Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Entrants - New Appointees

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

fade out wrote: »
    Saw this update about s+s 'Any teacher who, prior to February 1st, 2012, was in receipt of Department-paid salary may contract into the Supervision and Substitution scheme for the 2012/2013 school year and will receive Department payment for this.'

Just wondering if this applies to me...I only graduated this year but have been paid for sub work by dept since 2010.

Yes you are not a new entrant you ate only new to the s +s scheme. It makes no sense to allow people to opt in like that now and not new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ormall

Hi,

I have read through the thread here and from what I can gather if you have taught pre 2011 in either primary, post-primary, or vec either qualified or unqualified then you are on the old pay scale.
    I am a recent Hdape graduate and just did my first day of primary subbing a few weeks ago. I had no paid work in a school prior to this. So I would assume I will start on new scale.
    My question is about teaching at third level and whether this experience pre 2011 would have any bearing on things. I have done lectures in a national university since 2007 and with them I am on a pre jan2011 scale of pay and as far as I am aware it is public sector work but my pay was administered by the university not dept of education.

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

ormall wrote: »
    Hi,

I have read through the thread here and from what I can gather if you have taught pre 2011 in either primary, post-primary, or vec either qualified or unqualified then you are on the old pay scale.
    I am a recent Hdape graduate and just did my first day of primary subbing a few weeks ago. I had no paid work in a school prior to this. So I would assume I will start on new scale.
    My question is about teaching at third level and whether this experience pre 2011 would have any bearing on things. I have done lectures in a national university since 2007 and with them I am on a pre jan2011 scale of pay and as far as I am aware it is public sector work but my pay was administered by the university not dept of education.

I know someone who was in a similar situation. Unfortunately you will remain on the new payscale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ormall

I know someone who was in a similar situation. Unfortunately you will remain on the new payscale.

Thanks for that, much appreciated:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Quick question on the allowances if anyone could shed some light, I'm a bit mixed up on this -

I know new teachers will not receive allowances, but I read something on RTE that suggested the allowances are only cut for those who starting in 2012? Have they created a second tier of new entrants or does 'new entrant' still refer to anyone from Jan 2011?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Alqua wrote: »
    Quick question on the allowances if anyone could shed some light, I'm a bit mixed up on this -

I know new teachers will not receive allowances, but I read something on RTE that suggested the allowances are only cut for those who starting in 2012? Have they created a second tier of new entrants or does 'new entrant' still refer to anyone from Jan 2011?

There are many different tiers. You could be on new scale but getting allowances if you started teaching in Feb 2011 and got allowances then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

ormall wrote: »
    Hi,

The various payroll sections of different government bodies do not talk to each other. You will need to send the salary details showing when you were getting paid a public service salary to your new payroll section in the dept of ed. Based on the info above, you are on the 2007 conditions, whatever they might be. This applies for everyone who has questions about whether or not they are a new entrant into teaching. The level of qualification you held when working is usually not relevant, the point is getting paid a salary from a public service employer. You could have been working as a nurse with the HSE, and just now qualified as a teacher, this keeps you on the pre-2011 or pre -1995 salary scale, if there is no break in service.

The key issue here is a 'break in service'. If you break the service by a specified period (usually six months) then you become a new entrant. This means that if you are on the pre-1995 payroll (by far the best) and if you resign, then return to work 7 months later, you become a 'new entrant'. Likewise for all of the other major payroll changes, 2004 and 2011 being the most severe in terms of changes, it is a six month break in service that changes your rights.

One day of sub teaching, drawing salary from the public service, every six months, should be enough to hold your rights.

Career break and maternity leave do not constitue a break in service.

Many of the staff working in payroll are not educated in this area themselves, so you usually need to print out the relevant circulars,and post them in, if your claim is refused. It is incredibly complex, but over a lifetime in the public service, there could be hundreds of thousands in the difference. It pays to spend some time researching this area (by which I mean reading the relevant circulars, as they are full of strange loopholes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Equality wrote: »
    The various payroll sections of different government bodies do not talk to each other. You will need to send the salary details showing when you were getting paid a public service salary to your new payroll section in the dept of ed. Based on the info above, you are on the 2007 conditions, whatever they might be. This applies for everyone who has questions about whether or not they are a new entrant into teaching. The level of qualification you held when working is usually not relevant, the point is getting paid a salary from a public service employer. You could have been working as a nurse with the HSE, and just now qualified as a teacher, this keeps you on the pre-2011 or pre -1995 salary scale, if there is no break in service.

The key issue here is a 'break in service'. If you break the service by a specified period (usually six months) then you become a new entrant. This means that if you are on the pre-1995 payroll (by far the best) and if you resign, then return to work 7 months later, you become a 'new entrant'. Likewise for all of the other major payroll changes, 2004 and 2011 being the most severe in terms of changes, it is a six month break in service that changes your rights.

One day of sub teaching, drawing salary from the public service, every six months, should be enough to hold your rights.

Career break and maternity leave do not constitue a break in service.

Many of the staff working in payroll are not educated in this area themselves, so you usually need to print out the relevant circulars,and post them in, if your claim is refused. It is incredibly complex, but over a lifetime in the public service, there could be hundreds of thousands in the difference. It pays to spend some time researching this area (by which I mean reading the relevant circulars, as they are full of strange loopholes).

Please note Equality does not know if this is true. If anyone does know please let us know.

Advertisement