Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the states

• 16-07-2011 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi
    I just came back from a 2 month holiday in the united states,
    This is my third time being there.
    The last time i was there i lived there for 3 months.
    I was wondering is there any way i can live there

I really badly want to live in the united states
    I have a lot of friends who live there and i have some family cousins aunts uncles,

I don't have a college degree only a few certs from a few certs i did
    But if anyone could tell me anyways i could go there and live there i would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sorry but there isn't any way for you to go over to live at this time.

Family is out as only siblings, parents, kids over 21 and spouses/ fiancees can petition you- so the only way to get over that way would be for an aunt or uncle to get your parent a visa, and then they petition for you,l but that would take decades and your parents would need to go live over there too.

Would you consider studying further? You could study in the USA if you have the money to pay for their high fees, or study in Ireland and then get the year long J1 to spend some time in the USA. Getting a Masters degree would also make it more likely to get an employer to sponsor you for a work visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 AVD

How high would the fees be?
    Yeah i could do that i guess,
    Do you have any information about it?

The fees would entirely depend on the school you attend and the course. So you'd need to figure out what you want to study, then research universities/ colleges which offer that subject and look at their websites for International Student fees. Keep in mind that you'll only be able to work on campus and for a max of 20 hours, which may pay most of your expenses but probably not the fees. Hence you need savings, someone (parent etc) to pay for it or possibly scholarships (difficult to get).

The visa you need is an F1. It is easy to get once you are accepted by the university, unless you have a criminal record. It does not lead to a greencard but you can keep reneweing it until your money runs out and of course time spent in the US means you may make connections with employers who will sponsor you for a work visa, or might end up meeting and marrying a US citizen who can sponsor you.

What kind of employers could sponser me?
    And how much would it be for them to sponser me?

Any employer can sponsor you if they get labor certification. I am not sure how much that costs. Then, they need to go through the process of applying for a visa for you, which costs them about $5000 (usually done by a lawyer; you are not allowed to pay them for this, the employer needs to pay). Visa are only available for highly skilled people (generally artists, chemists, doctors etc); basically, they need to show there are no Americans they can employ.

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    Sorry but there isn't any way for you to go over to live at this time.

Family is out as only siblings, parents, kids over 21 and spouses/ fiancees can petition you- so the only way to get over that way would be for an aunt or uncle to get your parent a visa, and then they petition for you,l but that would take decades and your parents would need to go live over there too.

Would you consider studying further? You could study in the USA if you have the money to pay for their high fees, or study in Ireland and then get the year long J1 to spend some time in the USA. Getting a Masters degree would also make it more likely to get an employer to sponsor you for a work visa.

Yeah i would be very interested in further study to either go to college in the states or get the year long j1 visa,
    Is there any easy/cheap course that i could do to avail of this?

Plenty of easy courses, and most colleges are happy to fill out the I-20 form you need to get the visa, but the cheap- not so much. College in the USA is expensive, even in lesser known community colleges.

What kind of courses are acceptable?
    Could you name out one or two so i have a rough idea?
    Thanks a lot for this info by the way :)

There are hundred of university and community colleges in the USA, each with dozens or hundred of courses, I really cannot just mention one or two, sorry. I believe most full-time courses are acceptable. I would pick an area you want to go to, then look up community colleges there (they tend to be cheaper than "full universities") and see what they offer that may interest you. Keep in mind that not only will you need to pay the fees, but also you won't be able to work a lot- maximum of 20 hours, and on-campus only.

You might try starting a new topic asking for those who went to university in the USA for their experiences, what sort of money was needed etc. I know there are some boardsies who attend(ed) college here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cannot speak for the United States in terms of numbers of community colleges and universities, but I can address California's public institutions:

112 California Community Colleges with 2.9 million students:
    http://www.cccco.edu/Home/tabid/189/Default.aspx

23 campuses of the California State University system with 412,000 students:
    http://www.calstate.edu/

9 campuses of the University of California with 220,000 students:
    http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/welcome.html

The above excludes California private colleges and universities, and there are a considerable number of those. For example, the private university I attend is:

University of Southern California with 32,836 students:
    http://www.usc.edu/
    (Fight on Trojans!)

If you are interested in sampling courses of study, they call these majors and minors in the States, and you can access them on the above links by clicking academics at the campus you are interested in attending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement