Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-Life at City Square

• 16-07-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

This was the square yesterday - why did the Gardai give them 15 minutes to take down the canopy .

They are pro-life - sounds ok to me :

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1711-1.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

CopyofDSCN1714.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Because they shouldn't be there annoying people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I wouldnt want my little girl walking past and seeing those photos. If they were shown on TV before the watershed, there'd be consequences so I think the Gardaí were right. Its not a pro life / pro abortion stance.. Its purely from a point of view that having images like that put in front of unsuspecting children is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Dont think it required that many guards to tell them to move on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Pro life so it's all good in my opinion.
    The pictures are a bit much for kids in fairness but they're not lying so its catch 22. Gets a point across but could upset kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

seanybiker wrote: »
    they're not lying so its catch 22

You could make that point for an adult audience but theres no way children should be seeing that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Dont think it required that many guards to tell them to move on....

Did the gardaí move them on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

The pictures are a bit much for kids in fairness but they're not lying so its catch 22. Gets a point across but could upset kids.

If it wasnt for all those damn kids around the place, the pro-lifers might be allowed to set up these stands and help the kids!! Now THATS a catch 22 :p

@Finnbar: Says in the OP gardai gave them 15 minutes to take down the stand

That's what I said. It gets a point across but can also upset kids. Maybe not catch 22 but I can't think of a proper saying for it oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They were gone within 15 minutes of the Gardai arriving in three squad cars and a wagon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Those pictures are a bit much for people just going about their shopping. I think leaflets with the photos would be enough, that way they wouldn't have to give them to kids.

Red square is a public place, so they have a right to have a protest there. But I think a big canopy is taking over a bit too much space (that and the horrible coffee place).

A table and some placards should be enough.

• Advertisement

That's what I said. It gets a point across but can also upset kids. Maybe not catch 22 but I can't think of a proper saying for it oops

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

It was actually organised by Youth Defence Waterford :

http://www.youthdefence.ie/who-we-are/what-they-say/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

If it wasnt for all those damn kids around the place, the pro-lifers might be allowed to set up these stands and help the kids!! Now THATS a catch 22 :p

Ok, my bad. But do you know why the gards wantedt them to move on in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

The guards wouldn't be so quick to turn up at a halting site

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I'm not taking a side here, but a lot of women/couples that have had abortions were not done without having to put a lot of thought into it - some for medical reasons etc.

It's also not fair on those that legitimately had an abortion to be ridiculed in public and for past memories to be dragged up time and time again. I'm sure it's pretty hard for anyone to make that decision.

As people have said before, perhaps leaflets would of been more appropriate.

I can see this thread going south very quickly :D

Typhoon. wrote: »
    I can see this thread going south very quickly :D

Are you pro-thread? I think its a viable thread. It would be wrong to kill it off when it successfully reached its 2nd page and showed it was viable.

Pro-thread? yeah.. i say keep it goin

I can see this thread going many pages

time to get the popcorn in

Pro-thread? yeah.. i say keep it goin

I can see this thread going many pages

time to get the popcorn in

ooh, it'd be great it one of the protesters came on. It'd sort out my nights entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

and thats the truth.

• Advertisement

Could anyone find out the official reason why they were told to move on etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I don't think its suitable to leave these pictures in front of kids, their deliberately misleading too as thy show gruesome pictures of late term abortions which are illegal pretty much everywhere.
    Just once Id like to see the pro life groups supporting struggling women instead of scaring them.

Join up the next time they rake recruits and show em how its done sure. Lol

Na seriously though. How many times have the guards brought people from halting sites to court only for the judge to throw the case out? If I was a cop I wouldn't see the point in arresting them if nothing is going to happen to them. Its not the cops fault they are let off.

On topic. Some people see an abortion as just one of them things that needs to be done.
    Was talking to one of the girls I know over in Canada a few months back and she was telling me she was pregnant. O congratulated her and she said. Oh no Sean I'm not keeping it. I don't want another child now so ill book in and get an abortion. She wasn't raped or anything, it was her husband who got her pregnant and she decided when just didn't want the child. In my opinion people like that need to be sterilized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Join up the next time they rake recruits and show em how its done sure. Lol

Na seriously though. How many times have the guards brought people from halting sites to court only for the judge to throw the case out? If I was a cop I wouldn't see the point in arresting them if nothing is going to happen to them. Its not the cops fault they are let off.

On topic. Some people see an abortion as just one of them things that needs to be done.
    Was talking to one of the girls I know over in Canada a few months back and she was telling me she was pregnant. O congratulated her and she said. Oh no Sean I'm not keeping it. I don't want another child now so ill book in and get an abortion. She wasn't raped or anything, it was her husband who got her pregnant and she decided when just didn't want the child. In my opinion people like that need to be sterilized.

It is such a divided subject isn't it? I mean it's not very often you see a argument where there is no middle ground. Personally I'm not against them but I don't think they should be used as a method of contraception either like I have a hard time grasping people just saying they don't want a child. Plenty of people out there would love to adopt.

With regards the protest, people have the right to protest whatever they want and I can't help but admire their conviction but a bit of common sense with the pictures wouldn't have gone astray. If I were to protest something not as provoking and had a load of disturbing posters I'd be rightly moved too.

Some of the protesting can be a bit in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Whats the issue?? those posters were completely unacceptable to have shown in the middle of the day end of discussion id give them 5 minutes to take them down before they were confiscated.
    Considering you planning application to put a sandwich board outside your business i don't see how they could be allowed erect a stall willy nilly.

Christ can you imagine the tourists "I had a lovely stay in Waterford except for pictures of dead fetuses shoved in my face"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I can see this thread going south very quickly biggrin.gif
    You'r input is not much use,and well said jaiboi,and seany you'r right in what you said (Join up the next time they rake recruits and show em how its done .)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

The gardai shouldn't have even given them 15 mins to take down their stall.

What I find really disgusting about this shower is how they normally have balloons to hand out to children and use them to attract children over to their stall exposing them to such graphic images. Children find these images upsetting and that's not right. They clearly do not give a damn about children and their welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Down with this sort of thing have no time for this sort of thing, why is there so many blokes involved with these organisations ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pro life so it's all good in my opinion.
    So if I showed people the horrific evils of what the Nazi scientists did to people during WW2, it'd be okay as it was "factually true" and will "educate the kids of the evils of history"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement