Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Lightning Clean Streak & Clean Ride?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You should use the degreaser before the lube.

I've not used that degreaser but I did use that lube for a while on my commute bike. I just couldn't get it to work well for me. It would lube okay for the first day, but no better than okay, and by day 3 it was ineffective. If I got a wet day it wouldn't last the day. That's for a relatively short commute of 23km per day. It was my first time using it so the issue could be that I just didn't use it properly (maybe I used too little/too much, didn't apply it well enough, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 4li5t4ir

If the chain is new don't bother with the degreaser, otherwise you need a perfectly clean chain if you're applying the wax lube for the first time. I use the White Lightening on my commuter, and it works just fine. Although I run a fixed gear so I don't know how it performs with geared drivetrains. Applying it is always a mess for me, I can never seem to get it to squirt out properly. It's as thin as water and I always seem to get more on the ground then the chain. The main benefit for me is that if your clothing touches the chain you don't get oil on it. That being said if you are using it on a weekend warrior bicycle you may just want to stick to oil, it's easier to apply and most likely lubricates better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I've used white lightning clean streak before. It's very good at getting grime off your components, you see the dirt dripping off with the aerosol pressure to leave a spotless finish behind.

I wouldn't use it again though because it's bad value for money (one can gets a max of 4 or 5 bike washes) and it has some seriously nasty chemicals and creates a corrosive mist that you don't want to breath in or get in your eyes. Only use with dust mask and googles.

I use Pedros degreaser - it's a thick cream that I brush on with a small paintbrush, leave for 5 mins and then wipe the chain, chainrings etc. Works great.

http://www.pedros.com/proj.htm

The clean ride is ok but runs out of the chain quick enough (especially if it's raining/wet roads) and gets squeaky.

Advertisement