Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build question

Options
  • 17-07-2011 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Im putting together a new build for 1k.

Do I need to apply thermal paste anywhere if I choose to build myself?, do I need to buy thermal paste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

It depends.

Most of the AMD/Intel stock heatsinks come with thermal compound pre applied. If you are using an aftermarket cooler you may need to apply thermal paste to the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Even if you're using the stock cooler, I'd buy a tube, TBH. As long as you get something that doesn't expire, even a small tube will get 15-20 uses. Lower temps for €4? Sure, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 blehhhh

Im getting the i5 2500k and the Scythe Mugen 2 cooler.

Can anyone tell me if I will need to apply thermal paste or if this is pre applied.

Any instructions on how to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think they give it to you in a little sachet with the mugen 2. I'd buy my own, but if you won't be more building/upgrades/adjustments and aren't fussy about temperatures, I wouldn't bother.

Advertisement