Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of your housemates?

• 16-07-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I'm moving in with three new people in a house share for college in September. I was very unlucky last year. One locked herself in her room 24/7 and the other used to steal everyone's food. The other two were grand! :p
    I know people who have made lifelong friends with housemates and other who detest theirs. What have your experiences been and what do you think of your current housemates? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

*sweeps the freshly laid patio*

What housemates? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Got my own gaff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

*sweeps the freshly laid patio*

What housemates? :pac:

do ya need anymore chloroform this year..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

mattjack wrote: »
    do ya need anymore chloroform this year..?

No no, I'm good thanks.
    Any lime on ya tho?

No no, I'm good thanks.
    Any lime on ya tho?

yeah..I,ll throw in some rohypnol too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Kinda annoys me when housemates expect I should be best friends with them and then act like i'm weird cos I don't like the same things as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

How could having a housemate that locked herself into her room 24/7 be a bad thing?

I used to rent out rooms. I hated it in principle, though most of the tenants were grand. A couple of them were a right pain in the ar&e though.

Now I live by my cranky unsociable self, AND I LOVE IT. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I live alone but I was never good at sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Grand apart from the new lad who moved in. I'm at home studying for the summer..he works 9-6 but every night he's just ploughed in front of the television and all weekend too.
    I mean today he got up at 9.30 and watched sky sports news, tour de France, the open for about 7 hours, Meath v Kildare and is now watching boxing and darts while he munches the snackbox which has just been delivered...hygiene is awful too he wears the same tshirt and trousers every day!! Tomorrow will be a repeat of today no doubt!!

Gets very annoying when taking study breaks and all you want to do is watch 20 mins of tv when eating lunch/dinner etc!!

How could having a housemate that locked herself into her room 24/7 be a bad thing?

They are the best type of housemate imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

When in college sometimes I was very good friends with housemates, other times we were not that close, but always pleasant. I was always glad I didn't live with people on my course, not because I disliked them but purely because I couldn't handle that much of one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I've only ever lived with people I knew previously so it was all good.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sick to death of mine, lived with him now for 2 years. it's ok during the college year when it's four us but there's only 2 of us for the summer. He smokes in the house, which I don't like but tolerate, but he's probably the most ignorant smoker I've met, I've met very few smokers who don't have the common courtesy not to light up in the room if their non-smoking housemates are eating or cooking, but he has to be told everytime. If he listens to music it has to be so loud it interferes with everyone else in the house, he bitches constantly about his life and how much he dislikes just about everyone he knows, he's rude and disrespectful, if no-one is around he's depressed and grumpy, if people are around he tries to be funny by ripping the piss out of people but is not funny, if any playful banter is directed at him he sulks. He also needs/seeks attention like some depraved child, he will walk into the room start making loud gagging noises and pretend to perform oral sex on an invisble knob, or pretend to perform anal sex with an invisible woman while making disparaging remarks about women. I could go on more. I dislike him immensely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

daddydick wrote: »
    Grand apart from the new lad who moved in. I'm at home studying for the summer..he works 9-6 but every night he's just ploughed in front of the television and all weekend too.
    I mean today he got up at 9.30 and watched sky sports news, tour de France, the open for about 7 hours, Meath v Kildare and is now watching boxing and darts while he munches the snackbox which has just been delivered...hygiene is awful too he wears the same tshirt and trousers every day!! Tomorrow will be a repeat of today no doubt!!

Gets very annoying when taking study breaks and all you want to do is watch 20 mins of tv when eating lunch/dinner etc!!

grow a pair ffs, point out that he has been watching tv for hours and you just want 20 min to chill :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sick to death of mine, lived with him now for 2 years. it's ok during the college year when it's four us but there's only 2 of us for the summer. He smokes in the house, which I don't like but tolerate, but he's probably the most ignorant smoker I've met, I've met very few smokers who don't have the common courtesy not to light up in the room if their non-smoking housemates are eating or cooking, but he has to be told everytime. If he listens to music it has to be so loud it interferes with everyone else in the house, he bitches constantly about his life and how much he dislikes just about everyone he knows, he's rude and disrespectful, if no-one is around he's depressed and grumpy, if people are around he tries to be funny by ripping the piss out of people but is not funny, if any playful banter is directed at him he sulks. He also needs/seeks attention like some depraved child, he will walk into the room start making loud gagging noises and pretend to perform oral sex on an invisble knob, or pretend to perform anal sex with an invisible woman while making disparaging remarks about women. I could go on more. I dislike him immensely.

Suddenly feeling grateful about the housemate who stayed in the room and never spoke to us :D

or pretend to perform anal sex with an invisible woman

how can you tell its anal :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sibylla wrote: »
    Suddenly feeling grateful about the housemate who stayed in the room and never spoke to us :D

We had one of those, she was a lovely girl but just kept to herself a lot, the asshole housemate complained that she was a weirdo for not hanging out with us more, all I used to think to myself was I wish he was more like her. The perfect housemates are ones you don't see that often :P (or the ones you get on brilliantly with of course)
    Saila wrote: »
    how can you tell its anal :confused:

Pardon, sometimes he specifies through the disparaging remarks that accompany it, othertimes it might not be anal just plain old doggystyle(I can tell from the trajectory of the spanking motions that it's always from behind).

grow a pair ffs, point out that he has been watching tv for hours and you just want 20 min to chill :confused:

It's not as easy as 'growing a pair'...every time I go down for a glass of water or whatever he gets the 'your still there pat?!'...answered by either silence or 'whaaa'

You're still wearing that same tshirt pat....again silence or 'whaaaa'

So eventually he gets up to do a big sh1t and someone nips in....he arrives back and gives the standard 'I was watching tennis there'....obviously he gets shortchanged and told where to go. So he sits down next to you and within 2 minutes will have uttered the phrase 'put on the tennis there this is sh1t'

At that stage I just leave as there is no enjoyment and he is back in his throne delighted with himself cos he's a selfish, selfish person!!

It's not as easy as 'growing a pair'...every time I go down for a glass of water or whatever he gets the 'your still there pat?!'...answered by either silence or 'whaaa'

So eventually he gets up to do a big sh1t and someone nips in....he arrives back and gives the standard 'I was watching tennis there'....obviously he gets shortchanged and told where to go. So he sits down next to you and within 2 minutes will have uttered the phrase 'put on the tennis there this is sh1t'

At that stage I just leave as there is no enjoyment and he is back in his throne delighted with himself cos he's a selfish, selfish person!!

shovel,patio and lime

Who owns the TV? If it's yours put it in your room stat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've generally had good luck, and still keep in touch with some of my past housemates, but I've had a few living situations which were doozies.

Once past housemate used to start cooking and then would fall asleep in the middle of the process. One time I came home, and her ice cream had melted all over the counter. Another time I came home and the whole house smelled like burned sugar - she fell asleep cooking tapioca and almost set the kitchen on fire.

Another time I shared a house with two randomers (it was a temporary situation) who were perhaps the cheapest, dirtiest bastards I've ever met. When I moved in, the kitchen and bathroom had apparently not been cleaned for weeks; one of them showered at work and the other one didn't care that the shower was brown and covered in scum and hair. The couch was leather and I originally thought it was brown until I wiped it one day and realized that it was actually ivory (I never sat on it again). They also refused to turn the gas heat on because we were responsible for paying it. One tried to be slick and bought an electric heater for his room (the landlady paid the electric bill)...that is until she got the first bill, and confiscated his heater. Eventually she put her foot down and made them kick in for heat because she was afraid the pipes would burst from the cold.

Perhaps the worst case though was when a girl moved into a different shared house. She was really nice, but her boyfriend was a nightmare, and they used to fight all of the time. Apparently one night it got physical, the cops were called etc...of course she swore she would never let him back into the house again, and ended up sneaking him in and out for another month before they broke up for good. I was SO glad to move out of that house. :(

Who owns the TV? If it's yours put it in your room stat.

It's actually nine but I watch so little of it I don't really want it in my room

Plus there are 4 other here who use it too sometimes so don't want to punish them.

Very frustrating to see him thrown onto the couch watching some meaningless hockey match from 1989 instead of being out enjoying the summer!!

It's actually nine but I watch so little of it I don't really want it in my room

Plus there are 4 other here who use it too sometimes so don't want to punish them.

Very frustrating to see him thrown onto the couch watching some meaningless hockey match from 1989 instead of being out enjoying the summer!!

Does he contribute towards tv license or the fee for sky? Tell him it's your tv and you want to watch it, if he doesn't like what you're watching for the 20 minutes or so you want to watch it tell him to leave the room while it's on if it's such a problem. I can't stand feckers like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 passion

*twitch twitch* mothers great. She's really nice.*twitch* you won't hear or see her much *twitch+evil grin* she'll never leave me *twitch twitch* you wanna move in??? oh and don't mind the birds:D *twitch*

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

When I was in college 2 girls I lived with told people at college that I was always bringing boys home with me and called me Galway's bicycle.

Funny cos I was a virgin and I only kissed 1 guy the whole time we lived together.

Also one of the girls used to leave all her dirty clothes on the floor in her room and leave her door open so the smell when I walked in the house was pretty dreadful.

like I said grow pair

say no, how hard is that? and mean it, dont make it sound like a question!
    I can guarantee you if I was you I would be getting to watch my tiny bit of tv if he gets it the rest of the time, spell that out to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Got my own gaff :)

Aren't we the fancy bollocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Everyone I live with I've known for years, biggest legends you could meet:)

There was one girl who was there for a while who stunk of stale sweat was extermely passive aggressive as a rule and went through my buddies PMs on FB when he went to the jacks once. She is gone about a month and a half and you can still get the whiff in her old bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

like I said grow pair

I can guarantee you if I was you I would be getting to watch my tiny bit of tv if he gets it the rest of the time, spell that out to him
    In all fairness, it is much easier said than done to do something, especially when you have to live with the person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

You might win on the TV front, but it sounds like the real irritation is the guys continuous presence. I don't know how you could go about telling somebody who is paying rent that they have to leave from time to time without sounding completely out of order, no matter how irritating they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

moved house 5 times in 6 years. moved in with strangers every time (had no choice). i think people should be friendly but at the same time keep their distance for maybe the first 6/7 months. you could see what way the flow of the house is and how they interact with eachother, how often mates call to house etc. iv learned this over time and now i think im settled in this house and can call the housemates my friends at this stage. there are 2 tv rooms also, so theres never a row over tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

orourkeda wrote: »
    Aren't we the fancy bollocks?

Well I'm definitely a bollox but not fancy as it's free :D

You might win on the TV front, but it sounds like the real irritation is the guys continuous presence. I don't know how you could go about telling somebody who is paying rent that they have to leave from time to time without sounding completely out of order, no matter how irritating they are.

Exactly my point! I would just love it if he was to go off and meet friends or go to a match or something instead of being thrown on the couch 24/7...I actually don't mind not watching the television as I hardly ever watch it so there is no point getting a second one for the house. Continuous presence is the killer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I used to live with a Polish guy who would steer virtually every conversation we had to the subject of communism.

Me: 'Hey man, how was your day?'
    Polish guy: *depressed voice* '****ing bureaucrats at work remind me of back in Poland in 80s' (The guy was 24 when I was living with him, so he would have been about 3 under the communist regime in Poland)

He was also messy, loud and frankly a bit dull. And a communist.

like I said grow pair

Really not worth the hassle! I just leave him at it but each time I see him I die a little inside...every weekend wasted watching crap on the telly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Why are you still living with this guy? Surely the whole point of renting is that you have the option of moving out when you want to. Life's too short to be dealing with idiots like yer man

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Exactly my point! I would just love it if he was to go off and meet friends or go to a match or something instead of being thrown on the couch 24/7...I actually don't mind not watching the television as I hardly ever watch it so there is no point getting a second one for the house. Continuous presence is the killer!!

he mightened have any mates. seriously. a guy i know moved to dublin 2 years ago, job is full of old foggies and doesnt know anyone else up there. think thats what he does every evening too. comes home every second weekend then. hes lonely.

Why are you still living with this guy? Surely the whole point of renting is that you have the option of moving out when you want to. Life's too short to be dealing with idiots like yer man

Yea I know, but the landlord's been really good to me and it's really close to the college, I have options in september to move in with some mates but it would mean having to be driving distance from the college. We'll see, I might stick it out for another year and then GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I lived with a couple from December to March of this year. They were always either rowing or shagging.

One night, while watching telly, he got up and went to his room. She followed him. He tried to kill her. Had to go in and break the fight up.

So, he flees the house but comes back two hours later and tries to set the house on fire while we were inside.

I win.

TL;DR: housemate tried to kill his gf, and then tried to kill us all by burning the house down.

he mightened have any mates. seriously. a guy i know moved to dublin 2 years ago, job is full of old foggies and doesnt know anyone else up there. think thats what he does every evening too. comes home every second weekend then. hes lonely.

I know this happens but I have met this guys mates a few times and they seem bang on, he's a randomer so didnt really know what to expect when he moved in but seriously, if you don't want to meet up with you mates go to the gym, go for a walk, climb a mountain, go for a swim etc etc do something in the great outdoors while you still have youth on your side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

And a communist.

Better dead than red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    I lived with a couple from December to March of this year. They were always either rowing or shagging.

One night, while watching telly, he got up and went to his room. She followed him. He tried to kill her. Had to go in and break the fight up.

So, he flees the house but comes back two hours later and tries to set the house on fire while we were inside.

I win.

TL;DR: housemate tried to kill his gf, and then tried to kill us all by burning the house down.

:eek::eek::eek:

Jesus, I though my ex-housemate's BF was bad! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Yea I know, but the landlord's been really good to me and it's really close to the college, I have options in september to move in with some mates but it would mean having to be driving distance from the college. We'll see, I might stick it out for another year and then GTFO.

I understand. In college I was living with an idiot as well. Always used to play rubbish loud dance music, (often after coming home drunk at 3am), used to bring his skanger friends up from the hometown and they'd take over the entire house for the weekend and used to come out with some real creepy racist horsesh1t as well. Had the option of moving out early but didn't bother, only had a few months left in the term. Sometimes it's easier to put up with them and completely cut your ties afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have five housmates, one steal alot of toilet paper, tea bags, razors, biscuits, butter bread, and bring home a load of washing every week, he lives in a flat, one rants on about nothing being right, another, take over the remote control of telly, another dont know where the sink is, cups every where, another just does not give a ****e, they all know how to have a good time, god help me they are my family

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Aw man, I'm in a houseshare and I have amazing housemates who are life long friends. And then he moved in. Jesus. Fcuking. Christ.

Abnormaly lazy!!!! Never cleans up after himself. Works from home and when i come home from work he's sittin in the same place as when I left!!! Goes and buys cakes from the 24 hour shop about at about 2am and leaves his mess around the sittin room. NEVER have i seen him pick up a dish let alone wash one.

He once left his weekend bag in the sitting area after coming back from home for a weekend. The next day his nag was stil there but his clothes were all around the room?! I fooked them at his bedroom door in the end.

Fcukin hell, I'm gettin angry just thinking about it :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

:eek::eek::eek:

Jesus, I though my ex-housemate's BF was bad! :eek:

Yep. He wasn't even technically my housemate 'cause he paid no rent. Landlord knew he was there and all. She wasn't chuffed when the gardai rocked up investigating claims of assault and attempted murder.

Housemate tried to move him back in a month later when she found out she was preggers.

It was a crazy few months. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I like my housemates, I knew them all before I moved in with them.

Although we did have hippies living with us for a month and they were a pain in the ass. They would stay in their bedroom and just sing songs and play guitar the whole time. They had to be told to stop playing very early one morning, it just got out of hand. There is still a smell coming from the room they stayed in and they have been gone a month, it has even been cleaned out.

One of the days they took my housemates bike without asking to take it, they never cleaned up after cooking often taking over 3 pots with leftover food that they never bothered to eat, there was some words over that let me tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sibylla wrote: »
    I'm moving in with three new people in a house share for college in September. I was very unlucky last year. One locked herself in her room 24/7 and the other used to steal everyone's food. The other two were grand! :p
    I know people who have made lifelong friends with housemates and other who detest theirs. What have your experiences been and what do you think of your current housemates? Thanks

Ideal housemate, to be honest :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've had housemates before and I fucking hated it. Live alone now so it's all good.

It isn't that I hated the people - one was a good friend of mine - but I likes my space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Dont get along with my housemates. One behaves like a 5 year old, 2 are grumpy mother fúcks who I cant spend more than 5 seconds with, the other one is ok...ish'. I've been lookin to move out on and off every since I moved in. Its gotten to the point where I just dont give shít about what they say or do. If I see them I just say hello and allow the silence to engulf us. If anyone is looking for someone to move in with them in the dublin area they're laid back and sound holla back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement