Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of your housemates?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No, I've often done so.

Seriously, unless these people are having sex in public areas of the house, I don't see the big deal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

*sigh*

Never claimed it was a big deal, or that it affected me or that I even lived in the house.

Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

It's probably best you didn't start a new thread for that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It would make me uncomfortable anyway. it's not even about the thought of them having sex in the shower. but I can't quite figure out what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

its bad enough my housemates girlfriend uses the communal shower instead of his ensuite.....

I hate my housemate; the usual ****e of being lazy and not washing up etc, but he moved his gf in with us without asking any of us was it ok.... total spa

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I'm with later10 on this one. If they leave the bathroom in a tidy state then I don't really see the problem.

As for girlfriends/boyfriends who don't live there using the bathroom and other facilities- again, once they don't make a habit of it then I don't have a problem. I know a guy who rented a room to a chap who, whenever the place was empty, would invite his girlfriend around so she could do her washing & drying. The guy I know only found out about this when he came home sick from work one day. Apparently the girlfriend had been coming over for the previous 3 months. Needless to say, his lease wasn't renewed.

to follow on from earlier post about idiot housemate i'd like to kill; he left his patio door unlocked and some thug broke (or casually opened the unlocked door) and helped himself to some of his stuff, then came and asked me if i'd taken it.....

i really hate this guy's attitude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I haven't shared a house for well over 10 years They were all cunts.

stovelid wrote: »
    I haven't shared a house for well over 10 years They were all cunts.

Girlfriend's housemate decided to ignore their lease and move out back to tallaght.....her medical problem was very conveniently timed....

also she ran out on 3 months rent in galway before coming to limerick and has given up a decent job as she is just too feckless to pull her finger out and move on with life....AND she was claiming emergency dole while she was working....

never emptied her f*****g tampons out of the bathroom bin (imagine 4 months worth....we were wondering what the smell was...)

Never paid her share for bins as she was always broke......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

After 31 years of sharing with family, an ex and a whole array of housemates (most cool, some odd, some pain in the arses), I'm finally living alone and I bleedin' love it. Left an unwashed frying pan in the sink tonight and I won't wash it until the morning and I won't have to get into some petty argument about it in the morning with someone who gets all anal about such things. Feels feckin' fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I had a horrible extreme republican american, who was uber ignorant and as thick as a brick. He was really religious and went to mass twice a week had posters of the pope in his room and all ! ! He also had personality disorders and turned out to be a very closeted latent homosexual ! Most are though arent they !! He was a ****ed up guy! Thank god he is gone:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    After 31 years of sharing with family, an ex and a whole array of housemates (most cool, some odd, some pain in the arses), I'm finally living alone and I bleedin' love it. Left an unwashed frying pan in the sink tonight and I won't wash it until the morning and I won't have to get into some petty argument about it in the morning with someone who gets all anal about such things. Feels feckin' fantastic.

Tell me about it.. I was ****ing hungry during the night and was too wired to wash it up afterwards, I'll do it tomorrow! Washing up is an issue of contention at the best of times

I am the working dishwasher in my house, honestly, I'm like Cinderella without the two ugly sisters*

*May be a small exagerration but still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Moved in with 5 people last year.
    One was a friend of mine, the other 4 were random 2nd years

Housemate 1,2 & 3: All 2 or 3 years older than me, all sound, got on great with them, still friends even though we live nowhere near eachother but visit all the time.

Housemate 4: Nice enough but stopped going to college less than a month in and kept living there on weekdays pretending to go to college. Watched tv all day long, always sports and always blaring (annoying because my room was next door to the sitting room). Never cleaned or tidied up once but at least admitted to being lazy. Never talked to him much since we moved out.

Housemate 5 (the devil): The girl I was friends with already. Knew her for 7 years and she lives down the road from me. I was sharing a room with her. She brought home a different guy all but 2nights in september. I think the total was 17 (excluding weekends). Used to ride them all while I was 3 feet away trying to sleep. Rarely showered, didn't own deoderant (sometimes stole mine). Stole everyones food and denied it, more annoying because we could see her stealing it. Stole money off me all the time, always €1 coins that I'd leave on my dresser. Wore my clothes when I wasn't there. Left all her dirty clothes in a pile in the middle of the room for weeks on end so it stunk to ****. Never cleaned but used to say she did or "I don't even eat here" (while stuffing her face with the dinner she used 2 pots 2 plates and a casserole dish to make. Same dinner almost every day..) I stayed at home sick one week and had to hand something into college so called into the house without telling anyone, found my duvet and pillows on her bed. She used to come into the room after having a shower, standing in her towel she'd put one leg up on the bed (que towel getting stuck between her buttcheeks) and put a tampon in. Prance around the room naked. Smoke in the room when she thought I was asleep, or when I was awake, stand with the front door and room door open and smoke in the hall (my bed was like 4 feet from the front door, ****ing cold). Walk in at 4am turn the bedroom light on, leave the door open and drive off somewhere again. sit on my bed using my hairdryer while I was trying to sleep. She was stupid as **** and obsessed with herself, used to tell everyone about her perfect body (she did not look good)
    Could go on forever about her but I appear to be ranting :P None of the other housemates liked her so after an argument with me where I confronted her about stealing stuff and a few othet things she moved in with her bf which left me with a room to myself for twin room rate, yay :cool:
    *she used to be ok, during the summer before we moved in she lost a little weight and became a completely different person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

In a large house split into bedsits I lived in for a while, the guy below me liked to 'grow his own' and came up late one night out of it on some kind of class a to ask me to keep it down (infairness he was polite and I was drunk and being loud).

The guy who lived above me (I think he was Indian) had a little moped and would always be fixing it infront of the front door, in the way, and I always made a point of saying hi to him because he seemed to find it very insulting. He would also spend summers evenings playing with a little red remote control car out the front, and not a fast one, a little piece of crap you get from a toy shop. He used to come home late and pace up and down his room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I share this 3 bed house with 4 other people.
    There is one female and I get sex regularly - she also does most of the cooking and cleaning without even being asked. The three other lads living there are much younger, I get on well with them, but sometimes I'd love to just stuff them into a meat grinder, they can be infuriating! They seem to spend a lot of time playing x-station or play-box and such.
    Anyway - that's all I have to say about the wife and kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My only ever housemate is my bf and no complaints-we're both very laid back so it just works.
    I lived with a friend in the Gaeltacht for three weeks and almost killed her if that counts-constant singing, skipping and general attention seeking annoying childlike and high maintenance behaviour drove me nuts, and I'm hard to wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I'm moving out soon!! I can't wait.:D I don't think I could stand another day of cleaning that kitchen and the mess I didn't make. 2 of my housemates don't know what a dishwasher does and how it is 2 steps away from leaving their dishes beside the sink. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Just visited my gf in cork, she just moved into a new aparetment, first night, one of the housemates was working and gave the key to some of her lad mates who played dance music to 9 in the morning, shouted crap and knocked on our door and invited randomers of the street into the house.

She is moving tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

i live with 2 lads one is english who i call wife lol and the other is russian. My self and the english bloke have understanding when i comes to beers smokes and food we eat drink or smoke each others and just replace it or swop it for beers lol. but the russian bloke eat my food doesnt tell me and then replaces it with a less product. he ate the last of my butter and never replace it! my eggs and worst of all i bought extra virgin olive oil coz its nicer then other oil. he just bought 100% veg oil tesco brand. it tastes gross!!

on the whole nice lads but sometimes id like to throw them off the 5th floor balconey. i feel the weekly standing in the hallway shouting seriously someone else do the washing up im not doing it this time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

Oh Jesus, don't start me on housemates! Been sharing houses for ~12 years, 99% of the time we have all got on great, no big problems. I'm now living with a complete tool. She does the exact opposite of anything me or my other housemate does. it's as if she does this on purpose. The latest thing she has taken to is, opening blinds/curtains, and doors after me closing them all in the early evening time. I do this to keep heat in and make the place cosier. she doesn't wait till bedtime to open them all (I know some people like to have curtains etc open for morning), she would do it at 7pm perhaps. Even twice on the same evening once. :confused:
    fu*king tool. Also, I wouldn't mind but she's last in. She should fit in with the way things are.

Can't wait to get my own place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Sibylla wrote: »
    I'm moving in with three new people in a house share for college in September. I was very unlucky last year. One locked herself in her room 24/7 and the other used to steal everyone's food. The other two were grand! :p
    I know people who have made lifelong friends with housemates and other who detest theirs. What have your experiences been and what do you think of your current housemates? Thanks

Well alot of housemates steal other people's food, the only way to prevent that is putting a padlock on your cupboard door. If i was ever house sharing again I would expect that people would steal food. Well someone stealing food and your housemate locking herself in her room hardly dictates a unlucky year. It seems it was a hard year for your housemate though, she must have agoraphobia or maybe was depressed. Did you not try to get her out of the room?

In relation to sharing a house with others most of the experience were just to tolerated because I got the feeling they didn't like me I like them automatically so It felt like a was imposing when i was in the living room watching tv with them so I spent alot of time in my room. The last time i shared a house with others it was good I loved that house the girls I was sharing it with were down to earth, unassuming and accepting of everyone which is rare. It was an old house with character and warmth, you felt at home there.

Advertisement