Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Plus Sofas

Options
  • 17-07-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Bought a 3 and 2 seater from Cost Plus Sofas in December '09 for almost €1500. We're only using it since March '10 and already the springs have gone in both sofas and there's very little comfort to be had in sitting on it. I emailed Cost Plus Sofas and explained this to them but they've informed me that because its over 12 months since we bought it there's nothing they can do and they also said they haven't received any other complaints about this particular type of sofa. Is there any other avenue I can take this compaint or are they within their rights to do nothing about it? I would have expected to get at least a few more years out of it before the quality started to deteriorate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Sale of Goods and Services Act is your friend. The 12 month spiel probably only refers to a warranty claim and it may indeed be the case that they can't do anything under warranty. However warranties are only a perk on top of your statutory rights and cannot supersede them. The act requires the shop to offer you a repair, replacement or refund. You can refuse their offer and request something better but they can likewise reject your offer. If what they offer is reasonable it's often better to accept it

Talk to the branch manager, and ask him to resolve it under the SoGS. If he spins you a yarn send him a registered letter, outline the problem, your disappointment with the response you got so far, request whatever it is you want the shop to do and a deadline (must be a reasonable). If you still get not joy, go to the Small Claims Court, it's only €15 and you can register on-line and you don't need to attend in person. A judge will make a legally binding decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its amazing that someone in customer service who apparently got their position on merit doesn't know the sales and goods act. I don't believe that and think they are purposely telling you lies to fob you off so you will go away. Next they will be telling you that because you didn't buy there expensive warranty you have no rights.

A sofa if it was of merchantable quality would last longer that 2 years you should look for your offer of a repair, replacement or refund. I'd bypass the branch manager because they have very little power, try contacting this guy.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Kenlen

Thanks for that advice. I'll probably do both, great to know I have rights anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We don't post personal contact details of employees of any company on this site like that.

Please don't do it again.

Advertisement