take a pic of the top of immersion with cover removed will enable the neutral to be conformed, after that a multi meter can confirm bath and sink.

Or if you like, you can work them all out with a multi meter without removing the cover.

Measure resistance black to brown, black to blue and brown to blue.

Find the 2 colours that give 45 ohms or around that, this is both elements in series, so the other wire left in the flex in this test (besides earth) is the neutral.

Now test from this neutral to each wire that gave the 45 ohms, and the bath wire will give 17 ohms or so, the sink wire will be 26 ohms or so. Take note of them ad connect as superg described then.

Yea id agree with that, although if it was just a small indication light of some sort to show the immersion was on, it may not be too bad.

• Advertisement

Duly noted...TBH I was surprised it was done in the first place. It's a mains bulb that is fed from the circuit. I'm thinking I'll leave it out of the circuit completely.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea id agree with that, although if it was just a small indication light of some sort to show the immersion was on, it may not be too bad.

HOw would you wire that light up Rob?

HOw would you wire that light up Rob?

It would be from the Lout Nout of the immersion switch. The best thing would be a neon indicator of some sort that could be put outside the press, maybe even a fused spur with neon on it purely as indicator fitted into a dry lining box, supplied from these terminals. It would light whenever the immersion is on.

Its not usually done though, but it would stop people forgetting it has been left on maybe.

Good idea... Am I right in saying all new immersion switches are fitted outside the hot press as standard now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

OMG dont connect it that way anyway. Blue to Nout, L1 & L2 is the bath and sink connection you will have to meter this out to find out which is which. Normally the black is the sink and the brown is the bath.

• Advertisement

I think your not reading the full post. He asked about the neon light being connected up not the immersion....

Good idea... Am I right in saying all new immersion switches are fitted outside the hot press as standard now???

Yes they are now, so that would be that sorted anyway as far as seeing they are on or off then.

beanie10 wrote: »
    OMG dont connect it that way anyway. Blue to Nout, L1 & L2 is the bath and sink connection you will have to meter this out to find out which is which. Normally the black is the sink and the brown is the bath.

You might have to read the full thread before saying that, its not as if its very long. I was talking about wiring an indicator neon from the immersion switch to a position outside the hot press.

Also, not every immersion down the years had the blue in the flex as the neutral. And a clear description of how to identify bath, sink, and neutral is in post #5

As a matter of interest anyway, if you have brown, black, and blue, it would not matter what one is connected to the neutral and which 2 are connected to the L1 and L2 even though it wont work properly, nothing bad is going to happen. The immersion will just have one element working properly and when the other one is selected, both elements will be in series. Hardly the end of the world, although when switched into this series setup, the stat will be out of the circuit, which wouldnt be ideal.

Hats off to you Rob :) I'm wiring her up this mornin' ...will let yiz know how I get on

The blue in the flex should be the neutral anyway. Years ago i seen them with brown as neutral, and someone had the same question here a few weeks ago who took a photo of the immersion with cap off it and the brown was neutral in that too, but any in the last fair few years its blue, but i always either still test or visualy check anyway.

Under the cap anyway, the neutral in the flex goes to the stat on single stat ones and then out of the stst to the link that joins both elements.

On dual stat ones, the neutral in the flex goes straight to the link that joins both elements, so on any immersion the flex neutral ends up connected to the common link.

So like in post #5, blue to black and blue to brown will tell which element is bath and which is sink, once the blue is confirmed as neutral. And if blue is neutral,, if you measure resistance from brown to black, it will equal the readings of blue to black+blue to brown. So again, as in post #5, if you find black to brown is 45 ohms (for a 2kw sink, 3kw bath immersion), you know the one left, (blue) is neutral.

Assuming blue is neutral, measure blue-black, and blue brown and the lower reading is the bath. But which ever is neutral, the same applies.

I think your not reading the full post. He asked about the neon light being connected up not the immersion....
    Sorry i was replying to the first post.The answer to where the light is connected is on the picture of the switch(on the back of the double pole side of the switch). Just trying to warn him before he connected brown to live out and blue to L2.

Sorry i was replying to the first post.The answer to where the light is connected is on the picture of the switch(on the back of the double pole side of the switch). Just trying to warn him before he connected brown to live out and blue to L2.

Blue to L2 would not have any actual electrical problem, no short circuits or anything like that. All that happens is with the bath/sink in one position, one element will work properly, but switch the other way and it will have both elements in series, the consequences of which are the stat out of the circuit, and the heat output will be only 1.1kw. Draw out the diagram and try it.

Years ago some flexes had the blue as one of the lives, seems unbelievable, but we were reminded of it here a few weeks ago when someone put a pic up of one of them.

EDIT: Never noticed the little diagram of where to connect the indicator light myself:)

Blue is neutral and should be connected to neutral connection and if it is old and blue is live its good practice to go back to the immersion and and rewire it to current colour codes.
    I wouldnt be happy wiring up an immersion with the possibility of the stat being left out of the circuit, this is highly dangerous and ive seen the consequences of this first hand. With no stat the water boils up to the cold storage tank in attic which is plastic. The hot water puts the tank out of shape and spills over.
    A couple went off for weekend and left immersion on, the stat failed on which caused the boiling water to over flow from storage tank down onto childs bed, luckily they werent there.

Blue is neutral and should be connected to neutral connection and if it is old and blue is live its good practice to go back to the immersion and and rewire it to current colour codes.
    I wouldnt be happy wiring up an immersion with the possibility of the stat being left out of the circuit, this is highly dangerous and ive seen the consequences of this first hand. With no stat the water boils up to the cold storage tank in attic which is plastic. The hot water puts the tank out of shape and spills over.
    A couple went off for weekend and left immersion on, the stat failed on which caused the boiling water to over flow from storage tank down onto childs bed, luckily they werent there.

If they were there they would of likely known there was something seriously wrong long before that happened, it is very noisy in a house with a boiling cylinder. I have seen it myself also.

Anyway, no one here said to connect a neutral to L1 or L2.

Nor did i say the stat out of the circuit was good, it simply sounded like you thought there would be a short circuit when you said OMG dont connect like that. What was the OMG for? You realised the stat is out of circuit in one switched position? Or thought blue to L1 or L2 was a short circuit?

What we said was dont assume for certain blue is neutral on an immersion, if this is what you do, fair enough.

But the best practice is to check on any immersion to confirm blue is neutral. Thats what is being advised here.

EDIT: Actually you were replying to the OP when you said OMG, but still, no one here is advising bypassing the stat anywhere. Just showing the consequences of connecting a neutral to L1 or L2 is stat bypass with switch in one of either bath or sink position, which one depending on which the neutral in the flex was connected to.

Again, it would likely be noticed by the user, as in this position, the immersion would be extremely slow to heat, as 2 elements in series are only giving 1kw or so.

If you read the original post where he is going to connect brown to Nout and blue to L2. Dont know about you but when someone says that alarm bells start ringing on my head. You dont know what will happen as a consequence, it could work, it could be slow to heat so he may leave it on all night. The best thing to do here is to open up the immersion and start from there.dont assume blue is L2. As stated the reason for changing the switch is cause the old switch is getting hot, maybe its connected wrong from the start. The way its connected to immersion needs to be investigated.

• Advertisement

If you read the original post where he is going to connect brown to Nout and blue to L2. Dont know about you but when someone says that alarm bells start ringing on my head.

No, alarm bells dont really ring, i just calmy tell them to confirm what is what. And thats what i and superg have done.

What did you believe happens when the neutral core is connected to L1?
    You dont know what will happen as a consequence, it could work, it could be slow to heat so he may leave it on all night. The best thing to do here is to open up the immersion and start from there.dont assume blue is L2.
    As already said, im assuming nothing, which is why i advised confirming what cores are what. The multimeter tests described in post #5 wont lie. In 10 seconds, all 3 cores can be positively identified beyond any doubt, unless 2 are connected to the same terminal in the immersion, which will also be shown within the same 10 seconds.
    As stated the reason for changing the switch is cause the old switch is getting hot, maybe its connected wrong from the start. The way its connected to immersion needs to be investigated.

It has already been described how to confirm what core is what. Old immersion switches, particulary them old ones with the sticking out rockers, did tend to get noticeably warm anyway.

If the 3 cores were connected to 3 seperate terminals in the original switch, then there is no way the 3 of them could of been connected in any way to have a load higher than the 3kw bath element, and as described already, wrong connected neutral leads to one element working properly, and the other switch position has the 2 in series, so a lower kw than the small sink element. So 3kw is the max no matter gow they are connected, once 2 are not in the same switch terminal.

Did the resistance test from the immersion flex and identified what was what. Black = sink, Brown =Bath and blue =neutral ...Happy days. I have wired the bulb between Live in and Neutral out ...All working and I'm still alive. Thanks for all the help folks! :D

Did the resistance test from the immersion flex and identified what was what. Black = sink, Brown =Bath and blue =neutral ...Happy days. I have wired the bulb between Live in and Neutral out ...All working and I'm still alive. Thanks for all the help folks! :D

The bulb should be between Live out and Neutral out if its for indication purposes. If from Live in then the bulb will have a live feed even with the immersion switch off.

That's the way it was wired in originally :) It's ok like this yeah? I mean the immersion is working with both elements and with the switch off the light is off too. I suppose it wouldn't be any hassle to rewire it to lout and nout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

why don't you just relocate the switch outside HP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you have to do this -wire the lamp through a spur

M cebee wrote: »
    if you have to do this -wire the lamp through a spur

My idea earlier was to use a spur with a neon as the actual indicator outside the press.

That's the way it was wired in originally :) It's ok like this yeah? I mean the immersion is working with both elements and with the switch off the light is off too. I suppose it wouldn't be any hassle to rewire it to lout and nout.

No i would change it to the L out, it is only switching the neutral to the light, so it will go off, but it should also switch the Live too.

As M cebee says, a spur should be used out to the light. Although i would use a spur with neon as an actual indicator if it was me, if moving the immersion switch out was awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Hi,
    This thread is very helpful and allowed me to use a multimeter for the first time. I discovered that brown is neutral for me.
    Having wired the immersion switch, I am wondering about is how to wire the Timer (APT analog time clock). It has blue and brown coming from the fuse box and the blue and brown going onwards to the immersion switch. But how to wire it. It is not labelled with L1 etc.
    Should the blues be together? Should the browns be alongside each other. There seems to be three empty slots the other side of each has a red and black, red, and red and black respectively.
    The way I had it wired:
    Slot 1 brown from fusebox
    slot 2 brown going to immersion switch
    slot 3 both blues
    (earths were tied together)
    Result: Light on switch always on (off, on and clock switch positions)

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Post a photo of the connections if you can. there should be a label on it near the connections indicating what's what.Either way there is most likely L in for Brown from the fuse board,N In for blue from the fuse board,L out for brown out to the immersion switch and N out for Blue out to the immersion switch.

photo would help

Advertisement