Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle E-Reader

• 16-07-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

My folks offered to get me one for my bday coz I am a bookworm. Does anyone have one or know anyone who has one and if so would you recommend it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

ive had one for months - i love it! i wouldnt do without it now. i know the old arguement that it isnt the same as a regular book (to hold) but you can easily stick it in your handbag and travel with it much easier than a book (or stack of them)
    also easier to read outside in sunlight than a regular book as the 'pages' arent so white and bright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Unless you need to read in darkness (there is no "BACKLIGHT") I'd recommend it.

Mind you, a new one is probably coming out next week/month/year.

My cousin, a COMPLETE bookworm, rates it very highly. I need to be able to read in darkness (insomniac with a partner that gets up early) so I use my smartphone instead.

Get the 3G version, and you can browse the net anywhere in the word for free.

You can also load your own ebooks on it, if they aren't in a DRM format.

the lack of backlighting is a plus for me. its the main reason it works so well outdoors. but also because backlit screens give me eye strain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Kindle E-reader = Bookworm heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

you can get a cover with a light for the Kindle for reading in the dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

pogsick wrote: »
    you can get a cover with a light for the Kindle for reading in the dark
    I ordered on the other day, a kindle and ordered the cover with light to go with it , cant bloddy wait, having shelves full of books is overrated as you cant keep um all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭cml387

I have one.
    Had it for a fortnight,can't imagine how I did without it before.

Plus, Amazon is not the only only source for books ifyouknowarrimean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I LOVE my kindle. I can't emphasise this enough.

I take it everywhere (just in case I have a spare 5 minutestongue.gif).

I read a minimum of 1 hour a day - often up to 3, and access to books instantly is such a plus - like when you finish a book at 11pm and NEED to start the next in the series NOW.

What I like:

The battery lasts for ever (for me about 2 weeks).
    It remembers what page you were on, when you turn it on again.
    Calibre software allows you to convert book suitable for kindle format, that you have downloaded in different formats.
    You can chop and change between books, without carrying a library around with you.
    You can read samples - like the first chapter of a book - before buying.

And there's heaps more - music while reading, audio reading, a (limited) browser function, games.

My only disappointment - finding the screen damaged, and being without it for a week :eek:

cml387 wrote: »
    I have one.

Amazon have an area on their site explaining this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=hp_200527380_content_free?node=2245146011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes and that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have had mine since late May and I LOVE it. Best thing I have ever bought, it is so easy to buy books and to read so many books on the go. It is superb. Get yourself a good case/cover as well.

Fantastic and worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Thanks for all the comments so far :)

It seems to be getting fairly good reviews all round. There are some criticisims I've read such as it turns off and reboots regularly, you loose your page if it does, it has no backlight, the browser isn't great etc. What do you all think on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

It seems to be getting fairly good reviews all round. There are some criticisims I've read such as it turns off and reboots regularly, you loose your page if it does, it has no backlight, the browser isn't great etc. What do you all think on these?

I have never had that issue with it rebooting or anything. It has never done that to me, the battery lasts forever! The browser isn't great but I don't browse online with it. I keep the wireless off when I am not using the internet and that makes the battery last even longer!

I use the computer to browse the Amazon store and transfer the books via cable or wireless and that suits me.

You can buy a case with a light in it, so that is one way of getting around that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cml387 wrote: »
    I have one.

dont wanna get into a debate here , but i will be purchasing all my ebooks from genuine retailers unless they restrict me to stupid region restrctions and make it impossible to buy it .

Its a fledging part of the industry if we dont support it honestly now then we are just shooting ourselves in the foot and repeating the mistakes of the music industry again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

See here - huge thread covering just about all aspects: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984061

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

dont wanna get into a debate here , but i will be purchasing all my ebooks from genuine retailers unless they restrict me to stupid region restrctions and make it impossible to buy it .
    Agreed. If I can buy it for my reader, I will. If stupid legislation prevents me, then there are other ways. Hopefully the industry will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FranSansisco

best present i've ever received, love it, i've got the Kindle 2, so i've had it over 18 months
    really really think i would struggle without it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I got mine last week and bloody love it !! flying through books on it now !

Only thing annoying me , Amazon seem to have a limited selection of the "free" classics ?

anyone know where i can find them all ? - legit that is ? im not asking for illegal dl's here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Not sure if they work on the kindle, if you need to convert you can use http://calibre-ebook.com/ to convert them.

no back light is a plus for me - mine has never randomly reboot, it usually only does a boot (like a update) when i turn it on. the browser is still experimental its not a major feature of the kindle but its good enough for my email and checking bus times

theres a link earlier in the thread to some other site suggestions - like the gutenberg project etc. the 'lists' on amazon are worth a look for user posted lists of free classics too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jcf wrote: »
    anyone know where i can find them all ? - legit that is ? im not asking for illegal dl's here.
    http://www.manybooks.net/ - Has the books in Kindle's .azw format so there's no need to convert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Thanks guys !!!

I got a nice copy of Oliver Twist !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I have the kindle app on my laptop and windows phone - it's great :) - I'm a total bookworm though. I really like the fact that I can switch between the app on my phone and laptop seamlessly. It's like carrying a library in my pocket :)

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Anybody know how the "free 3G" works here in ireland?

whos the provider etc?

Anybody know how the "free 3G" works here in ireland?

whos the provider etc?
    Here's the map:
    http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab

And info on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-7?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200375890&qid=1312908925&sr=1-7

To the best of my knowledge it's vodafone as this is the provider in the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

That would be correct, it charges via USB or if you have a power connector(like the one that comes with the iPhone) it can charge via that too, you can buy a separate uk/Irish adapter too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

That would be correct, it charges via USB or if you have a power connector(like the one that comes with the iPhone) it can charge via that too, you can buy a separate uk/Irish adapter too

Thanks. If that's all it is I think I'll get the US one.

EDIT: Amazon won't ship the "US" one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

For what its worth they just mentioned on the Right Hook that now is not a good time to buy a Kindle, a new one is coming out and prices will drop.

Advertisement