Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Enfield or AI

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Arthur. wrote: »
    Blaser 2
    Very expensive rifle. More than AI and TRG. They come in around the €3700 mark. Have a 24.5" barrel, and weighs over 11 pound (unscoped). Great action and very accurate. Well able to up to 800 yards. After that barrel length lets it down.
    Tikka T3 Tac
    Great rifle. Heavy barreled, excellent action, decent stock (compared to the rest of the range) but still not great. Light enough and well able to hit the 600+ yards mark. Barrel length an issue after these distances.
    Unique Alpine
    Personally would not touch one. Ridiculously expensive, and incredibly heavy. Also issues with barrel. Have heard of lads having the barrels come "loose" while shooting. Not rumours, but from the lads that own them. Too much money for not enough rifle.
    AI
    Great rifle and well built, but a little expensive for a short barrelled rifle. Still excellent array of accessories and well able for up to 800 yards, much like the Blaser, where the barrel length becomes an issure after this.
    Mauser K98
    LE

Have absolutely no experince with these rifles. They seem, from watching lads shooting with them, that they are capable of 300+ yard shooting, not only well, but quite well. I'm sure they could possibly do more, but as i've not shot them i'll leave it up to others to fill in the blanks.

I have always said you will not get a great hunting rifle and great target rifle in the one package. They will either do one well and the other not so well due to their individual designs, and purposes. There are a fanastic array of rifles out there that up to 600 yards will give you all the "bang for your buck" you would want. If you are not concerned about serious competition shooting then i would be looking at rifles that come close to a target rifle design, while maintaining its hunting origins as this seems to be the primary purpose. In target shooting its stationary so weight is not an issue. In hunting you could be stalking/walking/hiking for hours so you would really want something in the 10-11 pound mark at most for comfort and ease of carry.

Look for heavy barrelled models from;
    Tikka.
    Sako.
    Savage.
    Remmy.
    Steyr.

Paersonally from the amount of money involved in the AI i would go custom. Something like a Borden Apline action, in one of Edi's composite stocks. Glass/pillar bedded with a 24-26" medium profile (palma possibly) barrel from Trueflite/Kreiger in 1:11 twist for the 155 - 175 rounds. Forget the mod (if you're not pushed about one), and then top it all of with a 20 MOA rail, Titanium rings, and a Sightron scope. Total cost would be somewhere in the €3500 - €4000 mark for the entire kit. Thats alot of money, but its built the way you want, will do everything you want, and is the same price or cheaper than some of the previous makes such as TRG/Blaser/AI, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

rowa wrote: »

Thats alot of gun for 600 euros .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Edit: (Some of this is a repeat of what Ezridax has posted - He already got in before me. But it looks like we're both pretty much in agreement on the main points)
    Dont mean to put you on the spot dCorbus, but I have looked at a few different rifles, and had limited down to the LE and AI but just cant decide on which one... heres what I was looking at, care to throw anymore suggestions out for me...

Jeez, you want me to answer that?:D:rolleyes:
    The Meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything? Good god! Where to start!:D

But seriously, for what you've been describing as your interests, this is my (very humble) opinion - I'm no expert and I'm only a newbie! Others will have far better and more experienced advice - and I will gladly bow to their knowledge on these matters, but here we go:

- Unique Alpine - NO (Nice, but ridiculously overpriced! Also, a bit "plasticy" for my tastes TBH)
    - AI AE / AW - NO (Nice, but far too expensive for the kind of shooting you're planning on doing)
    - Blaser (LRS2) - NO (Personally can't stand the look of the things myself, whilst I am a fan of tacticool, this yoke is another kettle of fish entirely. Plus at price of over €3500 it's an absolute waste of money.)

You've VERY expensive tastes for a man who says he's "not a very serious shooter".:D

Some others which you don't mention, but I'd hazard a good guess you've been looking at too:;)

- Steyr SSG04, 08, etc. - Again I'd say NO. I've never seen one of these outshoot a Sako or a Savage.
    - CZ 750 S1 / M1 - And Again I'd say NO. I've never seen one of these outshoot a Sako or a Savage. TBH this yoke really is all pants and no trousers IMO.

Second-hand TRG22 in .308 is what I've got and it's the dogs-gonads as far as I'm concerned. But, it's not suitable really for heavy hill-stalking (too heavy).

My advice to you would be to look at the following:

- Tikka T3's (My personal favourites are the T3 TAC and the T3 Super Varmint) - These are really good rifles and represent great bang-for-your-buck.
    - SAKO 85
    - SAKO 75
    - Remington 700 (Preferably second-hand which has already been customised and had the various "agricultural" bits fixed:rolleyes:)
    - Savage 12 Series Varmint
    - Savage 12 FTR
    - Savage 12 Long Range Precision
    - CZ 550 Varmint

All of the above in .308 - With a 24'' - 26'' heavier varmint-type barrel - screw-cut to take a mod - with a decent harris bipod - and you're good to go!

There are almost too many rifles to mention, but the above list should give you some starting-points.

(Massive apologies to anyone whose beloved rifle I have so discourteously slagged-off above. The above is my personal opinion only and I take no pleasure is denegrating another mans gun. To each their own. It's my advice to the OP only - and I'm happy for anyone to correct or disagree with me:o)

That looks a bit on the high side to me?:confused:
    Is John Kavanagh not selling K98's in various models from about €350 upwards?

Actually, one rifle the OP hasn't yet mentioned is the Schmidt Rubin K31. Certainly one to take a look at too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

Well the price is one of the big reasons the blaser is off the list. I agree with you, it does look a bit... out there, but after awhile it kinda grew on me. And then I was told that an AI would be cheaper and would be a better rifle anyway even if you were buying them both at same price.

Believe it or not I really am only a regular shooter. I got my redundancy a month or two ago and I figure before kids come into the equation Im going to splash out. And if I dont buy a good rifle now then I'll never get one. But saying that, Id still like to keep it cheap enough. Im not intentionally going out looking for expensive rifles. It just so happens the expensive come highly recommended.

Seems like the Tikka is getting a fair few ratings here on this site.

THe reason I had crossed the tikka off the list is because I read on snipercentral (Ill try and find the link again), that its an OK gun, nothing great. And I seem to remember there was a few "problems" mainly with the stock design if I remember correctly.

Can I just ask, everyone who has recommended the tikka tac, you have actually shot one personally (or better yet- own one)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Replacing the stock is no big deal.
    Edi Graef PSE Composites does a lovely Drab Olive green for Tikka.

I have one of his stocks on my Remington 700 VTR and it is a seriously cool (in my opinion)
    it has a 20" barrel and with an ASE mod on is 24" long. Length is an issue when stalking.
    Short barrelled rifles are really easy handle but have more muzzle flip. So use a Moderator or a Muzzle break.

The more you explain Arthur, the less I feel a Mil spec rifle is suited to you.
    As an occasional shooter, a rifle that is more point and shoot that I think would be more suited to you.
    The Tikka Tac is light enough to be shot from the shoulder, I saw Paulo6.5 hit a fox with his Tikka Tac.223 from the shoulder.

In fact, Paulo6.5 uses a Styer Tactical Elite out after deer, way heavier than my rifle bare, but very similar when I have my Bipod on

http://www.snipercentral.com/scout.htm

Worth looking at if you like Mil Spec but want something more useful

I personally know he shoot a lot of deer with his, far more deer than me.
    Although that might change this winter
    scout1.jpg

Good policy - Buy well, cry once!
    Get the best rifle you can afford to get IMO.
    I'm glad I got mine when I did - coz there's no way I'd have the funds now to buy it.

Keep a close eye out on the For Sale section here - There's usually loads of great rifles for decent money available. Also, look around the gun rooms of reputable RFD's to see what they have in stock (particularly on the second hand side of things - some real deals to be had out there).

If you get something with a decent action, there is no end to the customising you could do should you feel like a) a change or b) an upgrade:

Items readily upgradeable once the action is decent:
    - Trigger
    - Stock
    - Barrel
    - Barrel Crown
    - Blueprinting Action
    - Scope rails

You shouldn't need to upgrade a decent rifle at an early stage, but in the event that you may want to make things better later on, you can get one, some, or all of the above work done to a rifle (Once the action isn't a dog). There's now some good custom gunsmith's in Ireland (I can personally recommend Irish Custom Rifles http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com and others have had good work done elsewhere), so getting this work done will neither be too much hassle nor will it cost the earth.

On the question about the T3 TAC, I don't own one, but I have shot one or two - and for the money, they are a great rifle IMO. I'd have one over and above any Remmy700 (Now, that comment really is going to start a scrap!:()

I've also shot the T3 SuperVarmint in .223 and it's a beauty.

I've read the SniperCentral review (for what that's worth) of the T3 TAC and it's a pretty good review IMO. I'd agree that a more dropped pistol-grib profile would be better, but again that's a more personal thing and it's what I'm now used to from target shooting. Then again, my CZ .22 doesn't have a pistol grip and I'm grand with it, so it's really what you're used to, I suppose.

And again, you can always upgrade / customise the stock a later date too, e.g. get Edi to sort you out with a PSE-Composites Stock (Only down the road in Cork) http://www.pse-composites.com/index.html; or order in a McMillan or Manners stock from the States (assuming they'll actually export the damn things); or for that really special stock, have one customised, tailored, and made-to-measure by Enda in Gun Stocks Ireland http://www.gunstocksireland.com/

The options are endless!

BTW OP - Take a look at this ad for a TRG22 in .308 on here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65806824

I'm not sure if the gun has been sold - but it's a steal at the price he's looking for it.

I have absolutely no vested interest in this item: Although I do have to state for the record that I know the seller. He is a sound lad and a good shooter. I have shot against and alongside this gun. The gun will shoot well. And frankly, at the price, I'm surprised no-one has taken the arm off him yet! It's a f***in' steal. Seriously. Check it out anyway - It may be worth the look.

dCorbus wrote: »
    That looks a bit on the high side to me?:confused:
    Is John Kavanagh not selling K98's in various models from about €350 upwards?

Actually, one rifle the OP hasn't yet mentioned is the Schmidt Rubin K31. Certainly one to take a look at too!

Yes but in 8mm mauser which is a restricted calibre,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

Thanks for the tip on the TRG, I was looking at one of those in Ardee shooting grounds and it looked to be a lovely peice of work.

But like I said, Im not buying this new rifle till next year. And between now and then I'll have to see about getting myself a deer licence which from what I have heard can be a pain in the ar$e. Anyone know any farmers that wouldnt mind giving me permission for the deer..??? :D

Yes but in 8mm mauser which is a restricted calibre,

Good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Steyr SSG.308?Accurate,reasonably priced more or less .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Have a look at this arthur if you want a useable classic rifle , brand new lothar walther match barrel on it and does not need a restricted licence.

http://www.cgfirearms.co.uk/Detailed.aspx?ix=545&pg=&Arg=30-06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Hi Arthur,
    I owned an AI in .223 (Remy 700) up to very recently.
    I originally bought it for target shooting and thought I may be able to use it for a bit of bunny and fox shooting.
    I got it out a few times after Charlie and was fairly successful BUT... the shoulder would be torn off me by the time I got home.
    I got a biathlon sling which was great, but for the opportune shot that comes about when you least expect it, the sling was a bit too hard to get off quickly and safely and in time to take a shot.
    It was great to perch myself up on a bit of high ground and pop bunnys at 300 yrds and the odd red fella but as far as bringing the rifle over ditches etc, it was way too heavy.
    I'm getting into the stalking this season and have a Tikka T3 in .270 which is way easier for me carry around.
    The AI looks a feels great but as far as hunting with it, while it is possible, I'd recommed pumping weights for 6 months before setting out !
    Best of look to you, and safe shooting with whatever rifle you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

You could do worse than going for a Rem700, get yourself an A.I. stock and a second hunting stock.
    In my case a McMillan.
    Same rifle, just two drop in stocks. one for stalking, one for lazy lying down and targets.

ba81ce25.jpg
    2d30f729.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

@Below

while the scope is still attached to the barreled action, i assume you use the same scope for both, do you not have to confirm zero everytime that you do swap out your stocks?

newby.204 wrote: »
    @Below

while the scope is still attached to the barreled action, i assume you use the same scope for both, do you not have to confirm zero everytime that you do swap out your stocks?

If the action is bedded properly and there is no stress on the action zero will not change (or at least that's the case with my setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

If the action is bedded properly and there is no stress on the action zero will not change (or at least that's the case with my setup)

did you skim bed the AI stock?, i assume its a full pillar bedding job on the mcmillan?

newby.204 wrote: »
    did you skim bed the AI stock?, i assume its a full pillar bedding job on the mcmillan?

AI didnt need to be touched at all and yes full pillar bed etc on me millan.
    I bought the McMillan second hand and had to re-do the beding etc but thats besides the point i suppose, both brilliant stocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement