Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Studies @ UCC & your 3rd year in China?

• 16-07-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'll be studying Arts at UCC next Sept as a mature student. If I choose Chinese Studies I know Year 3 is spent at a university in China, does anyone know which Chinese uni? Is there only one? Do you have a choice? Thing is I'm married. If a student is married can their spouse come with them to China? How would that work? Do you have to find your own accommodation in China or do you stay in a university residence? Straight out of secondary school and you most likely don't have such issues but as a mature student in your late 30's you do.

Do students who have to spend a year abroad get any increased grant or anything to help cover travel costs, Chinese uni residence costs etc? By the way is it a full academic year you spend in China or oneacademic semester? From what I can see in the Book of Modules it is actually about three and a half months? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

I'm not too sure but I think it's only University of Shanghai you'll be going to. You'll be doing Chinese only over there from 8-12 every day of the week. I'd say you'll have to contact the university in Shanghai regarding visas for your wife for the year. You'll be contacting them about your forms for your visas anyway. I don' have a clue about the accomodation, sorry.
    Regarding extra funds, there is a scholarship which the Department of Chinese Studies in UCC offers in association with Confucius Institute. You'll need HSK level 2 (a chinese proficiency test) for that. Fortunately UCC does HSK exams and level 2 isn't too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Mario007 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure but I think it's only University of Shanghai you'll be going to. You'll be doing Chinese only over there from 8-12 every day of the week. I'd say you'll have to contact the university in Shanghai regarding visas for your wife for the year. You'll be contacting them about your forms for your visas anyway. I don' have a clue about the accomodation, sorry.
    Regarding extra funds, there is a scholarship which the Department of Chinese Studies in UCC offers in association with Confucius Institute. You'll need HSK level 2 (a chinese proficiency test) for that. Fortunately UCC does HSK exams and level 2 isn't too difficult.

Thanks for that info. Starting at 8am eh? That's pretty early! :( So it's most likely just Shanghai then? One of China's most expensive cities :mad: I'll probably try contacting the department at UCC and find out more, I may not do Chinese Studies at all, it was only an idea. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Remember, going to China for Third Year isn't compulsory (I'm 95% certain). I'm pretty sure it's Shanghai since Cork is twinned with Shanghai. Shanghai is expensive, but not as expensive as Beijing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Hey Marti,

Just sent you a PM as I can elaborate more than in a comment.

Good luck with your choice.

Advertisement