Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle E-Reader

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

pogsick wrote: »
    That would be correct, it charges via USB or if you have a power connector(like the one that comes with the iPhone) it can charge via that too, you can buy a separate uk/Irish adapter too

Thanks. If that's all it is I think I'll get the US one.

EDIT: Amazon won't ship the "US" one.

Look for "live outside the us?" and choose Ireland from the drop down menu on the kindle product page

omerin wrote: »
    For what its worth they just mentioned on the Right Hook that now is not a good time to buy a Kindle, a new one is coming out and prices will drop.

Correct usually around the end of august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Look for "live outside the us?" and choose Ireland from the drop down menu on the kindle product page

I tried to get the one with a US charger so I could at least use a travel adaptor.

I tried to get the one with a US charger so I could at least use a travel adaptor.

Ya they won't allow you to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Great resource to have, I have the 3G version, although it's by no means a primary function (or an easy function to use for that matter) the internet option is great to have, and it works in over 200 contries free of charge, would definetly reccommend one if you have a large library too, someone once told me if you can find a book that you're looking for on amazon you can request them to convert it to digital format for you which is handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Gearheart wrote: »
    Great resource to have, I have the 3G version, although it's by no means a primary function (or an easy function to use for that matter) the internet option is great to have, and it works in over 200 contries free of charge, would definetly reccommend one if you have a large library too, someone once told me if you can find a book that you're looking for on amazon you can request them to convert it to digital format for you which is handy

My phone won't work in central America so I'll be relying on my kindle. I'll have it with me anyway as I eat books.

What amazon does is tell the publishers that there have been digital format requests. Doesn't always work out. But it's handy to be able to give them such specific feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭pavb2

So should I buy now or wait until Xmas in case a new one comes out. Also thinking of getting an Iphone at end of Oct what is the Kindle APP like on this for reading?

pavb2 wrote: »
    So should I buy now or wait until Xmas in case a new one comes out. Also thinking of getting an Iphone at end of Oct what is the Kindle APP like on this for reading?
    For me - not good. You're also restricted in what is available. Its also not a patch on the kindle itself.

You could wait a couple Of months to see if a new one comes out as the price of the 3G may drop. Its still worth every penny as it is, to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

ordered one last night...had held off for a couple of months as anew version is supposed to be on the way.

Couldnt wait any longer!! It could be xmas at this stage so i reckoned i would have it paid off at that stage, cant be waiting my whole life to save a few quid....

now just the waiting part to get it in my hands :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BTW be careful - it seems the screens on these are very delicate! As I recently found out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have the kindle Iphone app, it works well even in poor light conditions even with a small screen and if I never saw my sons kindle I would say I didnt need a kindle. I will buy the the 3g Kindle as I travel internationally with work so the limited browser will tick my boxes.

I like the fact I can read in bed with the iphone and not wake up the misses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

BTW be careful - it seems the screens on these are very delicate! As I recently found out :(

I dropped mine once... my heart stopped but the screen survived....

Sorry to hear that :(:(

angel01 wrote: »

I dropped mine once... my heart stopped but the screen survived....

Sorry to hear that :(:(
    Ive found the screen quite durable. But you should have a proper case for protecting it. Even a small computer case will do. If it's floating around your bag things can damage it especially if the bag gets bumped a lot. I found out the hard way and got a cheap but decent technet case for 11 I think it was. I nearly passed out when it first got damaged!

Aishae wrote: »
    Ive found the screen quite durable. But you should have a proper case for protecting it. Even a small computer case will do. If it's floating around your bag things can damage it especially if the bag gets bumped a lot. I found out the hard way and got a cheap but decent technet case for 11 I think it was. I nearly passed out when it first got damaged!

I have a case for it, it did drop in the case which possibly protected it.. I bought the case when I bought the kindle. It is handy having it protected and worth the extra cash! :D

angel01 wrote: »

I have a case for it, it did drop in the case which possibly protected it.. I bought the case when I bought the kindle. It is handy having it protected and worth the extra cash! :D
    Is it one of those plastic cases or the ones that look a bit like an organiser? They're both good I'd say. But I thought the one that looked like an organiser would be better for travel as it doesnt stand out (to thieves) but that was an imminent concern as I'm going away soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i have the 3g kindle and was very excited for going away with it... unfortunately the screen decided to break on the 2nd day, i never dropped it or banged it. i think it was a fault in the actually kindle. As i was going to be away for another 6 weeks i was very disappointed needless to say.

however amazon were amazing! they sent me a new kindle to my home address and gave me a extension on sending the broken kindle back to them as i couldn't find a ups on my travels.

i would recommend a kindle to anyone! they really are amazing!!

Is it one of those plastic cases or the ones that look a bit like an organiser? They're both good I'd say. But I thought the one that looked like an organiser would be better for travel as it doesnt stand out (to thieves) but that was an imminent concern as I'm going away soon.

The ones that look like an organiser, It is purple and I love it :D

Snap! Purple here too.

When mine broke - the screen went weird - amazon were amazing sorting that too. Excellent customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭pavb2

So the consensus is to buy one now rather than wait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

yes!!! seriously you won't look back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So the consensus is to buy one now rather than wait?
    Do it now. It's not like an iPhone where it costs a kidney or you sign a 20 year contract. You can get one for €133 in the airport.

I broke the screen on my first one by stepping on it in my bag.
    Amazon's fantastic customer service replaced it and now I carry it about in this case in my bag. (I remove it from the case to read though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Dades wrote: »
    Do it now. It's not like an iPhone where it costs a kidney or you sign a 20 year contract. You can get one for €133 in the airport.

I broke the screen on my first one by stepping on it in my bag.
    Amazon's fantastic customer service replaced it and now I carry it about in this case in my bag. (I remove it from the case to read though).

Does anyone think it's worthwhile waiting a while to see what the new Amazon tablet is like? Rumour has it that it will be around the $250 mark. It'd kill me to buy a Kindle now and then find that the Tablet does everything the Kindle does and more. I'm very keen on seeing if this new device will be good for e-reading, web browsing, watching movies, playing games etc

Any thoughts anyone?

si really doubt it will ever move into the full on tablet market where you can see colour, movies and games. the whole idea behind the kindle and its success is that the screen is not backlit, which works in the sun. as an e-reader theres not much to be gained by focusing on enhancing it for using the internet if that would be at the detriment of it being an exceptional e-reader .

i imagine they will focus on the speech to texts and audiobook aspects.
    so if it were me i wouldnt wait. there is always the potential for something better just around the corner as well.

i remember seeing a post on the kindle reviews from someone who said they bought the 3g intending for it to be their main internet access device and were sorely disappointed. the 3g was mainly introduced so that users could access the kindle amazon shop to download books far easier and when traveling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

boobar wrote: »
    It'd kill me to buy a Kindle now and then find that the Tablet does everything the Kindle does and more. I'm very keen on seeing if this new device will be good for e-reading, web browsing, watching movies, playing games etc
    It's extremely unlikely to have eInk. This is critical (to me) for reading. It is far far more comfortable to read than a backlit LCD display which is what the Android tablets, etc are. They are not comparable for the stress on your eyes. If the primary purpose for you is to read then get an eInk reader, such as the Kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have to agree the E-ink is the selling point for me , i wouldnt use a backlit screen to read as i think its harder to read on and useless in some light conditions .

Lot of talk about a hybrid screen in the near future though , i would skip the tablet and wait for that if its going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

wouldn't staring into a backlit screen, say.. reading in bed, before sleeping, really mess about with your sleep patterns?

I don't get the move to backlit, both for the strain on the eyes of the reader.. and battery issues, there just isn't going to be that sturdy, leave the thing lying about for days\weeks without recharging, hardiness of the current Kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

The kindle is a no brainer.
    It's lovely,I have mine in a book like cover case I bought in the airport.
    The ink and paper like read is super.
    Apart from the books,their instant availability and everything else positive people have said,I have my irish times sub on it too,so I have that instantly every morning no matter where I am in the world.

The browser is a black and white cumbersome thing obviously but it's better than a kick in the teeth as it's free.
    It's grand for a quick check of some news sites when away if you want a quick glance at whats going on :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Amalgam wrote: »
    I don't get the move to backlit, both for the strain on the eyes of the reader.. and battery issues, there just isn't going to be that sturdy, leave the thing lying about for days\weeks without recharging, hardiness of the current Kindle.
    I agree with all the above - except for the "sturdy" complement. I find it quite flimsy. Before I stood on my last one (:p) the casing at the bottom had come open and I had to click it back into place.

But once you use some form of case for carrying it about, this isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

Been thinking of getting a kindle or e-reader for college and have a few queries I hope some of you users can answer for me.
    • Whats the general availablity of college books for kindle etc? I know it'll probably vary from author to author, but has anyone been using it sucessfully for college?
    • Can you highligh sections?
    • Can you add notes to a page?
    • If so, is it typed in our can you freehand with a stylus?
    • Does it handle other filetypes, such as pdf or scanned notes?
    • If you're going between several books, can you mark the page you were on?
    • Are downloads cheaper than the paper version?
    • Would I be better getting a tablet if the added functionality made it worthwhile, and if so, have you any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

paulbok wrote: »
    Been thinking of getting a kindle or e-reader for college and have a few queries I hope some of you users can answer for me.
    • Whats the general availablity of college books for kindle etc? I know it'll probably vary from author to author, but has anyone been using it sucessfully for college?
    • Can you highligh sections?
    • Can you add notes to a page?
    • If so, is it typed in our can you freehand with a stylus?
    • Does it handle other filetypes, such as pdf or scanned notes?
    • If you're going between several books, can you mark the page you were on?
    • Are downloads cheaper than the paper version?
    • Would I be better getting a tablet if the added functionality made it worthwhile, and if so, have you any recommendations?
    Personally i wont even attempt to use it for college as the one thing i find hard is finding a certain page , which you could do 100 times a day when studying . unless anybody has any tips on that?

Advertisement