Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portioning out bandwidth

Options
  • 17-07-2011 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about wireless routers and networks in general.

I'm looking to find out if the average wireless router portions out the bandwidth from a net connection evenly or how exactly the process works.

Also, seeing as a wired connection is faster, would someone plugged into the same router potentially end up hogging all that potential bandwidth, leaving anyone connected wirelessly with a terribly slow connection?

Just need to check this out as one of my housemates has the router in his room and has two devices connected while four others are connected wirelessly and there will be blood if it's not all shared out nicely come September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kowloon wrote: »
    I know nothing about wireless routers and networks in general.

I'm looking to find out if the average wireless router portions out the bandwidth from a net connection evenly or how exactly the process works.

Also, seeing as a wired connection is faster, would someone plugged into the same router potentially end up hogging all that potential bandwidth, leaving anyone connected wirelessly with a terribly slow connection?

Just need to check this out as one of my housemates has the router in his room and has two devices connected while four others are connected wirelessly and there will be blood if it's not all shared out nicely come September.

No it doesn't.
    You need to set up some form of QoS on the router to split your internet connection in equal portions for each machine on the network.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

If you dont do this one machine (someone downloading something) could completely take over the full download pipe on you net connection.

You'll need to do a bit of research to see if and how your router supports it.
    There'll be a bit of admin required to set it up initially.

It's not got too much to do with wired or wireless as you internet connection is probably less than the max speed of either connection.

Advertisement