Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steve Earle

Options
  • 16-07-2011 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Any fans on Boards? I've done a search and there's been very little said about him! I've only gotten into him recently but I have to say he's absolutely fantastic, Guitar Town has jumped straight into my favourite albums ever list!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Agree!
    I found him first in the Dead Man Walking soundtrack : amazing. He dies a great cover in Sharon Shannon & Friends Galway Girl Album ... Both very gettable!!!! hMV had him on sale last week I regret not doing a but of a mad spend!!
    The Dead Man Walking Soundtrack also comes in a version with a bonus DVD featuring a concert with him also on it... Well worth a google!!!

I gotta say thou; that hillbilly just dosnt do it for me thou! Might be allergic to the hay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Brilliant artist. Check out his all acoustic 'Live at Montreux' gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Seen him back in the 90's in the Olympia, puts on a good show! Lovely acoustic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yep, he's good.
    Saw him in London early 90s and saw him in Galway around 95/96.
    Great both times,

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Steve is a legend but check out Justin Townes Earle

http://www.justintownesearle.com/

you can see Steve and Justin playing on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Amazing song from not so long ago regarding the case of John Walker Lindh:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Great artist. Don't know his earlier stuff but Jerusalem and The Revolution Starts Now are both great musically, politicially fired albums about the wars in Iraq/ Afghanistan and Bush and the Republicans. Love the song above
    Talented man when he's off the various addictions. He's also got a book of short stories (Doghouse Roses) which I'd recommend and appears in the Wire, as well as doing the song (Way Down in the Hole) for one of the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

That version of Galway Girl is not a cover. He wrote it. He's playing here again soon. Well worth seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

He's one of the best singer/songwriters out there. Huge fan of his. Saw him live when I was like 7 and I've been hooked ever since. A true artist of telling a story in a song and a brilliant musician. Also lived a life every bit as wild as any half-talented rock musician. Excellent...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

WHat really gets my goat is people think Mundy wrote the Galway Girl. His version is rubbish compared to Steve Earle's........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michelle502

Saw him last night in the Olympia, huge fan I've been looking forward to seeing him for a long time. I was disappointed thought he was very "flat" not really into it. It was the 100th show of this tour, maybe they were tired / bored?? Alison Morrer was amazing, so talented and what a voice she stole the show! Still a fan but wouldn't rush out to give him my money for another concert ............... Think he benefits from studio tweaking, listened to his new album in the car on way home and his voice sounded a lot lot better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

his covers album of townes van zandt songs was excellant also i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Saw him last night in the Olympia, huge fan I've been looking forward to seeing him for a long time. I was disappointed thought he was very "flat" not really into it. It was the 100th show of this tour, maybe they were tired / bored?? Alison Morrer was amazing, so talented and what a voice she stole the show! Still a fan but wouldn't rush out to give him my money for another concert ............... Think he benefits from studio tweaking, listened to his new album in the car on way home and his voice sounded a lot lot better

Did almost a 3 hour show. Started bang on 8 when about a quarter of the people were not in their seats - what part of "8 pm sharp" on the ticket did they not understand, I wonder?
    Realistically, the new album is not a patch on his earlier material so the first hour was a waste of time. It would have been an hour and a half show if he only played the second set. And it would have been a better show overall. Just saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

The stuff he does with the Del McCoury band is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

he was on later with Jools Holland tonight, repeated the weekend, saturday I think if anyone's bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Wertz wrote: »
    he was on later with Jools Holland tonight, repeated the weekend, saturday I think if anyone's bothered.

Thanks. Find alot of stuff on the show crap, and Jools is a pain in the hole. I'll watch it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He's playing a solo gig in the NCH in August if anyone's interested.

Saw him in the Cork Opera house on his 'Townes' tour.

Stunning performance.

Temaz wrote: »
    Saw him in the Cork Opera house on his 'Townes' tour.

Stunning performance.

I thought his last two tours with the Dukes/Mastersons were excellent so this solo gig will be quite different.

• Advertisement

I thought his last two tours with the Dukes/Mastersons were excellent so this solo gig will be quite different.

I love when he goes solo. Really hope a Cork gig gets the go ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How long has the NCH gig been on sale? Not even half the tickets are sold yet.

How long has the NCH gig been on sale? Not even half the tickets are sold yet.

I don't think it was too long ago. I only got the email from his website last week so it must have only been announced around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

anyone at the olympia last night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, great show. But it always is with him, whether he's on his own or with the band. Great set, over 2 hours long too.

However I did cringe a bit when he told that story about the Belfast truckers at the bar back in the '80s as last night was the seventh time I've seen him and that was at least the 4th time he's told us that.

I really love the Masterson too and their two albums are superb. I hope they sold a few last night and got a few sign ups and we might get a standalone gig from them here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, we went to see him last night. We saw him in the Olympia in 2003 and he seemed to be in a foul humor back then, was in much better form last night. Really enjoyed the support act too, they then went on the play the main set with the Dukes.

SteM wrote: »
    YReally enjoyed the support act too, they then went on the play the main set with the Dukes.

They've been part of the Dukes for a few years now. The last time they were here and playing support there had Kelly and Will playing with them too so were a full band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭SteM

They've been part of the Dukes for a few years now. The last time they were here and playing support there had Kelly and Will playing with them too so were a full band.

I haven't seen him play in years so I didn't know. They were very good, must give their album a listen later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Great artist , fantastic acting in the wire, but he is never to be forgiven for inflicting galway girl on the population of galway. It gets trotted out at every wedding, social occasion down west - painful.

Advertisement