Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying calves

• 16-07-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at getting a couple of calves for my father. He's had 30 ewes for the last few years but moving them on.

I have direct farming contacts, my uncle and grandfather are both large cattle dealers, but hard to get advise from.

Wanted a couple of calves, from as young an age as possible from weaning. What paperwork is needed for cattle? He has a flock number, does this cover him for cattle. I think it does as he recently had a bord bia audit and failed it on cattle ( even tho he has never had cattle???).

Was thinking of a couple of beef calves, what breeds would you advise, charlaois?

Any advise greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Calves are a ridiculous price this year. The price of cattle and calves will crash in the near future, guaranteed. The expensive calves that you buy now will leave little profit when you sell them. Wait until the price crash to purchase them unless you want to keep them for fun. You need to put up a cattle crush and pen and get a herd number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

It's mainly as a hobbie rather than anything else. Is the sheep flock number the same as a herd number or does he need another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tanco

No its different, your dad has a flock number, he needs a herd number. Crush and apply to the department, straight forward enough.

Calves are mad this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Price aside, if you buy calves, say 3-5 months will they thrive much without any form of milk. Will lush grass alone suffice or will meal be needed also. Big job keep them healthy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Calves don't need milk over 3 months just quality short grass and lots of it and failing this some meal, for a hobbie i'd get a dog, you'll just need a licence. I don't know where the prophets of doom get that "The price of cattle and calves will crash in the near future, guaranteed", beef is scarce and will be and i reckon cattle aren't dear enough, try make money out of producing them.

• Advertisement

funny man wrote: »
    I don't know where the prophets of doom get that "The price of cattle and calves will crash in the near future, guaranteed", beef is scarce and will be and i reckon cattle aren't dear enough, try make money out of producing them.
    Prophets of doom :rolleyes: When you are buying cattle every year a price drop isn't doom unless you bought dear and are selling cheap ;) Think back 2 years when weanlings were struggling to make €1/kg, this time last year angus and hereford calves were only making €50 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

kept the last 20 fr bull april/ may calves as i have plenty milk and some cell count stuff. out on grass,they are coming off milk next week and are going grand. thinking of selling in august what are they worth

Prophets of doom :rolleyes: When you are buying cattle every year a price drop isn't doom unless you bought dear and are selling cheap ;) Think back 2 years when weanlings were struggling to make €1/kg, this time last year angus and hereford calves were only making €50 each.

Do you think guys were making money selling at these prices, the reason cattle are dear is prices to the primary producer was so low suckler farmers were getting out of cows and calves were been exported out of the country and untill stock numbers build again prices will remain where they should be and hopefully we can all make money out of farming.

keep going wrote: »
    kept the last 20 fr bull april/ may calves as i have plenty milk and some cell count stuff. out on grass,they are coming off milk next week and are going grand. thinking of selling in august what are they worth

put them on donedeal, no less than €300, just watch out for the cavan accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

put them on donedeal, no less than €300, just watch out for the cavan accent!

is there some fella pulling a stunt from cavan cos friends of mine was selling drop calves this year and a fella from cavan rang them mad to buy,they sold them to some else but the cavan man was mad keen and no argueing over money which surprised him ;)

• Advertisement

Do you think guys were making money selling at these prices, the reason cattle are dear is prices to the primary producer was so low suckler farmers were getting out of cows and calves were been exported out of the country and untill stock numbers build again prices will remain where they should be and hopefully we can all make money out of farming.
    In case you haven't heard the country is full of dairy cows and there is a serious super levy looming. More dairy cows means more calves super levy will mean more cull cows. There will be also more restrictions with exporting live animals.

Advertisement