Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle E-Reader

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I borrowed a credit card to see how the process worked and downloaded Game Of Thrones. pretty awesome device! I've since deleted the card as it's not mine. I'm thinking of getting an O2 money card to take with me on my travels and was wondering if Amazon would accept this on my account? If so I'd be sorted. The US prices are pretty sweet. I got G.O.T. for €5.40.
    They sell a pack with the first 4 games of thrones books all parts of the books , i got it for €14 i think a few months back its much better value than getting them seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for that. Does anyone know a good program for converting pdf files to the Kindle format? I have a pdf version of 'The Zombie Survival Guide' and it transfers onto the Kindle fine but the text is really small and you can see dark shading around the edge of the page where clearly the original page was. I've tried a few programs from Google but they all seem to mess up the formatting of the book. I know Amazon offer a converting service via email but they charge for it. Does anyone use a good (free) program for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Cheers for that. Does anyone know a good program for converting pdf files to the Kindle format? I have a pdf version of 'The Zombie Survival Guide' and it transfers onto the Kindle fine but the text is really small and you can see dark shading around the edge of the page where clearly the original page was. I've tried a few programs from Google but they all seem to mess up the formatting of the book. I know Amazon offer a converting service via email but they charge for it. Does anyone use a good (free) program for this?

I dont know a programme that converts PDF. I use calibre to convert books to mobi for kindle. Try epudbud site for that book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aishae wrote: »
    I dont know a programme that converts PDF. I use calibre to convert books to mobi for kindle. Try epudbud site for that book

Calibre converts PDF to mobi too.

Amazon has a free method of converting PDF's for you and sending them straight to your device wirelessly. All you need to do is:

- Go into your normal email account and compose a new mail

- Address it to: Your Kindle email address with the word free in it ie johnmajor@free.kindle.com

- Put the subject as 'Convert' (this must be done in order for it to work)

- Attach the PDF you want on your Kindle

Voila!

A few mins later you will receive a responding email from Amazon saying you have received your document and a few mins after that the document automatically appears on your Kindle in the right format. Couldn't be easier! There's no need for the usb cable at all!

Amazon offer a paid version of this service but it's not widely known about the free method.

• Advertisement

On the subject of books:

I'm looking to scare the pants off myself! Any recommendations? I've downloaded 20 Stephen King books but I need more, ha!

So far I've got 43 books (including some free classics) and I'm trying to put as many on as possible before I head off. A bit of everything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Hi
    I'm heading to the States in the next few weeks, and Kindle's seem to be a bit cheaper there than ordering them here and paying the duty. Does anyone know if there is any technical issue with doing this?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm heading to the States in the next few weeks, and Kindle's seem to be a bit cheaper there than ordering them here and paying the duty. Does anyone know if there is any technical issue with doing this?
    Cheers

should be no issue, just contact Kindle support if you have any issues, they won't bat an eyelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

As the title says,

Just ordered the Kindle 3 on Sunday night and I see now that Amazon have announced a whole raft of new Kindles including the Kindle Fire.

Afraid to look to see what I've missed out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

boobar wrote: »
    As the title says,

Just ordered the Kindle 3 on Sunday night and I see now that Amazon have announced a whole raft of new Kindles including the Kindle Fire.

Afraid to look to see what I've missed out on.

if you havent opened it amazon will take it back no questions asked.and even if you have opened it(but not used it)they will take it back.the only downside is you have to wait for the new one to arrive :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

crazygeryy wrote: »
    if you havent opened it amazon will take it back no questions asked.and even if you have opened it(but not used it)they will take it back.the only downside is you have to wait for the new one to arrive :(

I wouldn't mind I waited 3 months to order this, thinking an announcement was imminent.

Then as soon as I order it, this happens.

To heck with it, I'll stick with the Kindle 3, everyone seems to love them, tried and tested, so can't really go too far wrong.

The new ones seem cheaper that's the only thing.

i prefer my kindle 3g - not backlit. that was one of things that drew me to it. i can get online, play games etc on the phone or laptop. :D

Does anyone know if the existing Kindle 3 has been reduced in shops ie PC World? If so, I might pick up a second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just ordered a Kindle Fire (i'm in seattle) to be delivered nov 15th.

I'm excited. I did like the buttons to run the pages on the old one so adapting to a touch screen (that i cant hold) will be a change.

but I can always still use the old one as well.

Does anyone know if the existing Kindle 3 has been reduced in shops ie PC World? If so, I might pick up a second one.

The Kindle Keyboard(as it is now called) has not be reduced in price as it is being sold alongside the new Kindle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

Aishae wrote: »
    i prefer my kindle 3g - not backlit. that was one of things that drew me to it. i can get online, play games etc on the phone or laptop. :D

Hi Aishae

Is that 'free 3G' or do you have to okay a monthly subscription to 02/Eircom etc?

The one Jeff Bezos announced this week has the cost of the 3G built into the initial purchase price. Is that just in the U.S. or is it the same in Ireland?

Austin

Austin1 wrote: »
    Hi Aishae

Is that 'free 3G' or do you have to okay a monthly subscription to 02/Eircom etc?

The one Jeff Bezos announced this week has the cost of the 3G built into the initial purchase price. Is that just in the U.S. or is it the same in Ireland?

Austin

The 3G is free worldwide, the only cost you would pay would be for sending personal documents via 3G, otherwise no charge

What do people think of the kindle Fire ?
    Seems to be aimed at a different market really to the standard kindle due to the standard backlit screen , and low battery life vs normal kindle.

Looks like a decent product i just wouldnt buy it for e books myself .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seems to be aimed at a different market really to the standard kindle due to the standard backlit screen , and low battery life vs normal kindle.

Have a read here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056403942

DIfferent market? Not for me. I'm a confirmed kindle fan and i see this as an upgrade I've been waiting for. (and I ordered a Fire last week).

I can live with recharging it more often if I can now read in low light with a backlit screen. For me thats a huge plus.

I'm not so sure about turning pages with the touch screen though...

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    DIfferent market? Not for me. I'm a confirmed kindle fan and i see this as an upgrade I've been waiting for. (and I ordered a Fire last week).

I can live with recharging it more often if I can now read in low light with a backlit screen. For me thats a huge plus.

Are you in the U.S so to say you were able to order one ?

For a lot of kindle fans the backlit screen will be the main downside, its proven in sleep studies that reading on a backlit screen right before trying to sleep can upset your sleep paterns , i feel like the people who go for the fire will the same ones who would be interested in a tablet anyway for other uses and arent buying one specifically for reading on .

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'm the opposite. I love that I can read it in strong light especially sunlight and on buses during sunnier weather etc

So I'm not interested in it as an ereader but it is more of a tablet with an e reading function than an e reader with extra functions really.
    So if/when I go down the tablet route I'll defo consider it especially at that price if the customs price added on doesn't kill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

The fire isn't an E-reader because the ink isn't made especially for book reading. It is a tablet and moving away from everything that the Kindle was based on.

Are any of the new Kindle's available in Ireland yet or are they still just selling the Kindle 3 atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Are any of the new Kindle's available in Ireland yet or are they still just selling the Kindle 3 atm?
    Just the new basic model and the renamed K3, and they only sell the non-ad supported model internationally.

The Fire and the Touch are only being sold in the US for now.

Where is the new one being sold? PC World? Have you seen it?

It's this one yeah?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=sa_menu_kdptq2

How much is it in store? I might get it tomorrow if it's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Has anyone tried reading comics or manga on their kindle ?

I was thinking of just getting the cheapest one ,just for reading, but then i thought why not manga.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Just the new basic model and the renamed K3, and they only sell the non-ad supported model internationally.

The Fire and the Touch are only being sold in the US for now.

They're not available until the middle of November in the US. You can pre-order now but you wont get it until mid-nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Where is the new one being sold? PC World? Have you seen it?

It's this one yeah?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=sa_menu_kdptq2

How much is it in store? I might get it tomorrow if it's available.

Currys seem to always have stock issues, best to order direct from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    Has anyone tried reading comics or manga on their kindle ?

I was thinking of just getting the cheapest one ,just for reading, but then i thought why not manga.

They look great, even it is in just black/white, might be a bit squished looking for some people, no complaints here though

Advertisement