Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-Life at City Square

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

dayshah wrote: »
    Pro-choice says abortion isn't wrong/shouldn't be banned. But if its not wrong why do women feel guilty for having an abortion rather than put the baby up for adoption?
    That comment is, itself, a little black & white.

Many women who have an abortion will think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Many others will not have such firm feelings and will be have serious internal conflict both before and after an abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

drkpower wrote: »
    That comment is, itself, a little black & white.

Many women who have an abortion will think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Many others will not have such firm feelings and will be have serious internal conflict both before and after an abortion.

Yeah, I suppose a woman with cancer would have a serious dilemma. Eg continue with pregnancy (stop chemotherapy) and the woman could likely die, or continue with chemo and the fetus dies. So I accept its not black and white.

But a lot of pro-choice people are very inconsistent. For example some feminists want abortion on demand. But they also think selective abortions based on gender (eg aborting female fetuses because people want a son) is wrong. I think this is consistent.

Sure I've done bad things in my life, and I shouldn't try to hide from the consequences. So I think if someone had an abortion for some non-life-threatening reason they shouldn't have a 'right' not to face the consequences of that decision. With choice comes responsibility.

But anyway I accept its not black/white, and I think the UK need to have a debate about aspects of abortion like is down-syndrome a valid reason to abort a fetus, should they be legal after 12-weeks, as well as the general debate about is it ok at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

But a lot of pro-choice people are very inconsistent. For example some feminists want abortion on demand. But they also think selective abortions based on gender (eg aborting female fetuses because people want a son) is wrong. I think this is consistent.
    It is possible to believe there should be a legal right to abortion on demand on the basis of personal autonomy yet not favour that people exercise that right on the basis of somewhat frivilous concerns such as the sex of the baby (or the effect on your waistline or whatever else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Bloody Religious Fundamentalists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ziedth wrote: »
    It just occured to me but what are they actually protesting? Like abortion is still Ilegal in Ireland AFAIK.
    Looked more like a recruitment stall tbh. Would only attract people who had such an interest...
    For example some feminists want abortion on demand. But they also think selective abortions based on gender (eg aborting female fetuses because people want a son) is wrong. I think this is consistent.
    So said feminists want abortion on demand so that they are "free" to choose, and also only seem to want male foetuses aborted? Sounds like a crazy nazi feminist to me; but luckily there aren't many of them, and hopefully most feminists ignore them.

=-=

For the record, I think abortion is wrong after 12 weeks, but I'm pro-choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yeah, I suppose a woman with cancer would have a serious dilemma. Eg continue with pregnancy (stop chemotherapy) and the woman could likely die
    Didn't that happen in Waterford a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

This is a line of argument I really don't get.[QUOTE]

I know of several people who have had abortions and still can get very upset about it, even though they feel they made the right decision. All be it a very upsetting decision to what they felt was a desparate situation in which they found themselves.

There is nothing black and white about abortion - it seems to envolve pain, heartache and adult decision making. Its not a situation I would like to find myself in and not a decision I would like to feel I had no choice but to make.
    I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who feels that this is a choice they have to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

the_syco wrote: »
    So said feminists want abortion on demand so that they are "free" to choose, and also only seem to want male foetuses aborted?

Not really. They are more focused on places like India and China where significantly more boys are born than girls. There people would prefer a boy, and so a lot of the female fetuses are aborted.

But I think this debate does attract extremists on both sides very quickly. I suppose the issue is that the circumstances people are in are never black and white, but the abortion itself is (in that once its done it can't be undone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I had my scan on my first lad in London it was hospital policy not to tell parents the sex of the baby so women would not go off and terminate the pregnancy if it wasn't the sex they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This stopped being about Waterford a long time ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

deisemum wrote: »
    The gardai shouldn't have even given them 15 mins to take down their stall.

What I find really disgusting about this shower is how they normally have balloons to hand out to children and use them to attract children over to their stall exposing them to such graphic images. Children find these images upsetting and that's not right. They clearly do not give a damn about children and their welfare.

This is the reality of abortion. The pro choice brigade don't want you to see the awful harsh reality. Abortion is murder - how best to show that than to display the end result - i.e. a dead baby. It's not just children who find the images upsetting - any rational decent minded person would. But let's educate ourselves about what abortion really entails. It can't be just swept under the carpet. If the actions of YD save one life, it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Abortion is about VICTIMS not viewpoints. The victim is not given any 'choice'.
    The innocent child is the victim of a paid HITMAN. (Why are most abortionists men?)
    The life of the child is extinguished by the abortionist (the hitman) in return for MONEY.
    Abrtion is the ultimate in CHILD ABUSE.
    Supporters of abortion like to CONCEAL the truth about the violence that is abortion.
    Pictures show the reality of that VIOLENCE.
    Abortion is not an 'issue' to be 'debated' and 'resolved'... rather it is a grave INJUSTICE to be condemned and abolished.

Is this really the place to be giving his religious beliefs against abortion ?? and I bet the poster is not even from Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can we get this closed or moved at all? Stopped being about Waterford/City Square around 5 or 6 posts in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

iv tried to follow the posts up to now on this thread but i tink iv failed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

As far as I'm aware, this issue has been discussed many times in the Humanities forum (Abortion, not the Pro-Life campaign).

I think it best that if people want to continue the discussion, they start a thread over there instead, as this is no longer relevant to Waterford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement