Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of your housemates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Novella wrote: »
    I've had housemates before and I fucking hated it. Live alone now so it's all good.

It isn't that I hated the people - one was a good friend of mine - but I likes my space!
    If I could afford to I'd live alone for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I dont really get on with mine.
    One acts like a baby and is crying all the time, sometimes I even have to change him.
    One keeps ordering me around the whole, like you'd swear she was my mother.
    There's another guy that lives with us. We got on pretty well. He's been like a father to me for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I had a housemate who had such aggressive sex that she had to push her bed away from the wall so that the headboard wouldn't bang violently and wake everyone up.

But overall, a nice girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

daddydick wrote: »
    Really not worth the hassle! I just leave him at it but each time I see him I die a little inside...every weekend wasted watching crap on the telly!

I'd feel sorry for the guy to be honest, leave him with the only thing he has if you're not bothered about the tele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Laisurg wrote: »
    I'd feel sorry for the guy to be honest, leave him with the only thing he has if you're not bothered about the tele.

Make him watch Yes Man or at least this scene from it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Where to start?

First year of college - 3 housemates.
    Girl 1 - ended up being my best friend. I loved her dearly. The best craic ever.

Girl 2 - bit of an eejit but we got on alright. We went out together, drove around together, went to the local together, ect. She moved out at Christmas so, enter ...

Girl 3. Or should I say "woman".
    To say this woman was bizarre would be a total understatement. She was about 50. Living with two students. Raging alcoholic. Would polish thru a bottle of wine and half a bottle of whiskey per night. The first night she stayed she was violently ill, after drinking an entire bottle of whiskey she brought home from duty free. Sick in her room, sick in the hall. Sick in the bathroom.
    Proceeded to clean up the bathroom vomit using her knickers. And left the vomitty knickers on the bathroom floor.

Used to tell me she loved me, called me little angel, barged into my room on Saturdays to tell me it was 12/1/2 pm and time to get up.

Used to demand to know where we were going and when we would be back.

I was in bed one evening and woke up to hysterical roaring. Stuck to the bed in fear someone broke in, I hear gems such as "Ill get the FBI after you - you c**t", "I'll sow your bits together" "JP Mc Manus pays no bills in this residence", and kept referring to herself as "denis hogans grandaughter" -- "nobody speaks to denis hogans grandaughter like this".

This went on for over twenty minutes. Petrified - I called my other housemate and she came straight home, where crazypants acted completely normal.

The same type of phonecall woke housemate couple mornings after, at like 6am.

One morning, about 5, housemate got up to go to work. Went downstairs and there she was, sitting in the dark, rambling on to herself about taking a "swing of golf".

Another night I drove back from home, getting to the house at 2 am or so, pitch black. Leave my bag down - open the door and nearly dropped dead from fright. She was standing in the dark, drunk, right in front of the door when I opened it, staring straight at me.

I ended up so frightened of her that I wouldn't stay in the house by myself. If my housemate went soccer training, I went with her.

Eventually the landlord kicked her out - but the months she was there were unbearable. I have more horrid housemates but I think she's right up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I CANT STAND THEM

I live with my family :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Where to start?

First year of college - 3 housemates.
    Girl 1 - ended up being my best friend. I loved her dearly. The best craic ever.

Girl 2 - bit of an eejit but we got on alright. We went out together, drove around together, went to the local together, ect. She moved out at Christmas so, enter ...

Girl 3. Or should I say "woman".
    To say this woman was bizarre would be a total understatement. She was about 50. Living with two students. Raging alcoholic. Would polish thru a bottle of wine and half a bottle of whiskey per night. The first night she stayed she was violently ill, after drinking an entire bottle of whiskey she brought home from duty free. Sick in her room, sick in the hall. Sick in the bathroom.
    Proceeded to clean up the bathroom vomit using her knickers. And left the vomitty knickers on the bathroom floor.

Used to tell me she loved me, called me little angel, barged into my room on Saturdays to tell me it was 12/1/2 pm and time to get up.

Used to demand to know where we were going and when we would be back.

I was in bed one evening and woke up to hysterical roaring. Stuck to the bed in fear someone broke in, I hear gems such as "Ill get the FBI after you - you c**t", "I'll sow your bits together" "JP Mc Manus pays no bills in this residence", and kept referring to herself as "denis hogans grandaughter" -- "nobody speaks to denis hogans grandaughter like this".

This went on for over twenty minutes. Petrified - I called my other housemate and she came straight home, where crazypants acted completely normal.

The same type of phonecall woke housemate couple mornings after, at like 6am.

One morning, about 5, housemate got up to go to work. Went downstairs and there she was, sitting in the dark, rambling on to herself about taking a "swing of golf".

Another night I drove back from home, getting to the house at 2 am or so, pitch black. Leave my bag down - open the door and nearly dropped dead from fright. She was standing in the dark, drunk, right in front of the door when I opened it, staring straight at me.

I ended up so frightened of her that I wouldn't stay in the house by myself. If my housemate went soccer training, I went with her.

Eventually the landlord kicked her out - but the months she was there were unbearable. I have more horrid housemates but I think she's right up there

Who do you think you are giving out about Denis Hogans granddaughter on the internets. No one talks like that about Denis Hogans granddaughter.

Why I oughta *shakes fist and swigs whiskey*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

guitarzero wrote: »
    Dont get along with my housemates. One behaves like a 5 year old, 2 are grumpy mother fúcks who I cant spend more than 5 seconds with, the other one is ok...ish'. I've been lookin to move out on and off every since I moved in. Its gotten to the point where I just dont give shít about what they say or do. If I see them I just say hello and allow the silence to engulf us. If anyone is looking for someone to move in with them in the dublin area they're laid back and sound holla back.

mine are similar....as I type two of them are punching each other around the house,the other has gone to work in a huff...the two are fighting over a "transformer figure"..granted they are brothers and the other one is my wife...

• Advertisement

• Mostly good experiences. Had a really selfish flatmate from Northern Ireland in college who saw nothing wrong with coming in with all her mates at 5am, pissed, and putting music on full blast when the rest of us had college at 9am the next day. She used to smoke in the flat and use our cups and bowls as ashtrays, never took out the bin or did any kind of cleaning. I thought she was nice enough at first but her selfish behaviour ended up driving me round the bend and we fought for a whole year.

Lived with a total nutjob in Belgium who seemed to just resent me living there. I disliked her so much that I just stayed in my room almost all the time, but she huffed and puffed if I wanted to do anything in the flat, like wash my clothes or watch TV. She made me feel like I was in her way all the time. Once she complained that I put the bathroom light on at about midnight (when I got in) to brush my teeth because the light shone into her room. She actually suggested that I brushed my teeth in the dark. She also used to put the keys in the lock at night and lock me out, then complain when I rang the doorbell to get back in and she had to get up. Total fcking nutcase. She was black and had some major issues with that and she resented me for being white. I wasn't allowed to complain about anything because I should have felt lucky that I was white. Anything I had, she had worse. Once I put something on Facebook about having a bad day and being exhausted (I have a chronic illness and most of my friends know that) and she wrote a really bitchy comment on it. Yet when she had a cold, it was the end of the world. I really hope she's having a miserable life and living with someone as rude and nasty as she is, the horrible bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Think I may have this one covered:D Not so funny then:eek:

Age 21, moved to Edinburgh and initially stayed in the YWCA (you wanna meet some of the residents there!!) to give me an opportunity to find a des res.......Success, a huge City Centre 1st floor apartment, an entrance hall like a dancefloor, 5 minutes from work, gorgeous listed building, apartment huge and fabulously kitted out:D £120 a month including all bills:D Wohoo!! Staying at the Y was a great motivator!!

Now the owner of the apartment (owned his own Carroll's like shop, touristy stuff) lived there and had annexed the sitting room and a room off it as his apartment:cool: Willie, in another room, age 40ish divorcee (nothing in common with him then but no worries) and a Canadian couple......two weeks later Canadians move out and 2 Malaysian students moved in. Now this brought its own issues as any time the accessed the loo they went in with a bowl of warm water in hand............no more food in a bowl for me!!:eek:

Fast forward one month and 40 something knocks on my door and says, I am leaving and I suggest you do the same!!! No explanation and off he went.........now, as I worked in hotels and did shifts, I was not there a lot, and things continued on.......the vacant room was taken over by two guys and I presumed Willie was a bit old fashioned and did not like sharing with younger people and as I was the only female he felt some sense of 'fatherly' concern for me but I was happy out;)

A few weeks passed and I went off for a weekend to attend a wedding with my then squeeze, fated to end in an argument on the Saturday night when he got horrendously drunk and spent it flirting with every female at the Wedding (the Bride was lucky to get away from him!:eek:). Another friend realised I was a bit stuck as the Hotel was full and as they were heading back to the Burgh offered me a lift...sweet relief..or so I thought:D

One hour and twenty minutes later, I arrived home to a party at my gaff...Heard the music on the way up the stairs and was quite pleased...not a wasted weekend after all;) The door opened and I was confronted by about 40 Transvestites "Shaking that thing!!" Not quite believing what I was seeing....I went lookin for my flatmates and there they were....Marcus(Malaysian) in shocking pink coat dress that I had bought a week earlier, Daniel (Malay)?? A pencil skirt and silk shirt with high heels (my office attire!!).......the other couple had selected 2 outfits of mine that caught their eye and to top it all off there was my landlord on the sofa wearing a badly fitting bridesmaids frock I kept meaning to give to Oxfam!! Now being the hip and with it chick I was (you had to live in Edinburgh in the 80's to understand;)) I had a drink, tried my damndest not to let them see just how taken aback I was and went to bed thinking I would address the invasion of my privacy and the wearing of my clothing in the morning.........they were all pissed so it was hardly the time........changed my mind when I went to my room!!! Clothes everywhere and horror of horrors...it was immediately apparent that they were wearing my undies:eek: Bra's, basques, knickers,stockings & suspenders:eek: Party was over in about 3 minutes!! Long story short, The landlord paid to replace my clothes, underwear, a hotel for a month and helped me find a comparable apartment .............. just so I wouldn't tell his girlfriend!!! And to think on another thread I am thought of as a PC Nazi!! If only they knew...and, I went to the landlords wedding 2 years later!! Well we were good mates and I had let him keep the dress ;-)

Wonder how things are going with my daughter and her flatmates...better I don't know:P:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

My flatmate is such a lazy ****er.Doesn't work watches tv all day and doesnt do anything else.Does not clean after himself and leaves the place in a total mess.Rarely has a shower or changes his clothes which are covered in knodge marks.Thinking of evicting him as im on the lease and he isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

i'm not really sure bout mine. One is always moaning and the other pis5is on the floor! I live with my fiance and my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

mattjack wrote: »
    shovel,patio and lime

Take this guys advice. I made an amateur slip up by going for some raised decking. Didn't quite do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

Hey i just found this thread and it seems interesting... i will hopefully be going to college in september if i get my place and offer and all. Anyway i have a deposit put down on a house that is about five minswalk from college. Only thing is the fella renting wont rent out to first years causehe thinks they arem't mature enough.. To make a long storyshort he said because i was a sensible youth( had rang him in february about the accommodation) he would rent it to me.. So i'll be sharing with four other people.. I have no idea who they are habits where there fro nothing... Also they will be second/third years... Anybody thik this is a bad idea to move in with second/third years? I would appreciate some feedback...
    Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

begsy wrote: »
    Hey i just found this thread and it seems interesting... i will hopefully be going to college in september if i get my place and offer and all. Anyway i have a deposit put down on a house that is about five minswalk from college. Only thing is the fella renting wont rent out to first years causehe thinks they arem't mature enough.. To make a long storyshort he said because i was a sensible youth( had rang him in february about the accommodation) he would rent it to me.. So i'll be sharing with four other people.. I have no idea who they are habits where there fro nothing... Also they will be second/third years... Anybody thik this is a bad idea to move in with second/third years? I would appreciate some feedback...
    Cheers:)

In my experience, about half of flatmates are complete cúnts, no matter how nice they seem at first. The other half are grand.

That means you're about one in sixteen to get along well with everyone in there. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Well my flatmate is a girl who keeps walking around in her undies to try and seduce me

My sister :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Well my flatmate is a girl who keeps walking around in her undies to try and seduce me

My sister :(

Why doesn't my sister do that?:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Lived with a guy who was nice but a total stoner – a bit like the Brad Pitt character in ‘True Romance’. He would go to bed and leave the living room windows wide open (we lived on the ground floor). He’d leave lighted candles burning all night. He’d start cooking dinner for himself and forget about it half-way through. You’d arrive home after work and he’d be sitting in a pall of smoke completely oblivious that the apartment was nearly on fire.
    He was a sound enough guy but I was glad to move out after a year counting myself lucky we hadn’t been burgled or burned to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

My flatmates are pretty cool and for some reason i always end up in a house share with two gals, no complaints :D...until my brother comes over to see the new place and within two weeks will have tried to seduce one of them and if successful procede to ignore them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

sharing with 4 people? :eek: i'd never do that again anyway.

my housemate fancies me, i'm sure of it :cool: but other than that, he's a bit of an eejit. well a fair bit of an eejit really. has the tv loud all the time, leaves the place in a mess, and has some crazy notion that he's clean. but he doesn't really have people over, and pays the bills, and isn't really really loud so it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I've had lots of brilliant housemates, usually friends before they moved in BUT there's been a couple of doozies in the bunch. One guy that would lecture you about being clean and then proceed to trash the entire house with HIS mates and leave it for you to clean. His excuse "I didn't make that mess, it was a party", okeydokey.

Then the real housemate from hell; Ms PassiveAgressive, she'd insult you to your face and then say she was "joking". Never paid for anything, ever, her stupid bf paid for her rent, bills, food,weed, busfare etc, needless to say she treated him like absolute crap. She was also the laziest bitch I'd ever met. She once stayed on the couch with duvet for 3 full days and nights (this is in a shared sittingroom btw). She'd leave a big bag of her crap in the hall. Her shoes, belts etc etc were everywhere. She was the last housemate I had because me and my bf had to leave before I killed her and we got our own place. I came this close <---> to killing her. I'm not a violent person but if there's one person in the world that I could attack and not get caught it would be her. Honestly the thoughts of punching her face into the back of her head makes me feel all happy. Honestly though, I'm really not a violent person . . . . usually:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I much prefer the ones that I was living with when I first moved down to galway last September.We mostly used to chill out, watch tv shows and head out together.Then,one by one they started to move out due to findings jobs else,going travelling etc.Now only one of them remains.The others that have moved in mostly stick to themselves,which is fair enough I guess.However,it's nice to hang out with the people you live with rather than seeing them once a day and just saying "hi".
    If things stay the same I'll most likely move out after my master's and look for somewhere with more social housemates. After all, if I wanted to live on my own I rent a one bedroom flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My housemates are pretty cool. I live with one of my best mates, his gf I intorduced him to and his sister. As soon as he goes out myself, his gf and his sexy sister all have the craziest, kinkiest sexy threesomes on his side of the bed. It's pretty fun.

Oh, and he's a boardsie too. Hi buddy 0/.

Fremen wrote: »
    In my experience, about half of flatmates are complete cúnts, no matter how nice they seem at first. The other half are grand.

That means you're about one in sixteen to get along well with everyone in there. Good luck with that.

Hey ha i know it's not easy to get alog with everyone but i was wondering is it a bad idea to move in with people who will be oing into second or third year? Or does it really matter?? Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea, but I think there could be advantages to living with other first years - you'll get to know them and their friends which is a good way to build a social circle in first year. You'll find first years are much more open to making friends than people in other years who already have little groups of friends, because first years are all in the same boat - they don't know anybody.

If you do decide to live with people in older years, you will need to be sensitive to the atmosphere/vibe (whatever you want to call it) in the house. If they are, for example, all in years that count towards their degrees, they may be a bit more serious than first years and may not appreciate you bringing any first year antics home with you. I don't want to make it sound like everyone becomes super-serious the minute they finish first year, but there is a difference in attitude, I think.

I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea, but I think there could be advantages to living with other first years - you'll get to know them and their friends which is a good way to build a social circle in first year. You'll find first years are much more open to making friends than people in other years who already have little groups of friends, because first years are all in the same boat - they don't know anybody.

If you do decide to live with people in older years, you will need to be sensitive to the atmosphere/vibe (whatever you want to call it) in the house. If they are, for example, all in years that count towards their degrees, they may be a bit more serious than first years and may not appreciate you bringing any first year antics home with you. I don't want to make it sound like everyone becomes super-serious the minute they finish first year, but there is a difference in attitude, I think.

Well i have put a deposit on a house and the fella who is renting it won't rent to first years.. He decided to rent it to me because i rang him up in the begiining of february.. Now the main reason why i have put a deposit on this house is because it is aprox 3 mins from college which is fairly handy.. I know it might be difficult at the beginning especially if they all are a group of friends but i find i can get on relatively good with people who are older than me.. I don't plan on going absolutely off the rails in first year, I hope to join the football team and acting society.. I am relatively independant and i make the dinner at home most of the time.. I am really just looking forward to this new experience and hope to get on fine, with everyone.. Could it be possible? I know i dont have to be best friends completly with them but manners is always a good beginnning right? :)

Well i have put a deposit on a house and the fella who is renting it won't rent to first years.. He decided to rent it to me because i rang him up in the begiining of february.. Now the main reason why i have put a deposit on this house is because it is aprox 3 mins from college which is fairly handy.. I know it might be difficult at the beginning especially if they all are a group of friends but i find i can get on relatively good with people who are older than me.. I don't plan on going absolutely off the rails in first year, I hope to join the football team and acting society.. I am relatively independant and i make the dinner at home most of the time.. I am really just looking forward to this new experience and hope to get on fine, with everyone.. Could it be possible? I know i dont have to be best friends completly with them but manners is always a good beginnning right? :)

Oh yeah, it would probably be fine. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to frighten you. I'm sure they'll be very nice to you. What I was trying to get across is that some first years are extra eager to mix and have fun and just that you might have a better laugh with other first years. But I'm not saying for a second that you won't get on well with these other people. I have no reason to think you won't. I wouldn't particularly expect them to be a tight group that you have to "break-in to" especially if they're in different years. I'm sure once you've been in the house a few days and made a bit of an effort to chat to them, you'll fit straight in. I've moved in with people I didn't know several times. It's not a problem.

I suppose there are advantages, being 3 minutes from college will make life, including social life, very easy. Joining societies is a good idea.

Hey ha i know it's not easy to get alog with everyone but i was wondering is it a bad idea to move in with people who will be oing into second or third year? Or does it really matter?? Cheers :)

Feckin' terrible idea. You will get eaten alive. Eaten alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I live with 4 mates, so it's all good... well, 99% of the time. I havent murdered them either, so it's all good...

• Advertisement

No your fine you didn't frighten me it's just i'm getting mixed reviews about this whole thing. Some people say it's a very bad idea but others say it's good idea..? I'm quiet confused.. I am lookig forward to the prospect of college and stuff and i always make the effort to talk to people.. I work in a shop so i know that manners is essential to get along with people.. Pretty much the main reason i am moving in their is because of how close it is because i am eager to join society's, getting back to my old 9 year old self where i always played football is a goal of mine... (gave it up in secondary) thanks for your help.. I twill be an experience to say the least ..:)

Fremen wrote: »
    Feckin' terrible idea. You will get eaten alive. Eaten alive.

Aww stop... I wont will I?? :(

DazMarz wrote: »
    I live with 4 mates, so it's all good... well, 99% of the time. I havent murdered them either, so it's all good...

Ever lived with strangers??

You sound eager to mix so I think you'll be fine.

Good luck in college.

You sound eager to mix so I think you'll be fine.

Good luck in college.

Thanks a million.. Just wish results and offers would hurry up.. Thaanks for all your help.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I think the whole first year/second year divide is much less apparent in college (compared to secondary school). You'll find yourself socialising with people from all years and of all ages (mature students etc.) anyway, so I don't think it'd be an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

First year of college I was in with five other people and it was the most bizarre experience.

The first i met was an American named brandy, the loud all-american sort who no sooner had I moved in she was knocking on my door introducing herself and wanting to know everything about me. Rather intrusive I must say but I figured that was how housemates worked.

The 2nd guy whos room was opposite mine was best described as a troubled musician and the dude played his guitar ALL DAY LONG. like literally for hours on end.

"Johnno" was the "cool kid" of the house and there tended to be 7 or 8 of his friends in the house at any given times and regular calls to the door enquiring of said Johnno's whereabouts. There was regularly grafatti around the house with his name on it and he often held house parties late into the night.

Billy was Johnno's sidekick and had very little personality.

Ryan was a lad from Kerry who like me kept mostly to himself, stayed in the room down the hall from me and was clearly far better perpared for anti-socialism than I was since he brought his own TV, kettle and Mini Fridge to stick in his room.

Chloe was the last person in the house and a really bossy american who decided from day 1 she didn't like any of us. She never really spoke to any of us but often left notes on the front door, fridge and slid under our doors to scold us for leaving the front door open, bottles of piss in the bathroom or inquiring why a half eaten apple McPie had been in the hallway for 4 months. Unreasonable stuff like that.

You may notice that adds up to 7 and not 6. As it turns out Brandy actually never lived there and was somebody apparently nobody but I met. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think when you are moving in with strangers its always a big risk. My experience has been pretty crap. Firstly, without sounding a bit politically incorrect (already have:pac:), culture differences and their subtelties can come to the fore and its can get pretty damn tedious. Of course, Irish people can be worse but from my experience there have been certain trends of simple interactions to strong differences that become quite difficult to resolve due to these cultural differences.
    I was looking for a place about 4 months ago and had to check if there were Lithuanian or Polish men in the house before even taking interest in the house. I'm not saying they are ALL bad but I wouldnt risk it as its not worth it. But even with our own I've found them to be quite difficult at times for no reason other than them being a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sibylla wrote: »
    I'm moving in with three new people in a house share for college in September. I was very unlucky last year. One locked herself in her room 24/7 and the other used to steal everyone's food. The other two were grand! :p
    I know people who have made lifelong friends with housemates and other who detest theirs. What have your experiences been and what do you think of your current housemates? Thanks

that's not VERY unlucky.. one locking themselves in their room is a fking score!

the other one would have been so easy to poison.

Hell is other people..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jc002

I live in a bedsit-type complex. One guy down the corridor regularly "howls" like a werewolf after a night on the beer. Loud as he can, too. Said it to him once the next day, and he was like "Oh, you heard me? Yeah, I tend to do that".

He's an aul' lad, hopefully he'll pass on soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

jc002 wrote: »
    I live in a bedsit-type complex. One guy down the corridor regularly "howls" like a werewolf after a night on the beer. Loud as he can, too. Said it to him once the next day, and he was like "Oh, you heard me? Yeah, I tend to do that".

He's an aul' lad, hopefully he'll pass on soon.

Wargs... scum. Stay well away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

I moved in with three girls (I'm male) in October when I moved to Glasgow. one Spanish, one Chinese and one Irish. The Spanish girl was the stupidest person I have ever met. She thought she was the smartest person in the world and felt the need to verbalise every silly thought which entered her head in her horrendous accent. The Chinese girl had only one interest in life - sex. that is all she talked about, ever. One morning when I was living in the flat about two weeks, I was having my breakfast in the kitchen. She comes in (I barely know this girl, even if I did I still don't want to know) and says "I just get period, I can't have sex for week". She was also the single most disgusting person I have ever met - no understanding of basic hygiene. The Irish girl I'm still friends with. I moved out the end of January and even though my new flat burned down two weeks later and I lost everything I owned, I'm still glad I moved out.

Aww stop... I wont will I?? :(

Nah, I'm just messing. The only potential advantage to living with first years is that you'll all be in the same boat, not knowing anyone, which means you'll probably hang out with them more. That could be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you actually end up getting on well with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I moved in with three girls (I'm male) in October when I moved to Glasgow. one Spanish, one Chinese and one Irish. The Spanish girl was the stupidest person I have ever met. She thought she was the smartest person in the world and felt the need to verbalise every silly thought which entered her head in her horrendous accent. The Chinese girl had only one interest in life - sex. that is all she talked about, ever. One morning when I was living in the flat about two weeks, I was having my breakfast in the kitchen. She comes in (I barely know this girl, even if I did I still don't want to know) and says "I just get period, I can't have sex for week". She was also the single most disgusting person I have ever met - no understanding of basic hygiene. The Irish girl I'm still friends with. I moved out the end of January and even though my new flat burned down two weeks later and I lost everything I owned, I'm still glad I moved out.

sneak back into the house some night,strangle the Irish girl,leave a Spanish football jersey in the room along with a bowl of rice....disappear into the night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

daddydick wrote: »
    Very frustrating to see him thrown onto the couch watching some meaningless hockey match from 1989 instead of being out enjoying the summer!!

Woah there.

The issues with them hogging the TV are one thing but the fact that you see fit to comment on how he "should" be enjoying himself would strongly suggest that you might have some issues yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Assume there's tonnes of threads about housemates so said I wouldn't start a new one.

Do ye think it's ok for a couple to shower together in a communal bathroom in a rented house?

Only one half of the couple lives in the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Do ye think it's ok for a couple to shower together in a communal bathroom in a rented house?
    Of course. It saves water and energy, which is the only possible impact this could have upon other housemates .
    Only one half of the couple lives in the house.
    It's a little excessive to expect that a housemate cannot have a partner over occasionally, and that he or she would not share bathroom facilities from time to time; be a little flexible.

later10 wrote: »
    Of course. It saves water and energy, which is the only possible impact this could have upon other housemates .

Have another think about that there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Have another think about that there...
    Enlighten me?

Unless they are having sex in the shower, how on Earth does this affect you?

Well would you have any qualms about going in to have a shower directly after a couple have been in there for a while?

• Advertisement
Advertisement