Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on Farm/vinyard/fruitpicking work

Options
  • 17-07-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am in the early stages of planning a whv trip to Australia . I have my sights on melbourne at the moment . My loose plan at the moment is to try and get my regional work done first thing .

I was hoping that this would give me a little extra cash at the end so that when I come to Melbourne I will be able to support myself longer if it turns out that it is hard to find work.Also if I enjoy it I might stick at it for longer .

So My Questions really are ;

1 Is it realistic to plan to go to oz and find regional work quite quickly and to save a bit while doing it ?

2 Would it be possible to organise regional/farm work from Ireland so that I can hit the ground running or is it best done out there?Does any one know a good forum or website with job details?

3 I am in my late twenties and Im not so much into the full on party/jagerbomb every 2minutes thing anymore. Is it possible to avoid that scene?are there more relaxed hostels and house shares out there ?

Thanks for reading and for any help you can give .:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

1 Not really
    2 No
    3 Yes its easy to avoid any scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

1: Yeah I've met a lot of people who have found it quite easy to get farm work, just so long as you're willing to go anywhere and are proactive about looking for it. The money isn't great though and a lot of the time the accomadation you live in (like hostels for farm workers backpackers) are fairly expensive, so you might not save as much as you would think.

2: Best done out in Oz, but it is possible. Just google like hell and send out tonnes of emails, make phone calls. If you just come out to some of the big regional towns when you're here you'll usually see a lot of opportunities.

3: Yep, all kinds of farms over here, with all different kinds of living arrangements! All just depends on where you go working really.

Advertisement