Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biochem

• 16-07-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Anyone doing CPC in 2nd year after completing year1 of Biological and Chemical Sciences?!? Is it difficult to get in to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Anyone doing CPC in 2nd year after completing year1 of Biological and Chemical Sciences?!? Is it difficult to get in to?

if it's what you want to do just go for it and don't worry about it. i've never heard of anyone not getting in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BCMP

20 spaces, can be competitive, want to have gotten over 70%, or even more, in 1st year Chem. Then again, lately people seem to just crowd into the biology options so it might not be too bad the next few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭is maith liom chocolate

oh, hopefully anyway!! I really want to do it! And I failed my physics exam so i'm afraid that'll have some sort of effect on my chances. Are you doing CPC?

Nope I'm a 1st year like yourself, just a very informed first year :p I know a few CPC students in 2nd year and they were telling me all about it!

Failing physics won't affect your chances, so long as you passed everything else and did pretty well in Chemistry, you'll be fine. Places in CPC are filled according to Chemistry grades for first year, as in, the first slot is filled by the person who got the best % and had applied to CPC, then they second slot filled with the person who applied with the second highest % and so on!

Physics and any other subject has no bearing on whether you get into CPC!

What I have been told about CPC is that, unless you feel you have a true calling to chemistry, that it'll be extremely difficult on you mentally, a lot of hard work and questioning your choice, but get through it and you're set for life :D

Best of luck with it anyway, hope you get in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

I'm hoping to do CPC in September, it's a bit daunting though, all I've heard is that it's really hard =/ but I pretty much decided before the start of last year that I wanted to do it. Hopefully I get in!

• Advertisement

BCMP wrote: »
    Nope I'm a 1st year like yourself, just a very informed first year :p I know a few CPC students in 2nd year and they were telling me all about it!

Failing physics won't affect your chances, so long as you passed everything else and did pretty well in Chemistry, you'll be fine. Places in CPC are filled according to Chemistry grades for first year, as in, the first slot is filled by the person who got the best % and had applied to CPC, then they second slot filled with the person who applied with the second highest % and so on!

Physics and any other subject has no bearing on whether you get into CPC!

What I have been told about CPC is that, unless you feel you have a true calling to chemistry, that it'll be extremely difficult on you mentally, a lot of hard work and questioning your choice, but get through it and you're set for life :D

Best of luck with it anyway, hope you get in :)

MENTALLY!! Oh jeez, sounds scary, :P , I like chemistry though, It's one subject I actually like studying. What do you mean by 'questioning my choice'

Aoi wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do CPC in September, it's a bit daunting though, all I've heard is that it's really hard =/ but I pretty much decided before the start of last year that I wanted to do it. Hopefully I get in!

Yeah I know of a load of people who want to do it, so it's pretty competitive, I probably won't get it. But hey I tried.

Oh we're in the same year then, how cool?

MENTALLY!! Oh jeez, sounds scary, :P , I like chemistry though, It's one subject I actually like studying. What do you mean by 'questioning my choice'

I mean you might start thinking you shouldn't have picked it once you realise how hard it is, but stick with it, you'll be rolling in dosh once you graduate :cool:

Also I hear lab reports will take up 20+ hours a week, you have been warned!

Oh right, thanks a million :D I probably won't even get it like. But no harm in doing a little research I suppose!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 star of the county down

I did CPC, now doing a PhD, in my year there were 14, the years above and below had round about the same so you should be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

Yeah I know of a load of people who want to do it, so it's pretty competitive, I probably won't get it. But hey I tried.

Oh we're in the same year then, how cool?

That's pretty cool alright, I know a few people who were going to do CPC, but right now I'm not sure who's doing what. As far as I know if you pass all your modules first time round you've a better chance of getting in, seeing as people who fail a module aren't considered before people who pass everything. So passing made me feel a little more confident that I'll get it ^^ Be grand sure =p

Advertisement