Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterpac Water Pump Problem

• 17-07-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

hello all, i dont know if any of yous know much about these pumps, they are an oldish water pump for pumping water into dwelling house and or around the farm.ive a problem with mine, it doesnt seam to be holding the pressure. the cut out point is 40 on the clock and when it drops back to 20 it will kick back in again. it usually will take about 10 to 15 mins to drop back even though there is no water been used, but if i let the pressure build up and close the outlet valve from the tank, the pressure holds.ive been told its probably the float control valve or i think they said a sifter valve if i said that right.ive been draining the tank every few months and that seemed to help because the tank seemed to be filling with water but that doesnt seem to work as good now.can anybody give me any advice. thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Obviously some valve is allowing the water back. Perhaps if you were to put a non return valve on the outlet pipe, it would stop this back flow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

Avns1s wrote: »
    Obviously some valve is allowing the water back. Perhaps if you were to put a non return valve on the outlet pipe, it would stop this back flow?
    that could be worth a try, thanks for the advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is it a pump with a pressure cylinder attached? If it is, the diaphragm might be leaking? Sorry I'm not a plumber, jus a ornary farmer after all:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is it a pump with a pressure cylinder attached? If it is, the diaphragm might be leaking? Sorry I'm not a plumber, jus a ornary farmer after all:pac:

I dont think there is a diaphragm in those pressure vessels. The snifter valve mentioned by the OP draws in air as necessary to provide the air cushion. AFAIK, its the valves in the actual pump itself that stops any back flow. Don't know if you'd be able to get them now. Those waterpak pumps could be about 50 years old.

the tank sits on the bottom of it and the pump is mounted on the top

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

it's years since i saw one of these

is the snifter valve half way up the end of the tank and connected to pump via a plastic pipe

it there is water in the pipe most likely the seal on the valve is worn or maybe just corroded,

check for leaks on your water outlet line just puzzled why the pressure hold up with the outlet closed, would indicate a leak imo

snowman707 wrote: »
    it's years since i saw one of these

is the snifter valve half way up the end of the tank and connected to pump via a plastic pipe

it there is water in the pipe most likely the seal on the valve is worn or maybe just corroded,

check for leaks on your water outlet line just puzzled why the pressure hold up with the outlet closed, would indicate a leak imo

From memory, the snifter valve is what that plastic pipe connects into on the pump itself.

I dont think this problem is related to the amount of air in the pressure vessel as if the air was low, then the pump would come on frequently but once off, the pressure should hold unless a tap is run.

It just struck me that if turning off the water outlet from the pump as per the OPs original post, then that would suggest that it's water going into the line that is causing the problem. While the OP may not be running off any water, I would suggest looking for a leak in the pipework between the pump and the tap(s).

Avns1s wrote: »
    I dont think there is a diaphragm in those pressure vessels. The snifter valve mentioned by the OP draws in air as necessary to provide the air cushion. AFAIK, its the valves in the actual pump itself that stops any back flow. Don't know if you'd be able to get them now. Those waterpak pumps could be about 50 years old.

june 1959 ours was installed the date was scratched in the wet plaster on the pump house,

if googling for parts etc afaik the original pumps were spelled "waterpak"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Surfn wrote: »
    ...... but if i let the pressure build up and close the outlet valve from the tank, the pressure holds....
    If the pressure holds when you close the outlet valve, then the problem is nothing to do with anything in the pump or cylinder.
    Does sound like you have a leak along the pipe, on the downstream side of this shut-off valve. Time to grab the shovel.

snowman707 wrote: »
    june 1959 ours was installed the date was scratched in the wet plaster on the pump house,

if googling for parts etc afaik the original pumps were spelled "waterpak"

You're right on the name. I was close on the date. We had one installed about 1974.

Googling shows this http://kearneypumps.goldenpages.ie/

One there in the pics made by grundfos.... it's early identical.

Still, I don't believe that the OPs problem is to do with the pump! As Pakalasa said, it's shoveltime!!

• Advertisement

just to let yous know it was a leak, was under the dwelling house too and there was plenty of spade work :)

glad you got sorted

Advertisement