Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 3 Legged Dog - Spayed on Thursday

• 17-07-2011 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all

We adopted a gorgeous 3 legged dog about a year ago. She was born missing her right front leg.

The Vet recommended waiting until she was fully grown to have her spayed and the operation was completed last Thursday.

It's my first time owning a dog so I don't have much experience let alone with a special little dog like this.

My problem is that given the little darling only has 3 legs, she absolutely HATES the e-collar as she can't get around with it on. She hops when walking and it hits off the ground every time she takes a step as her head bobs downward.

I took Friday off work to take care of her and have been practically awake all weekend to keep an eye on her as I'm trying to have the collar on her as little as possible as she's freaking out with it on.

I have to go back to work tomorrow and she won't be getting the stitches out until 25th.

Is there anything else I can get that might be more comfortable than this horrible plastic lampshade?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Yeah....you can get an inflatable neck collar have them in a lot of pet shops now....a bit pricey but worth it for ease of mind. Is she at her stitches or how many do you know does she have in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jd12345

She's only going to be alone for 3 hours at a time as my fiance and I work different shifts but I'd still be worried about her on her own :(

From what I can see and if I'm counting right around 12 stitches?

She's sleeping a lot as shes still on her pain meds but when she's up and moving about she tries to get at them alright.

I managed to get 3 hours sleep from 4:30am to 7:30am this morning with her having the collar on and being settled

Thanks for the advice Suzi, I'll send himself into petmania today to see if they have them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I can personally vouch for the inflatable collars for abdominal surgery wounds. Buster collars, I think, are often more traumatic than the surgery itself, but the inflatable collar allows the dog to do normal stuff like walking, eating, drinking etc. The dog can also use it as a pillow! It's a far nicer way to protect her stitches.
    They are only intended for abdominal wounds though, so aren't as effective for leg injuries as taller dogs can reach paws with the collar on.
    Just be aware its important to get the size right. Small for a westie-sized dog, medium for springer-ish sized dog, large for lab+ sized dog. I'm taking it your dog isn't big if the buster collar is hitting off the floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I like the idea of these but I would be wary with a long nosed dog like either of my sighthounds. I guess the only way to know would be to buy one & see. These look good:

http://www.comfycollars.co.uk/

Advertisement