Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad Dressings

Options
  • 17-07-2011 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi - First time foodie post here so im sorry if the thread on this was under my nose.

Im looking for some really good dressing recepies I've gotten all dressing lonely lately and need a few to try out in the hope the sun comes out before september :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I actually prefer undressed salads, but the two dressings I do use are:

Freshly squeezed lime juice & roughly chopped coriander. This is really good on baby spinach leaves.

Cottage cheese mixed with the juice of a large lemon, a good glug of olive oil and a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves. This is quite thick, so it doesn't dress the salad so much as sit on top of it, but by God, it's good. It's also excellent on steak. I love the contrast of hot, peppery steak with the cool, creamy dressing.

A bit of pesto loosened with olive oil is also nice on salad that's being served with lasagne, pizza, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My favourite dressing is just honey and balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A really good olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes a splash of lemon juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Olive Oil and Balsamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard is defintely my favorite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I go a bit over the top making salad dressing and put probably far too many ingredients in it but I do like my dressing:D

Very finely chopped shallot or small onion and a smashed and chopped clove of garlic.
    Dijon mustard - I like quite a bit.
    Honey - if you sweeten the dressing then it will take more vinegar and so be less oily.
    Salt and pepper.
    I usually use a blend of olive oil and sunflower or another neutral oil - the second oil lightens it a bit.
    I go a bit mad blending vinegars too: I use mostly sherry vinegar but use some white wine vinegar to lighten it a bit, I add a dash of balsamic to give it depth and a squeeze of lemon juice for that zing!
    A few drops of water takes away the harshness of the vinegar.

I make a 70cl bottle of this and it keeps for weeks in the fridge (maybe months).

I also like to make an Asian salad dressing sometimes:

Finely chopped spring onion, ginger, garlic.
    Honey.
    Soy sauce.
    Wasabi paste (if you have it)
    Miso paste (if you have it)
    A little mustard.
    Lemon or lime juice.
    Rice vinegar
    Sunflower and sesame oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I couldn't be bothered making a salad dressing, I'd only make a mess of it.

I'm looking for a dressing that hasn't got a very strong taste, maybe some kind of vinaigrette. Which one would you recommend to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm looking for a dressing that hasn't got a very strong taste, maybe some kind of vinaigrette. Which one would you recommend to buy?

None, I've never tasted a shop bought dressing that I like.
    It's hard to really feck up a vinaigrette.
    Even just oil, vinegar and mustard is good - anything else is just refining the recipe - 3:1, Oil:vinegar teaspoon mustard (I like Dijon best).

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Stock syrup cool slightly add mustard and apple juice black pepper and juice of a lime whisk( don't blend) and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Shop-bought dressings are rank - they often taste synthetic and not anything like the ingredients on the label.

My go-to sweet dressing: squeeze of lemon, splash of olive oil, and splash of maple syrup. Season with a little salt and black pepper, and stir well.

It goes very nicely with a rocket, tomato, red onion and feta salad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're really stuck and want shop bought, Helmann's French Dressing is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

January wrote: »
    If you're really stuck and want shop bought, Helmann's French Dressing is lovely.

I tried that but it's very strong. I like something mild.

I tried making my own with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was ok. I probably didn't mix it right.

Advertisement