Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Pan in the GCT

• 16-07-2011 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Just in from it. Fantastic performances all round.

Couple of nitpicks: Wendy is too sexy/precocious, Captain hook is too like Captain Jack Sparrow, Mr Smee is underused, There's a pointless scene in the middle with Mermaids featuring Mrs Darling as the central mermaid in what looks like an electric wheelchair with a clamshell on it (WTF? went through my mind several times). For some reason the Darlings now employ an Au-Pair (again WTF). Several of the pirates are female & extremely sexy - tight tops, boobs spilling over top.

They've tried to update the story to modern day, this is the fourth generation of Captain Hook & third Wendy (her mother & grandmother too), but I'd have preferred if they didn't.

The special effects are stunning, lots of flying & not many wires showing, (including two fantastic set pieces). The sets are magnificent. All in all worth catching. Probably would have preferred if it was a Panto or at least fell into Panto season. It did show that the GCT could be used very effectively for Phantom though. There's several scenes "on Water".

My six year old loved it, she was enthralled by the whole thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I saw it last night, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it very much. I found Wendy to be extremely annoying, and had been considering leaving at the interval. It wasn't at all what I expected, and I found it a little too saccharine at many points. The pirates dance/song in the first act was fun, and I had hoped for more of it in the second act, which is the main reason I had stayed.

I thought a lot of the acting, particularly prior to the kids departing for neverland, was really forced, and pretty bad in some places. Re: the mermaid scene, we were also baffled as to the point or relevance. At several points (such as the mermaid scene, the discussion about Hook being the 4th generation hook, etc) I thought that it had the potential to get good, but sadly, they didn't expand on any of those threads. The only nod to the fact that it was, allegedly, a modern day re-imagining was the "london, present day" declaration at the start.

I was really disappointed, and glad we didn't pay full price for our tickets. By the end, we just wanted to get out of there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I think it would work better as a panto (I felt I was at one).

I guess they were getting their money's worth out of Ms Nolan for the mermaid scene.

Modern Day -> There's also a flatscreen TV in the back of the bedroom.

They could have staged "Hook" as a stage show & that would have been decent (terribly underrated movie).

It's "World Premier" is here in Dublin & I'm guessing we're going to see a lot more of these "World Premier"s as it's the ideal testing ground to know if you're going to flop or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Saw this last night. Thought it was really dreadful. Kids had no idea what was happening and were really restless and bored. Left at interval, I couldn't face another hour of this drivel. Bad acting (exception being Daniel Boys who was good), bad dancing, too much spoken script, unfunny, boring, like a really really bad panto.
    Really one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Thankfully I had a free ticket or I'd be so pissed off if I paid good money for this load of rubbish! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sales must be really dire if they're offering two-for-one on evening shows.
    I tried for eight tickets as an experiment and was offered the seventh row.
    Not a good sign.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

My mam and sister went a couple of nights ago and left at the interval, thought it was desperate. And they paid full price for their tickets. So disappointing - they're going to write and complain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement