Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Conversion

• 16-07-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys, moved over here from Liverpool a year or so ago and just after some advice really. I'm looking to buy a VW T5 commercial and convert it into a camper + use it as my daily driver.

I just wondered if there were any problems that i may come across when doing this - I.e. with owning a commercial, taxing it, getting the van changed over to a camper on the log book and insuring it etc?

I've had no problems doing this on numerous occasions in the uk but I'm not too sure of the legalities over here. It would be a lot of work + money if I were to finish up with something that wasn't legal!

Any help + advice on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Have a gander through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056060300 and also at its parent forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,325 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think you get it registered as a camper can and then pay only €88 a year. They examine it to see that it falls in to the criteria, as far as I know it must have a sink, cooking facilities and a bed, not sure if there are any other requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Isn't there a claus somewhere, possibly with insurance, that a camper cannot be your sole/main vehicle?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes, you cannot insure a campervan and use it as a daily driver. it stipulates in the policy that it is for occasional use only.

Read through this thread as well as the one above and see what questions you have. There can be a lot to it, but it depends on what point you're at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 munk

Thanks for all the replies guys. Surely there must be some way to insure it as your sole vehicle? It sounds like madness to only be allowed to drive a vehicle occasionally. Negotiable limited mileage could be a possibility I guess?

Concessions are granted for cheaper motorhome insurance on the basis that its occasional use only, hence the fixed price and the stipulation. I'm sure you could always consider regular private insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

AFAIK you'll be liable to pay VRT on any Vehicle thats converted from a Commercial.
    Any Campervan or Conversion is liable to VRT if the G.V.W is less than 3.5 Tonne.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Concessions are granted for cheaper motorhome insurance on the basis that its occasional use only, hence the fixed price and the stipulation. I'm sure you could always consider regular private insurance.

Cheaper ?, the insurance on my camper is higher than on my car yet the value of the camper is less than half that of my car!!:mad:

Once you mention the fact that it's a campervan the regular insurance people don't want to know in my experience.:mad:
    If anyone knows of a regular company that does insure campers please let me know.

Just started a new thread for the above line.

manta356 wrote: »
    AFAIK you'll be liable to pay VRT on any Vehicle thats converted from a Commercial.
    Any Campervan or Conversion is liable to VRT if the G.V.W is less than 3.5 Tonne.:(

Any campervan or conversion is liable to vrt of 13.5% of the OMSP regardless of the GVW of the vehicle

• Advertisement
Advertisement