Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail clients cannot send from eircom address

Options
  • 16-07-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Access via eircom.net/webmail works fine but mail cannot be sent using Apple's mail client or Thunderbird. Error message reads '5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain gmail.com. Please check the message recipient and try again'. The mail recipient is valid.

Outgoing server settings are:
    Server: mail1.eircom.net
    Port: 25
    Connection security: None

Any advice please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the IP address is on an RBL, check.

RBL: What is an RBL (Realtime Black List) - Search to See If Your Domain is on an RBL

To get a new and hopefully clean IP address you should turn your router off for an hour and retest with that link. If reallocated the same address then turn off at 9pm and do not turn on till morning.

eircom does not manage their IP range and leaves addresses on blacklists for years after the spammer originally got it blacklisted.

Now that demand on the eircom IP pool is falling maybe eircom will remove RBL'd addresses as a matter of priority and will use one of their Indian droids clean up the mess instead of wasting customers time and their outsourced money on their so called support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Access via eircom.net/webmail works fine but mail cannot be sent using Apple's mail client or Thunderbird. Error message reads '5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain gmail.com. Please check the message recipient and try again'. The mail recipient is valid.

Outgoing server settings are:
    Server: mail1.eircom.net
    Port: 25
    Connection security: None

Any advice please?

Hi AntHraxEater,

Thanks for post and apologies for the delay.

The error message you receive is quite generic and difficult to tell where the problem lies. Tech Support suggest this error may be caused by either you're not using the correct 'smtp' mailserver (ie. : mail1.eircom.net ) or you may not be logged into eircom; but rather connecting through a moblile network or through a work server.

I have confirmed there are no problems sending email from eircom to my gmail account.

As you say, your webmail works fine and this may indicate the problem is with your software (or email client).

If setting up Thunderbird, the following may be helpful :

Thunderbird (PC & Mac)
    • Open Thunderbird
    • Click Tools > Account Settings
    • Select Outgoing Server (SMTP) from the left menu pane
    • Highlight the 'mail1.eircom.net' SMTP server profile
    • Click Edit…
    • In the Port field, enter 25
    • Uncheck the box for Use name and password
    • Under Use secure connection:, select No
    • Click OK
    • Click OK

eircom E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

How to configure your e-mail client

If you need further Technical assistance or need confirmation that your eircom email account is working, please call into Technical Support :-

Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards,

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntHraxEater

I'm already using the SMTP settings you've given, they are listed in the original post. I am not connecting through a mobile network or a work server. My only option is to connect through Eircom.

So you're saying the standard Apple mail client is buggy and Thunderbird the same. That's funny when both clients can handle a gmail account with no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I'm already using the SMTP settings you've given, they are listed in the original post. I am not connecting through a mobile network or a work server. My only option is to connect through Eircom.

So you're saying the standard Apple mail client is buggy and Thunderbird the same. That's funny when both clients can handle a gmail account with no problems at all.

Hi AntHraxEater,

Thanks again, I'm not sure I've ever said buggy.

Though I'm also unsure why this is happening with your email client, if you're connecting through an eircom connection, and using our mail relay server : mail1.eircom.net.

That said, I can set up a test email account here using your eircom account on a 3rd party email client.

If I can confirm that the email client is able to send and receive your eircom email, this would clearly suggest this is not an eircom related mail problem.

In this case I would advise that you contact your email client or firewall or anti-virus vendor /or manufacturer. They should be able to advise you if this is related to their software.

Please PM me your eircom email address so I can test your email account.

Thanks
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I have had this issue a lot but it is down to the anti spam measures that are taken by ISP's. They tend to block what they call "relaying".

I used to have the issue as my SMTP was set to my home internet provider ( I work from home). Everytime I travelled I kept getting email send errors as the hotel internet provider was different and it refused to relay the email via their SMTP server to mine.

In the end I bought an authenticated SMTP service and now I never have an issue!

This is what I use http://www.authsmtp.com/

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

scout353 wrote: »
    I have had this issue a lot but it is down to the anti spam measures that are taken by ISP's. They tend to block what they call "relaying".

I used to have the issue as my SMTP was set to my home internet provider ( I work from home). Everytime I travelled I kept getting email send errors as the hotel internet provider was different and it refused to relay the email via their SMTP server to mine.

In the end I bought an authenticated SMTP service and now I never have an issue!

This is what I use http://www.authsmtp.com/

Hope this helps!

god i remember messing around with all this stuff around 2003-2004 until gmail and google hosted email came out.

Advertisement